overall

RATINGS: 1782   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Chicory Stout is a rich, dark beer made with a touch of roasted chicory, organic Mexican coffee, St. John's Wort, and licorice root. It is brewed with roast barley, crystal malt and oats and hopped just right with Glacier hops. We use fair trade Organic Mexican Coatepec beans roasted to our specifications by Notting Hill Coffee Roastery in Lewes, DE.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
baobubba (455) - Starkville, Mississippi, USA - NOV 29, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 13, 2003 A roasted malt aroma that is slightly fruity (prune). Cold coffee, very light chocolate, a light tartness to the aroma as well. Lighly sweet with a fairly quick finish of sweet roasted malt that has a slight herbalness to it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
SETANTA (582) - Bangor, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 25, 2002
complex bitter flavors... like burned herbs

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - NOV 23, 2002
Hmmmm....I want this beer to be good, but it really didnít live up to my expectations. While itís a decent stout with lots or coffee and roasted character, itís really no better than many other stouts in the same vein. I found it a bit watery. I guess I expected more from a brewery with such a reputation and expensive prices.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
herbjones (742) - Orange, California, USA - NOV 22, 2002
Very nice stout. Great bitter coffee flavor balanced by a hint of chocolate. Dogfish does it again!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 22, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 9, 2005 8/12/02: a mixture of all colors but leaving soley the color of tan to occupy the top seat..
Scents of raisins shot upon by chocolate bullets and lost kalamata olives soaked in sea salt...
A cup of hot cocoa on a late October night..roasted grains permeating the existence..turning creamy..turning bitter..
Re-Rate 8/19/02: detected more of a creamy coffee mouthful and a superb smoothness that must contribute to an added point..by the time I finished it, I had raised it 3 points all together..Its good..its damn good

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Nuffield (3637) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - NOV 14, 2002
Attractive in most dimensions. Welcoming aroma, like chocolate-chip banana muffins with mocha coffee. Nice appearance on pour. I donít understand the labelís claim to a "bone white" head--perhaps I havenít seen enough bones, but I thought it a caramel color, which clung to the side of the glass, with a deep body beneath (only a hint of brown at the edges). The flavor is bold--coffee and bittersweet chocolate. I donít know what chicory is, so I canít tell if thatís here! The palate seems to be most peopleís beef: yes, it is a bit watery or thin, but the tingling carbonation and surprising astringency on my tongue gave it a certain perkiness. This beer drove me to understand better the boundaries between porter and stout, because I thought I understood it, but I seemingly found it easier to enjoy this beer if I just called it a porter and enjoyed it for what it was.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - NOV 13, 2002
I hate to say it, but this was boring for a stout! I mean it is good – but after trying some outstanding Dogfish beers - my standards were raised! Typical coffee flavors - a good stout

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - NOV 13, 2002
One of the very last, easily-available beers which I avoided getting because I didnít think Iíd like it. But it was good. Slightly sweet and roasted, this thick, well-crafted stout almost made me forget how I donít like DFH beers all that much. Not one of the thicker stouts.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Dogbrick (7244) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - NOV 12, 2002
Tasted at the Barrelhouse Brewing Company Microbrew Fest on November 9. I still have not had the WWS yet but this seemed like a good lead-in. Poured a dark brown color with little head and lacing. Roasted coffee flavor with a dry finish. Not as good as the other beers I have tried from Dogfish Head but not a bad Stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - NOV 10, 2002
Not quite what I was expecting from the legendary Dogfish Head Brewery. There is obviously coffee in the aroma, but I am also picking up the licorice. Very bitter, the acidity from the coffee is apparent right off the bat and there never really seems to be adequate "oofta" from the malt to convince me this is a stout to stand the test of time. This has St. Johnís Wort in it? Allright, that seems kind of out of left field...maybe to make the drinkers happy and therefore buy more...I dunno. Thatís lovely they have the supplements to balance out mood swings, now where is the malt to balance out the coffee and licorice? This may be the first beer you can buy at GNC.