overall

RATINGS: 1795   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Chicory Stout is a rich, dark beer made with a touch of roasted chicory, organic Mexican coffee, St. John's Wort, and licorice root. It is brewed with roast barley, crystal malt and oats and hopped just right with Glacier hops. We use fair trade Organic Mexican Coatepec beans roasted to our specifications by Notting Hill Coffee Roastery in Lewes, DE.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
notalush (4959) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 30, 2002
This has a lot of dark roasted coffee in the aroma and flavor, with a very smokey, lingering finish. There isnít a lot of body, in fact, itís downright watery, which is disappointing. This is my first dogfish head beer, and Iím not all that impressed. Iíve got some more to try; hopefully theyíre better. [RE-RATE] I had to raise this from a 3.2. I still think itís a bit watery, but the flavor and finish are really starting to grow on me. Much more impressive on second tasting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jazz88 (2562) - San Francisco, California, USA - NOV 29, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 17, 2003 Rating #1 - Bottle (7 4 6 3 15). Black color with a brown head. Hard to figure out what the chicory does in this beer. The sweet flavors come through well especially in the finish as does the coffee. A slight syrup feel. Rating #2 - Tap @ Toronado (7 3 8 3 16). Black color. A cherry and wood aroma, with a flavor that is defined by chocolate and malts. Somewhat tart.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
apoptosis (1317) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 29, 2002
I like the finish of this beer, but it lacks fullness to the flavor. It doesnít smell like much either, but thereís something inviting about the smooth carbonation and hints of coffee.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
baobubba (455) - Starkville, Mississippi, USA - NOV 29, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 13, 2003 A roasted malt aroma that is slightly fruity (prune). Cold coffee, very light chocolate, a light tartness to the aroma as well. Lighly sweet with a fairly quick finish of sweet roasted malt that has a slight herbalness to it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
SETANTA (582) - Bangor, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 25, 2002
complex bitter flavors... like burned herbs

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - NOV 23, 2002
Hmmmm....I want this beer to be good, but it really didnít live up to my expectations. While itís a decent stout with lots or coffee and roasted character, itís really no better than many other stouts in the same vein. I found it a bit watery. I guess I expected more from a brewery with such a reputation and expensive prices.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
herbjones (742) - Orange, California, USA - NOV 22, 2002
Very nice stout. Great bitter coffee flavor balanced by a hint of chocolate. Dogfish does it again!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 22, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 9, 2005 8/12/02: a mixture of all colors but leaving soley the color of tan to occupy the top seat..
Scents of raisins shot upon by chocolate bullets and lost kalamata olives soaked in sea salt...
A cup of hot cocoa on a late October night..roasted grains permeating the existence..turning creamy..turning bitter..
Re-Rate 8/19/02: detected more of a creamy coffee mouthful and a superb smoothness that must contribute to an added point..by the time I finished it, I had raised it 3 points all together..Its good..its damn good

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Nuffield (3711) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - NOV 14, 2002
Attractive in most dimensions. Welcoming aroma, like chocolate-chip banana muffins with mocha coffee. Nice appearance on pour. I donít understand the labelís claim to a "bone white" head--perhaps I havenít seen enough bones, but I thought it a caramel color, which clung to the side of the glass, with a deep body beneath (only a hint of brown at the edges). The flavor is bold--coffee and bittersweet chocolate. I donít know what chicory is, so I canít tell if thatís here! The palate seems to be most peopleís beef: yes, it is a bit watery or thin, but the tingling carbonation and surprising astringency on my tongue gave it a certain perkiness. This beer drove me to understand better the boundaries between porter and stout, because I thought I understood it, but I seemingly found it easier to enjoy this beer if I just called it a porter and enjoyed it for what it was.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - NOV 13, 2002
I hate to say it, but this was boring for a stout! I mean it is good – but after trying some outstanding Dogfish beers - my standards were raised! Typical coffee flavors - a good stout