overall

RATINGS: 1797   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Chicory Stout is a rich, dark beer made with a touch of roasted chicory, organic Mexican coffee, St. John's Wort, and licorice root. It is brewed with roast barley, crystal malt and oats and hopped just right with Glacier hops. We use fair trade Organic Mexican Coatepec beans roasted to our specifications by Notting Hill Coffee Roastery in Lewes, DE.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Nuffield (3717) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - NOV 14, 2002
Attractive in most dimensions. Welcoming aroma, like chocolate-chip banana muffins with mocha coffee. Nice appearance on pour. I donít understand the labelís claim to a "bone white" head--perhaps I havenít seen enough bones, but I thought it a caramel color, which clung to the side of the glass, with a deep body beneath (only a hint of brown at the edges). The flavor is bold--coffee and bittersweet chocolate. I donít know what chicory is, so I canít tell if thatís here! The palate seems to be most peopleís beef: yes, it is a bit watery or thin, but the tingling carbonation and surprising astringency on my tongue gave it a certain perkiness. This beer drove me to understand better the boundaries between porter and stout, because I thought I understood it, but I seemingly found it easier to enjoy this beer if I just called it a porter and enjoyed it for what it was.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - NOV 13, 2002
I hate to say it, but this was boring for a stout! I mean it is good – but after trying some outstanding Dogfish beers - my standards were raised! Typical coffee flavors - a good stout

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - NOV 13, 2002
One of the very last, easily-available beers which I avoided getting because I didnít think Iíd like it. But it was good. Slightly sweet and roasted, this thick, well-crafted stout almost made me forget how I donít like DFH beers all that much. Not one of the thicker stouts.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Dogbrick (8658) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - NOV 12, 2002
Tasted at the Barrelhouse Brewing Company Microbrew Fest on November 9. I still have not had the WWS yet but this seemed like a good lead-in. Poured a dark brown color with little head and lacing. Roasted coffee flavor with a dry finish. Not as good as the other beers I have tried from Dogfish Head but not a bad Stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - NOV 10, 2002
Not quite what I was expecting from the legendary Dogfish Head Brewery. There is obviously coffee in the aroma, but I am also picking up the licorice. Very bitter, the acidity from the coffee is apparent right off the bat and there never really seems to be adequate "oofta" from the malt to convince me this is a stout to stand the test of time. This has St. Johnís Wort in it? Allright, that seems kind of out of left field...maybe to make the drinkers happy and therefore buy more...I dunno. Thatís lovely they have the supplements to balance out mood swings, now where is the malt to balance out the coffee and licorice? This may be the first beer you can buy at GNC.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 28, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2003 Re-rate: I had to bump this up just a bit. I still feel it's a pretty average sweet stout, but this time I picked up a fair amount of chocolate, to go with the light coffee and roasted flavors. Not on par with most of DFH, but a decent beer nonetheless. 10/28/2002: 3.0 Dark brown with a hint of red. The head is light chocolate brown, but virtually non-existant. The flavors of coffee and roasted malts are reminiscent of Bell's Java Stout and the Redhook Double Black, but are much more mild and relaxed. A nice beer, but not outstanding. Just too thin and too subtle in flavor.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 28, 2002
Dark brown with a smallish dark head. Coffee, and burnt wood aroma. Hoppy and bitter flavors, along with a lactic sourness. Flavors include coffss, bitter chocolate, with a touch of smoked peat. This one does not impress.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
kyzr (1153) - Belgrade, Montana, USA - OCT 27, 2002
Head was medium, wonderful dark color. Great coffee flavor with a bit too much carbination. Finish was a little watery. Good beer, would buy it again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
slimjim (106) - New Jersey, USA - OCT 16, 2002
smoth with a great hint of coffee. This stout is worth a try and one of my top 10

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 14, 2002
Off white head, dissipates quickly. Aromas of coffee/roasted grain. Dark ruby blackish hue. Somewhat thinner than expected. Nice malts nice sweetness, enjoyable coffe finish, slight bitterness. Not spectacular, but definately drinkable. When this warms up it kind of develops some more complex characteristics.