Dogfish Head Chocolate Mild

Formerly brewed at Dogfish Head Brewery
Style: Mild Ale
Milton, Delaware USA
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 2.55/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.61   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Brewed with lots of chocolate malt and 2 1/2 lbs of baking cocoa in each batch.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
DCopperfields (145) - Alabama, USA - FEB 4, 2004
Pours an amber color with a quickly dissipating off-white head. No lace from this brew. I don't detect any cocoa in the nose. I can't quite describe what I am smelling here, but it isn't strong. Just mild malt aroma. Soft, light to medium mouthfeel. Smooth, with cocoa on the finish. Not bad, but nothing to write home about. Sam doesn't usually sell this one outside of his restaurant, but I guess it is one of his only "light" offerings.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Oakes (12352) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAY 6, 2003
Dark chestnut brown. Light cocoa nose - I wish I could find more but the brewpub served it ice cold and since they should know better I wasn't going to give them patience. A light nutty note. In addition to being near-frozen, it was way overcarbonated for the style. Reminds me of when the BJCP "expert" judges criticized my homebrew mild for being undercarbonated when it had the perfect cask level of about half what you'll find in a lager. Book learning isn't good for much if you haven't logged the miles. Back to the beer...vague milk chocolate and a hint of malt.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
daboskabouter (1470) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 5, 2003
Dark brown color with a tinge of red poking through. Light chocolate and raisins in the nose. Sweet malt poking around too. Light hoppiness at the beginning getting towards a sweet candyish, sweet malty middle. Good flavors, but finishes light and short.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
LilBill66 (9) - Glassboro, New Jersey, USA - APR 11, 2003 does not count
I love this beer. A session ale from Dogfish...bite your tongue. I quaffed this ale in the brewpub on my last trip down. Dark and rich in flavor. The Chocolate stood out till the last tilt of my mug. It inspired me to brew my own Chocolate mild when I got home.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
hopscotch (9056) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - MAR 11, 2003
This ale has a deep copper hue and a small, creamy off-white head. Fully diminishing. Leaves interesting lacework on the glass. The aroma is lightly malty with notes of milk chocolate and toasted cashews. The flavor is lightly malty and pungent with small hints of the baking cocoa up front. Well-balanced with moderately pungent and lightly bitter hops on the backside. Light-bodied with a lightly creamy mouthfeel and fizzy carbonation. Short, crisp, clean finish. Excellent session beer. Recommended if you can get your hands on it.