overall

RATINGS: 1561   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Vast in character, luscious & complex. Brewed with peat-smoked barley, this strong ale is brewed with organic juniper berries, vanilla & maple syrup. Itís aged on oak and fermented with a blend of English & Belgian yeasts.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
3fourths (8637) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JUL 20, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 13, 2012 Bright orange hue with a light tan head. Aroma of peaches and paint. Very sweet, cloying... harsh crisp bite of apricots and gin. Very dry, but with residual sweetness of overripe fruit. Want some orange soda and gin?

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jercraigs (8666) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 10, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 5, 2006 July 2006 - Dark amber brown with a small tan head that could be more persistent. Woody alcoholic aroma is a bit rough but interesting, a bit of smoke emerges with a swirl of the glass and refuses to leave after that. Sweet caramel malt flavours, earthy woods notes, notes of smoke may only be paranoia. Fairly sweet throughout. Medium palate is a touch flat but still quite nice (3+). I am probably under rating this but I had hoped for more. 6/3/7/4/15 - 3.5 <P> Nov 2000 - Label says it has notes of vanilla, and maple... Maybe? Different from the Old Crustacean, not as harsh, but Im not sure I like it... A bit too much for me. Not a good start for my excursions into barleywines. 8/3/4/2/10 - 2.7

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
roomtempbeer (185) - Franklin, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 10, 2003
Beer pours (in Chimay glass) a darker ruby-golden color with very little off-white head that disapates quickly. Aroma is sweet of strawberries, raspberries and ripe pears. Flavor is a noticiable alcohol that strains the ease to drink, but also covers a nice berry flavor. This beer warms the belly quickly. Overall, too strong in alcohol for my taste, when the taste is covered by it. Sampled at 73 degrees Fahrenheit.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BtownBrewer (91) - Belchertown, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 6, 2003
Immort Ale? Wrong. Form Ale Dehyde. I just, ugh, couldn't find anything about this one that I could point at and say, "Well, at least I like THAT". Sure it's complex, but I can't say appropriately so. Then again, maybe I'm just not a barleywiner.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
ericnixon (741) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 6, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 6, 2005 So, iím hanging out with Btownbrewer and his wife and we are having a bottle of this. iím smelling it and tasting it and iím trying so hard to think of what it tastes like. itís so very complex that i was having trouble picking out individual flavors. then all of a sudden she proclaims "Lemon wet dog." after i heard that i couldnít get that picture out of my mind and thatíll all i could think of when i tasted it. Lemon wet dog.

Shag (2698) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - JUL 5, 2003
My first barley wine. Ive been wanting to try this style for a while. Appearance is reddish brown. Aroma is mainly alcohol with some grapes and vanilla present. Flavor is rich with a strong alcohol presence. Tastes of grapes, vanilla, and I can sense that oak in there. Palate is nice with an alcohol warming effect on your tounge. I could imagine this going rather well with a good cigar or a rich dessert. I like it!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
thedm (5158) - Fort Wayne, USA - JUN 29, 2003
This brew pours a small head of fine to medium sized bubbles that were mostly diminishing. Its body was a transparent light amber color. It had a strong maild high alcohol content aroma. Its flavor was that of alcohol and was very strong. It had a strong initila bite that smoothened in its finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheBeerGod (5593) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - JUN 23, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 18, 2003 Attractive translucent bronze with a splash of maroon. Nose is full of vanilla, malt and apples. The taste is more of the vanilla and sour apples and possibly brown sugar. Finishes with a sweet sour aftertaste but is a very fine beer. ***Man does this smooth out after 6 months! Nose sweetens up and the alcohol and vanilla seem to be more upfront. NICE beer. I need to get more of this!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
EricTheRed (82) - Plainfield, Illinois, USA - JUN 22, 2003
mahogany color, no head, sugary malty aroma, and perfectly balanced tastes. the texture is smooth and clean without being boring or overwhelming. a very nice example of the style.

Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - JUN 17, 2003
This is absolutely the smoothest barley wine I've tasted. Tons of fruit flavor is rounded with a distinctively vanilla aftertaste. The aftertaste aternates between being smooth and slightly tangy. I could drink this all night and never know it was 11%. I consider myself a hophead but there was a velvet quality to this brew that hops cannot deliver.