overall

RATINGS: 1621   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Vast in character, luscious & complex. Brewed with peat-smoked barley, this strong ale is brewed with organic juniper berries, vanilla & maple syrup. It’s aged on oak and fermented with a blend of English & Belgian yeasts.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
HoppyBunny (88) - Temptation, Michigan, USA - JAN 6, 2004
I found this beer to be pretty good, upon first taste I thought I was licking a sour cherry candy dip, but enjoyed it. It was a little cloudy and did not keep good head. By no means makes this a bad beer.. Way to go!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - JAN 6, 2004
Pours cloudy copper with nice ivory head. First taste is tart, sour cherry. Nice tart finish. I didn't taste any of the maple or vanilla that they boast on the label.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
warrior (213) - Mt. Wolf, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 4, 2004
Nice med copper color with a small cream colored head. Fruity, malty and some alcohol aromas. Nice sweet but not cloying with some complex flavors. I read the description and can pick up hints of the vanilla flavor. If I did not read it I probably would not have tasted it as quickly. The alcohol is well hidden in this very well made beer. I get some bitterness that helps offset the malt sweetness. A very good barley wine!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SiddFinch (155) - Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 31, 2003
A little different than your typical barleywine. The vanilla and maple dominate over the typical breadiness of most barleywines. The alcohol is hidden better than most (as is the case with most DFH stuff).

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
bu11zeye (12717) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - DEC 30, 2003
(Bottle) Pours a cloudy dark amber color with a medium-sized white head. Had a strong alcohol and floral aroma with flavors of maple and vanilla. Topped off with an apple aftertaste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Admiral (524) - Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 26, 2003
My brandy snifter is missing and Goodwill didn't have any snifters for sale today, so I'm drinking this from one of my Rodenbach stem glasses. Deep red-brown, scant head. Indescribably complex aroma. Fairly full body. Rather pleasing up-front slivovitz-like alcohol, fruitiness (prunes, dried apricots, dates), oak, vinous notes, and some interesting interplay between the differing bitternesses of juniper and hops. I can't really taste any distinct vanilla or maple, but they may both synchronize with similar notes from the wood. The peat-smoked barley is very subtle, perhaps buried behind everything else. Even though some of the ingredients weren't all that obvious, this is a very very well-harmonized beer, and quite warming.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dirtymike (2016) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - DEC 24, 2003
Deep copper in color with a small white head.Fruity/spicy/yeasty aroma.Huge malt flavor with a touch of fruit and spice.Bitter/sweet and very warming with alcohol.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
biermonk (265) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - DEC 17, 2003
Poured from bottle at slightly below room temp. Color was ahazy orange. Aroma was exceedingly complex; saturated with fruit tones citrusy mostly but also picked up hints of some darker fruits prunes/raisins: maybe some vanilla. Flavor was also immenseley complex. Sweet with caramel, some vanilla and some hints of maple syrup. very warming. I found it to be a steal @ $16.99 for a sixer( although I did drive 2.5 hours to get it).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
raindog (560) - Evansville, Indiana, USA - DEC 12, 2003
2-3yr old bottle. Hazy gold. Very little head,light lacing. Complex aroma of maple,peat,smoke,tropical fruit,vanilla. Smooth,silky body. Thick texture. Lots of malt,vanilla,maple,oak in the flavor. Finish is smokey,peat,lightly fruity.Much more soft than I remember it being,still just as complex. Bought a sixer 2-3 years ago and just had the last one,which from what I remember is the best! I must get more,even at 15$ a sixer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - DEC 11, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 14, 2007 Hazy golden orange with very litle head. Aroma is sweet, maple syrup, apples and vanilla. Flavor is quite complex, the maple is there but also sour apples, sweet malt and champagne yeast. Very crisp and effervescent. Overall not my favorite in this style but still a decent product from a great brewery.Update 8/05 Lots of oak coming through. I hadn’t noticed this when I first took notes. The maple syrup is also prominent and the carbonation is softer on this batch. I’m really digging this one.Update 6/07 Hazy cider colored, thin layer of head.Maple and cinnamon with vanilla in nose. Syrupy mouthfeel. Really sweet and sugary with a slight metallic flavor. Not what I remembered.