overall

RATINGS: 1619   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Vast in character, luscious & complex. Brewed with peat-smoked barley, this strong ale is brewed with organic juniper berries, vanilla & maple syrup. It’s aged on oak and fermented with a blend of English & Belgian yeasts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
CrazyPete (3) - Lincoln, Rhode Island, USA - NOV 5, 2003 does not count
Poured with a very minimal head, which seemed odd compared to other reviews I've read. Appearance was very nice, like melted maple candy. The aroma was quite inviting, vanilla, maple and a hint of smokiness (?) were present, as was a tinge of alcohol. The taste was much too sharp upoon first sip, it didn't hide the alcohol very well, though I had just purchased a six-pack of this bottled in August of this year, so I'd imagine it mellows over time. Overall not a bad beer, but definitely not one to drink every day, or for a long while yet. I'll have to let this age a bit longer before trying it again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - OCT 31, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 6, 2004 Cask update: 2 year old cask at Andy's Corner Bar, Bogota, NJ. Awesome smmooth, complext malty character that is nearly indescribable. Yum Yum. Bottle (first taste): Aged almost 1 year in my cellar. Pours cloudy with a white lasting head. Aroma of smoke, vanilla, maple, carmel, cedar, alcohol, and paper bag (but not complex at all). Perfect carbonation assists the smokey flavor of the thick and gooey malt as it flows eligantly over the spongey surface of the tongue (I think the word tongue is not used nearly enough on Ratebeer). The wonderful flavors of vanilla, maple, cedar, malt, alcohol, fudge, and whatever else I can think of blend wonderfully on the palate. I did not think that this was all that great when I tried it last December 2002. But now it can be made a favorite. The worste part is now I need to buy another six pack and let it sit for 10 or 11 months before drinking. Live and learn.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JonR888710 (999) - Cochabamba, BOLIVIA - OCT 30, 2003
Ruby-red body with some darker shades of brown. Head of off-white bubbles starts large initially, then subsides to a nice cream crown atop the beer. Smells sweet & syrupy with maple, apple and peach. Silky smooth, medium thick texture on the tongue. Taste is assertive and strong, starting sweet then making its way to a cheek-watering bitter. Along the way my taste buds approach peach, honey, as well as the maple, vanilla and oak the label advertises. 11% alcohol is hidden flawlessly in the drying finish. This is a delicious beer, certainly in my Top 5 favorites from Dogfish. Only curiousity about this beer, was that after the bottle sat on my table for 15 minutes, when I opened the cap a massive overflow of bubbles spilled causing me to lose about 1 to 1.5 oz (WEIRD!). Other than that, this is a well-crafted and executed beer. Sampled from a 12 oz. bottle purchased at Whole Foods in Vienna, VA. (Sampled at cellar temperature, not refrigerated)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TChrome (1448) - Bedford, Texas, USA - OCT 29, 2003
Not going to be my favorite barley wine. Aroma is a bit subdued, and seems to lack hops. Appearance is a little thin looking for a barley wine. Flavor is too sweet for my taste and palate is also thinnish. Somebody find my an Old Knumbskull.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - OCT 29, 2003
A very interesting and yet surprisingly complex barleywine. A very pretty, hazy amber color in the pour with a nice head, and a luscious aroma. The taste is quite sweet, with a maple syrup feel in the mouth, kind of sweet and sticky, kind of candy like, with a bit of a smoked taste in the finish. Very tasty.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
kumite56 (473) - Cordova, Tennessee, USA - OCT 26, 2003
A very nice Barley Wine. Deep red cloudy beer with a small white head. Nice malty nose with a hint of sweetness / candy. Flavor is rich and complex. A noticable alcohol presence but well masked by the cornucopia of flavors including hops, vanilla, and an oakey taste. Much better than Big Foot in my opinion. I was plesantly surprised.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
baobubba (454) - Starkville, Mississippi, USA - OCT 23, 2003
Gorgeous clear red amber color body with only a sheet of variable sized bubbles. Strong malt aroma of grapes, and light caramel. Sweet and smooth with caramel coming out on hte taste as well as a hint of bubblegum. Bitterness grabs the sides of the tongue. Solid brew

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
ancherrera (162) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 20, 2003
Way too sweet and alcoholic in flavor for my taste. Loved gthe look of the beer and the smell but could not get past the overpowering flavors. There is just too much going on with this beer. I really thought I would like it but was disappointed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
unclebleen (620) - California, USA - OCT 19, 2003
Gold orange color with small white head. Smells really nice, alcoholic, nice hops and some fruit. Taste is very sweet up front, with nice smokey flavors coming out at the end. Nice syrupy body.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
P-tor44 (886) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - OCT 17, 2003
In sweet passed out delirium deep inside my closet I find myself in the UP on a beatiful october afternoon. Wandering around giant maple trees with greenish brown bark and a hefty plate of pancakes doused in maple syrup, honey and some extrodinarily pugnet whipped cream. The bronze late afternoon sky with puffy rolling cumulus clouds with flat bottoms closely grouped together is a joy to behold as I begin ravenously eating the pancakes and chewing on some of the green mossy flakey bark of the maples. The bark fits in nicely with its odd herbal piney coating, where this tree bark sauce came from, I cease to understand. I get the faint smells of of a camp fire far off, a beatiful mingling of cedar, oak and pine. In overwhelming excitement I fall backwards into a heap of wet leaves, cushioned by soft oranges, yellows, greens and faint reds I open my mouth and miraculously an odd vanilla syrup drips into my mouth from tree limbs above hitting the back of my throat like shitty red wine drank through a pouron, only much better. Its a good beer