overall

RATINGS: 2228   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Indian Brown Ale A cross between a Scotch Ale, an I.P.A, and an American Pale, this beer is well hopped and malty at the same time. It is brewed with Aromatic Barley and caramelized brown sugar. - 50 IBU available year round, bottles & draft - Descriptors: Notes of molasses, coffee, ginger, raisinettes, chocolate

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Ubiquibeer (140) - Cleveland, USA - OCT 6, 2003
I must admit it took me a while to tune my tastebuds for this ale. I've never been a fan of brown ales, and even though I see this is a well made brew, I find the carmelized brown sugar malt flavor a little harsh. This ale does have a nice bitter finish that saves it a little for me though.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
gsmitty80 (1741) - Washington DC, USA - OCT 1, 2003
I enjoyed this brown ale. Right amount of sweetness and bite. Very good brown ale, not like anything ive had before.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
aaronh (201) - McMurray, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 30, 2003
This chestnut brown beer pours with a medium tan head that displays excellent retention. As it slowly fades, it leaves behind a layer of film that hints at maltiness in the beer. It also leaves more of a sheeting than a lace on the glass sides. The aroma is nutty, with a quality I can't quite pinpoint. Almost like a chocolate malted milkshake. Very little hops going on there. The flavor is strong on roasted malt, with some very evident chocolate notes. A bit of english walnut slides in as well. Alcohol is very apparent on the finish, as is strong roasted coffee notes. Very flavorful and powerful for a brown. A bit of bitterness is also there, but it seems more like coffee bitterness than hops. The sweetness seems to come from the alcohol, but there is a big malt background to back this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
McWhite (108) - Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 23, 2003
Nice brown color with a tasty creamy head. Good balance of hops and malt with a bit of a toasted flavor. I'd definitely get this again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Admiral (524) - Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 22, 2003
Deep red-brown, diminishing tan head. Fully malty, solid hoppiness in both aroma and flavor. Some roast. Quite tasty.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Yeastmaster (44) - USA - SEP 22, 2003
A very aromatic brown with a beautiful color and nice creamy head. Excellent flavor - smooth and malty - but the alcohol content adds too much of a tang to finish. I don't understand aracauna's comments below -- the nose-tickle at the end ruins the experience. If the brewers would cut back on the Scotch Ale factor, this would be an excellent brown. As it is, it's not worth the price.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
1more4dessert (326) - Upstate, New York, USA - SEP 22, 2003
Very dark brown with medium lasting head. Nice maltiness at first blush but the hops definately kick up the finish. Hoppier than most browns which makes it score high in my book. I was afraid that tasting it after 2 draft 90min DFH offerings that it would not register - I was surprised

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - SEP 19, 2003
Tastes like a brown with a lot of alcahol. I was hoping this would have more body than a regular brown, but it doesn't really. Nice creamy head. Kind of nutty with apple tartness. Finish is dry, and has a bit of cocoa. I'm glad I bought a single and not the whole six pack considering the price. The only brown I really enjoy so far is the Rogue Hazelnut.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Discofish (152) - USA - SEP 18, 2003
It pours a nice creamy head, with a nose of caramel and fruit. The taste is a hint of fruit then caramel. Nice smooth finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DubbelO7 (42) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 17, 2003
Good stuff. I am intrigued that they claim this is a combination of 3 styles. I bought a "Tackle Box" sampler/variety case that Dogfish puts out and it's probably my favorite of all 4 in there. I love Scotch ales, IPA and APA's so this is a logical fit . The ABV is nice, don't have to drink a bunch to get your buzz on. Brown for sure in color with a gentle lacey head and tease of alcohol vapor in the bouquet . I'll buy more of this one i'm sure .