overall

RATINGS: 2228   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Indian Brown Ale A cross between a Scotch Ale, an I.P.A, and an American Pale, this beer is well hopped and malty at the same time. It is brewed with Aromatic Barley and caramelized brown sugar. - 50 IBU available year round, bottles & draft - Descriptors: Notes of molasses, coffee, ginger, raisinettes, chocolate

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
aracauna (2997) - Georgia, USA - SEP 9, 2003
I was surprised at the reserved nature of this beer. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent brown ale, but I was expecting something over the top from Dogfish Head. Actually, I guess a 7.2% brown ale is over the top, but you can't taste it. Alcohol is nowhere to be found in the aroma or flavor. The body is a nice clear rubied leather. The cream-colored head is thick and slow to subside. Nice texture. The aroma has a bit of chocolate and toffee, really malty with a slight hop bite underneath. The flavor is the same way, smooth creamy malts, a bit sweet, but the hops are present just enough to cut through the sweetness and leave this a very drinkable but still flavorful brown. The body is surprisingly thin given the alcohol content and huge maltiness of the flavor. Must be the brown sugar.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
DiamondD (38) - Sammamish, Washington, USA - SEP 6, 2003
Pours a very dark brown with a hint red woven in. Distinct coffee and caramel in the nose along with some subtle fruitness. Quite complex aroma. Medium body. This beer is more like a cross between an imperial stout, a brown and an american pale. Very long lasting coffee finish. Not really my style. If your a stout fan this one you'll probably like.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Yankovitch333 (612) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - SEP 1, 2003
Last week I drank this beer along with a 90 Minute IPA at the Dogfish Head brew pub down in Rehobeth Beach. I am not a big fan of brown ales but I really enjoyed this one. Or maybe I enjoyed it more because I was sitting at the bar in the Dogfish Head pub? I live about an hour and 20 minutes from the place and it was the first time I had been there. It's a great place. More like I had died and gone to heaven.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
baseballguy (246) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 28, 2003
I thought this was a better-than-average brown ale, but my bottle was explosively frothy so sometime soon I would like to try another sample.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
EKGoldings (526) - Radford, Virginia, USA - AUG 27, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 16, 2007 Bottle.. This beer came across like a mutt, not an IPA, not a brown ale, somewhere in between. Forget that though, this is a tasty beer. I was not expecting 7.2% alcohol, the flavors are rich and balanced. Excuse me for not writing more, but I’m heading to the store to buy a 6-pak of this stuff.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
temporrari (380) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - AUG 26, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 1, 2005 Very good. Great flavor, like an IPA mixed with a brown, some strong hops. Lots of brown sugar.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Wrath (362) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - AUG 25, 2003
Dark brown color medium tan head. Hoppy aroma. Sweet fruity malt taste with a little carbonation. Finishes hoppy with a little bitterness. nice brown

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 23, 2003
Beautiful garnet-brown, tan head and decent lacing. Sweet roasted malts, coffe and a little earthiness. Sweet and tart, malty backbone, hops and a fascinating bitter floral finish. Medium body, nicely carbonated.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
haddon90 (1385) - Denver, Colorado, USA - AUG 22, 2003
Nice deep brown color with a tan head. Plenty of hops and malt. Very impressed with this. Had at Barley's in Knoxville, TN.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - AUG 21, 2003
The commercial description is right on. Lots of hops, lots of malt as well. Nice looking dark brown, decent head. Malty flavor with a bitter finish. Quite good