overall

RATINGS: 2475   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Indian Brown Ale A cross between a Scotch Ale, an I.P.A, and an American Pale, this beer is well hopped and malty at the same time. It is brewed with Aromatic Barley and caramelized brown sugar. - 50 IBU available year round, bottles & draft - Descriptors: Notes of molasses, coffee, ginger, raisinettes, chocolate

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
McWhite (108) - Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 23, 2003
Nice brown color with a tasty creamy head. Good balance of hops and malt with a bit of a toasted flavor. I'd definitely get this again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Admiral (524) - Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 22, 2003
Deep red-brown, diminishing tan head. Fully malty, solid hoppiness in both aroma and flavor. Some roast. Quite tasty.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Yeastmaster (44) - USA - SEP 22, 2003
A very aromatic brown with a beautiful color and nice creamy head. Excellent flavor - smooth and malty - but the alcohol content adds too much of a tang to finish. I don't understand aracauna's comments below -- the nose-tickle at the end ruins the experience. If the brewers would cut back on the Scotch Ale factor, this would be an excellent brown. As it is, it's not worth the price.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
1more4dessert (334) - Upstate, New York, USA - SEP 22, 2003
Very dark brown with medium lasting head. Nice maltiness at first blush but the hops definately kick up the finish. Hoppier than most browns which makes it score high in my book. I was afraid that tasting it after 2 draft 90min DFH offerings that it would not register - I was surprised

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - SEP 19, 2003
Tastes like a brown with a lot of alcahol. I was hoping this would have more body than a regular brown, but it doesn't really. Nice creamy head. Kind of nutty with apple tartness. Finish is dry, and has a bit of cocoa. I'm glad I bought a single and not the whole six pack considering the price. The only brown I really enjoy so far is the Rogue Hazelnut.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Discofish (152) - USA - SEP 18, 2003
It pours a nice creamy head, with a nose of caramel and fruit. The taste is a hint of fruit then caramel. Nice smooth finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DubbelO7 (42) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 17, 2003
Good stuff. I am intrigued that they claim this is a combination of 3 styles. I bought a "Tackle Box" sampler/variety case that Dogfish puts out and it's probably my favorite of all 4 in there. I love Scotch ales, IPA and APA's so this is a logical fit . The ABV is nice, don't have to drink a bunch to get your buzz on. Brown for sure in color with a gentle lacey head and tease of alcohol vapor in the bouquet . I'll buy more of this one i'm sure .

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
aracauna (3501) - Georgia, USA - SEP 9, 2003
I was surprised at the reserved nature of this beer. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent brown ale, but I was expecting something over the top from Dogfish Head. Actually, I guess a 7.2% brown ale is over the top, but you can't taste it. Alcohol is nowhere to be found in the aroma or flavor. The body is a nice clear rubied leather. The cream-colored head is thick and slow to subside. Nice texture. The aroma has a bit of chocolate and toffee, really malty with a slight hop bite underneath. The flavor is the same way, smooth creamy malts, a bit sweet, but the hops are present just enough to cut through the sweetness and leave this a very drinkable but still flavorful brown. The body is surprisingly thin given the alcohol content and huge maltiness of the flavor. Must be the brown sugar.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
DiamondD (38) - Sammamish, Washington, USA - SEP 6, 2003
Pours a very dark brown with a hint red woven in. Distinct coffee and caramel in the nose along with some subtle fruitness. Quite complex aroma. Medium body. This beer is more like a cross between an imperial stout, a brown and an american pale. Very long lasting coffee finish. Not really my style. If your a stout fan this one you'll probably like.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Yankovitch333 (612) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - SEP 1, 2003
Last week I drank this beer along with a 90 Minute IPA at the Dogfish Head brew pub down in Rehobeth Beach. I am not a big fan of brown ales but I really enjoyed this one. Or maybe I enjoyed it more because I was sitting at the bar in the Dogfish Head pub? I live about an hour and 20 minutes from the place and it was the first time I had been there. It's a great place. More like I had died and gone to heaven.