overall

RATINGS: 2114   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.51   IBU: 12   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Midas Touch Golden Elixir is a beverage based on the residue found on the drinking vessels in King Midas’ tomb. Our recipe highlights the known ingredients of barley, white Muscat grapes, honey and saffron. Somehwere between a beer, wine and mead, this smooth, dry ale will please with Chardonnay or I.P.A. drinker alike.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - DEC 30, 2004
12oz bottle, gotta be around 2 years old, I bought it over 1 year ago. As DragonStout said, "whats that smell" Indeed a strong, pungent smell, for an instant I thought it was light struck, but this is Muscat. Very sweet, drinks like a spiced mead or desert wine. Nearly zero head. A few ounces after dinner? This would be good. No way I’m gonna finish 12oz by myself on a sunny afternoon. Overall, sweet thick beers aren’t my thing. While this beer may have its place somewhere, it doesn’t in my house.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DragonStout (1408) - Pickerington, Ohio, USA - DEC 29, 2004
Whoa whats that smell.Smells like metal.pours a nice orangish hue.The taste is much better than the smell.Hints of apples and honey.Nice clean finish.another winner from dogfish Head

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
riordan93 (14) - USA - DEC 28, 2004
Very smooth. Intriguing taste with a definite taste of white grape and honey. Didn’t taste the saffron. I wouldn’t mind being buried with this stuff!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
johnyvt (158) - West Hollywood, California, USA - DEC 26, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 21, 2005 Tastes a lot like honey and alcohol...which makes it way too sweet and sugary for me. Not much barley taste, but some sweet grape in there. More like white wine than beer, actually. Seems more like a curiosity than anything you would want to drink again, or maybe even a whole bottle of.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Cletus (6355) - Connecticut, USA - DEC 16, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 20, 2005 When I first picked up a 4 pack of this beverage, I didn’t know quite what to think. After a few sips, I was convinced that if this beer was indeed drank by King Midas, that just maybe the legends about him were true. Strong taste of honey and grapes with just the right amount of carbonation. The slightest peppery aftertaste. Almost no head to speak of. Finishes with a hint of barley. Yet another gem from this brewery.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
motelpogo (7188) - Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC - DEC 12, 2004
bottled. i dunno, i always go for gimmicky beers especially from a reputable brewery. aroma of honey and white grapes and some peach. pretty much as i would imagine a beez neez doppelbock to taste - sweet and honeyed and with a lot of alcohol showing. some dustiness made me think of old mummy bandages

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
radiomgb (2481) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 19, 2004
Orange amber in colour. Aroma of honey, apples, grapes with some alcohol. Flavour was slightly sweet (honey), some alcohol, white grapes. Medium body, some carbonation. Finish is quite long and slightly sweet. Interesting beer but one tends to expect that from this brewery.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
BCAR (222) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - NOV 15, 2004
A for effort for Dogfish Head, but not for me. Higher carbonation than I anticipated after the description. Hits the middle of the tongue. Fairly strong alcohol presence, but a very short finish. the grapes I tasted, the saffron was not forward.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
chandernagor (39) - Oak Park, Illinois, USA - NOV 13, 2004
Hazy amber color, white head dissipating very quickly. Smells like champagne at first. Aroma is fruity (berries) and sweet (honey, marshmallow). Light carbonation and a watery to syrupy texture. Flavor is sweet honey, with a hint of grape and orange. Dry finish where alcohol finally shows its presence. It’s interesting, and worth trying for the weirdness of the mix, but I must admit I had a hard time finishing my glass.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jasonp (1556) - Ashburn, Virginia, USA - NOV 12, 2004
Pours a nice slightly hazy deep amber gold with a quickly fading white head. Honey-ish aroma. Taste has notes of various citrusy fruits, grapes, honey and malty sweetness. No bitterness that I could detect. Has a light alcohol tinge. There’s some other flavors in here that I just can’t put my finger on. weird. Like a mixture of beer with wine-like qualities. Mouthfeel is full and round with lively carbonation. Way too full and sweet to finish the entire bottle though. Interesting stuff, worth a try.