RATINGS: 2144   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5/5   IBU: 12   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Midas Touch Golden Elixir is a beverage based on the residue found on the drinking vessels in King Midas’ tomb. Our recipe highlights the known ingredients of barley, white Muscat grapes, honey and saffron. Somehwere between a beer, wine and mead, this smooth, dry ale will please with Chardonnay or I.P.A. drinker alike.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
bsawatzky (153) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 19, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 22, 2005 a golden color with very little head. aroma was not very strong but kinda sweet. the flavor hat a hint of yeast and fruit flavor including grape/wine. a little sweet even but with strong alcohol overtone. i didnt like this one all that much.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Mangino (1027) - Mississippi, USA - MAR 16, 2005
Pours a hazy golden honey color. Aroma is sweet and full of spices and fruits. Flavor is very sweet, lots of honey and sweet malts. Slightly less carbonation, and a smooth palate round this one out. Thanks to Brock Landers for this brew!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
zathrus13 (1740) - Mount Laurel, New Jersey, USA - MAR 12, 2005
Yrllow gold color. Aromas are grapes, wine, honey, and malt. Flavors sweet malt, grapes, wine, honey and it has a rather heavy body. Very unique.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
spikee (96) - Providence, Rhode Island, USA - MAR 7, 2005
Sweet, fruity raisin aroma. Pours a perfect, unassuming gold with a thin head and just the right amount of bubbles. Flavor explodes on the palate with raisins, grapes, honey, and spice. Silky smooth, very oily and light bodied with a punch of alcohol and barley late. Touch of salt and hops at the end. Overall very good, although I’d agree with my previous RateBeerian that it needs a bit of bitterness at the end to balace everything out. Overall, unique and quite good - would buy again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DarkElf (3050) - La Jolla, California, USA - MAR 3, 2005
(12 oz bottle: Obtained in trade with shadey, thanks Shane!) There’s a lot of interesting stuff going on in this beer. The beer starts off like a light barleywine, sweet and fruity, shows some maltiness like a doppelbock, and finally finishes like an Ethiopian honey wine. I definitely taste the muscat grapes, but while I like dessert wines made from muscat grapes, they are possibly my least favorite of the dessert wines. It’s all relative, of course! I get some tartness overall, as well as a gentle, lingering bitterness in the finish as well. The sweetness is a bit cloying after awhile, and the palate is a bit flat, but it has a very full and coating mouthfeel, so the overall palate resembles an inexpensive, one-dimensional dessert wine (i.e., lacking the balancing tartness). The nose is like a sweet, lightly malty barleywine, but with honey. Bright amber color, with a slightly hazy appearance. Pours with pretty much no head, with just a thin rim of tiny bubbles forming around the edge of the glass. This is certainly an interesting beer, quite enjoyable, but as much as I enjoy sweet alcoholic beverages like barleywines, dessert wines, ports and sweet sherries, I don’t think I could drink more than one bottle of this in an evening. The finish needs a bit of tartness to balance the cloying sweetness to be able to drink multiple bottles in one sitting. I think I’ll bring a bottle of this to my next wine tasting and see what my fellow wine enthusiasts think.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
MullMan (1099) - New York, USA - MAR 2, 2005
bright amber/copper color, cloudy with short creamy light tan head. aroma is honey, white grape. mouthfeel seems watery at first but becomes slick, viscous, syrupy. carbonation is low. some grain flavor up front, then dry vermouth, then sweet and dry finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
2philosophers (16) - Ridgewood, New York, USA - FEB 25, 2005
Pours hazy and gold. Very sweet and strong, but there’s so much going on in this beer- the primary taste was grapes, and then honey. It’s unusual and I wouldn’t want to drink a large amount-- one bottle was almost too much-- but I really enjoyed it. If this is what ancient beers were like, I would have been okay in ancient Egypt.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 25, 2005
Hats off to the masterminds at DFH for a one-of-a-kind beer. Hazy orange coloring with some tiny floating bubbles on the top. Smells of honey and alcohol with a twist of orange rind. Tastes of sour grapes, apricot and honey. Similar to some Irish mead that I’ve had. There’s nothing subtle about the alcohol - it’s very present in every way. Midas Touch wasn’t up my alley, but my wife liked it - and when she’s happy, I’m happy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
DogfishKing (22) - USA - FEB 21, 2005
wow, could i taste a little more alcohol. if i wanted to taste the alcohol in a 120 min I would have just bought one. pretty disapointed with this one. Not one of Dogfish’s better brews. JMHO

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
lamas (1492) - Washington DC, USA - FEB 19, 2005
Bottle. Pour hazy gold with thin off-white head. Aroma is strongly of alcohol, lemon/lime and green grapes. Smells like wine or champagne. Taste is STRONGLY of alcohol. There are some green grapes and lemon present in taste too. A bit of a dry, bitter vinegar finish. A unique beer but not one I’d really want again.