overall

RATINGS: 2106   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5   IBU: 12   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Midas Touch Golden Elixir is a beverage based on the residue found on the drinking vessels in King Midas’ tomb. Our recipe highlights the known ingredients of barley, white Muscat grapes, honey and saffron. Somehwere between a beer, wine and mead, this smooth, dry ale will please with Chardonnay or I.P.A. drinker alike.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
arhythmt (69) - USA - SEP 28, 2004
Somewhat disappointing as the muscat flavor seemed to dominate this beer. The comment about trying it once and not needing to buy it again says it all, I think. Worth a taste, I guess.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - SEP 25, 2004
Big honey, and BIG earthy barley graininess. Wow. Grapey, but more in a bittersweet way. Even tartish. Fascinating. Now I don’t need to buy it again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
IndianaRed (2726) - Boise, Idaho, USA - SEP 18, 2004
Bottle Pours a strange orange with very little head and no lacing to speak of. Aroma is an unusual apricot, safron I guess and honey. Flavor is a rich honey, malt and light roast grain. Quite tasty and different. The honey is quite dominant. The ABV is masked quite well. Feel is very smoth and rich, especialy as it warms up a bit. Very different and good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hab40oz (242) - Grants Pass, Oregon, USA - SEP 16, 2004
Honey predominat, zesty after taste, some light hops and rich malts. This reminds me of mead and a IPA cross bread.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beerinmarch (2830) - Washington, USA - SEP 16, 2004
This brew was very mead-like with tons of honey and spice and a slight fruitiness up front. I liked this a ton more than mead cause i provided a good carbonation and more maltiness than mead. Very sweet and smooth and the historic aspect was rad!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Cornfield (5570) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - SEP 13, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 5, 2005 I love those Dogfish Head folk. Besides brewing those marvelously, highly hopped IPAs, they’re willing to take chances. I’m not a fan of sweet brews, but I guess that I’m now a fan of beers based on ancient residue. I popped the bottle and poured. Nice golden color with a thick head that slowly dissipated, then coated the glass as I drank. A winey taste, probably ’cause of the grapes ’n’ honey. Not sure what the saffron did, except add color. (Usually, it only appears on southern styled rice in my home.) Syrupy. Malt comes through. Nice flavor. I’ll be picking up more later.

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Liquors, Oak Forest, IL<font size=-1>

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
jollyraider (252) - Los Angeles, California, USA - SEP 7, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 26, 2004 Aroma and taste is of the ingredients: the barley, grapes, and honey. A terrific combo, if you ask me. Alcohol stands out, and it’s not that complex, but I really enjoyed it, especially because I’m a history major and this kind of stuff pushes my buttons.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ElJefe (553) - Rochester, New York, USA - AUG 31, 2004
Hazy orange with a white head. Aroma is sweet, and you can definitely detect the grapes in the aroma. Fruity, bitter, and moderately strong alcohol presence. Not as complex as I expected, but that didn’t detract from the enjoyment. It reminds me a bit of a Barleywine, only lighter. Thumbs up!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
pineypower (2662) - Pine Barrens, New Jersey, USA - AUG 28, 2004
Interesting brew.....First off it pours out rather carbonated with a nice fruity aroma, almost like that of a port wine. It tasted much more like some lambics I’ve had rather than a "Traditional Ale". It had a grapy flavor with some notes of honey. Not a bad brew. Once again an interesting creation from Dogfish Head

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
TheDean (786) - MIlwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 18, 2004
Ok, I do lik the theor of this beer, that’s hy I am trying it (that and my buddy gave me an exra bottle he had). Doesn’t look or smell overly impressive, but taste simular to many belgiun ales. Worth a try to drink like a kng.