overall

RATINGS: 2129   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.51   IBU: 12   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Midas Touch Golden Elixir is a beverage based on the residue found on the drinking vessels in King Midas’ tomb. Our recipe highlights the known ingredients of barley, white Muscat grapes, honey and saffron. Somehwere between a beer, wine and mead, this smooth, dry ale will please with Chardonnay or I.P.A. drinker alike.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
motelpogo (7258) - Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC - DEC 12, 2004
bottled. i dunno, i always go for gimmicky beers especially from a reputable brewery. aroma of honey and white grapes and some peach. pretty much as i would imagine a beez neez doppelbock to taste - sweet and honeyed and with a lot of alcohol showing. some dustiness made me think of old mummy bandages

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
radiomgb (2522) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 19, 2004
Orange amber in colour. Aroma of honey, apples, grapes with some alcohol. Flavour was slightly sweet (honey), some alcohol, white grapes. Medium body, some carbonation. Finish is quite long and slightly sweet. Interesting beer but one tends to expect that from this brewery.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
BCAR (222) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - NOV 15, 2004
A for effort for Dogfish Head, but not for me. Higher carbonation than I anticipated after the description. Hits the middle of the tongue. Fairly strong alcohol presence, but a very short finish. the grapes I tasted, the saffron was not forward.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
chandernagor (39) - Oak Park, Illinois, USA - NOV 13, 2004
Hazy amber color, white head dissipating very quickly. Smells like champagne at first. Aroma is fruity (berries) and sweet (honey, marshmallow). Light carbonation and a watery to syrupy texture. Flavor is sweet honey, with a hint of grape and orange. Dry finish where alcohol finally shows its presence. It’s interesting, and worth trying for the weirdness of the mix, but I must admit I had a hard time finishing my glass.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jasonp (1557) - Ashburn, Virginia, USA - NOV 12, 2004
Pours a nice slightly hazy deep amber gold with a quickly fading white head. Honey-ish aroma. Taste has notes of various citrusy fruits, grapes, honey and malty sweetness. No bitterness that I could detect. Has a light alcohol tinge. There’s some other flavors in here that I just can’t put my finger on. weird. Like a mixture of beer with wine-like qualities. Mouthfeel is full and round with lively carbonation. Way too full and sweet to finish the entire bottle though. Interesting stuff, worth a try.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beerhugger (542) - Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 9, 2004
What a cool and unique beer. I couldn’t quite put my olfactory powers to a successful test though. I found the honey and grapes they speak of but there was much more that I had trouble pinpointing. Nice orange colour with basically no head, but some nice lacing. Malty sweet and a nice lingering finish - I haven’t had good meads to compare this traditional ale too but I think there are overlapping qualities that will send me that way now. Nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - NOV 9, 2004
Light cloudy brown color,small creamy white head that had a good hangtime then faded slowly to leave a good lace behind.Decent malty honey aroma .malty sweet taste upfront with a slight honey side coming through in the beginning and getting a bit stronger in the middle.The alcohol seems to be well hidden in this brew with just a slight hint towards the end.Over all it’s a pretty smooth brew with some different flavors,but just doesn’t quite do it for me.I’m more of a all mead or nothing kind of person,but this does have some nice qualities to it.Thanks go to Robertsreality for sending this brew my way.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SED43 (23) - Manhattan, New York, USA - NOV 5, 2004
Big honey barley grape nose, sorry missed the safron. Lovely red fizzy with off-white head quick to diminish into a micro bubbled lacey skirt. Sweet honey nectar initial that fads fast into a alcoholy finish. Like wine mouth and a little to whiny for me to be ale. THis $#!- will get you twiST’D!!!!!!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Hoss (607) - Florida, USA - NOV 3, 2004
This is a stunt beer with a lot of alcohol thrown in for good measure. I only got it for the historical thread behind this brew.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
JoeM500 (1908) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - OCT 31, 2004
Maybe my least favorite DFH product, except for that nasty 120minute. Sweet nose of grapes and sugar. Honey is obvious in the first sip, some kind of strange sweet, thick disaster. Vinous at first, turning to sappy sweetness. Couldn’t finish a 12oz bottle. Mish mash of strange flavors. uck!