overall

RATINGS: 1265   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Inspired by a tale of a cask doctor who brought sluggish ales back to life by suspending a fig in them. Brewed from 100% Maris Otter pale ale malt, a blend of fine hops and conditioned on dates and figs. User Instructions: open bottle, pour contents into two snifters. Enjoy. ALTERNATIVELY: Walk hand-in-neck with bottle into the middle of the woods. Use shovel to dig 2x2 hole three feet deep. Seal bottle in plastic bag. Place in hole and pack with dirt. Memorize location and leave. Return exactly one year later. Dig up bottle, open and enjoy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheRimmer (483) - Florida, USA - DEC 9, 2004
Potatoes and hops. thats the odor. maybe my nose is messed up. unique as hell. The taste was thick, syrupy. I got some maple syrup and hints of fruits (ok major fruit punch), mainly oranges. I’m not getting the flavors everyone else is. all i can say is that this is possibly the most balanced beer ive ever had. the ABV is hidden. I poured some out onto my carpet for my homie dimebag darrel who was killed tonight.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Dough77 (821) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - DEC 8, 2004
not really great.........yet anyways. I think in some time this will turn out to be a truly great barleywine. But as for now, its overwhelmed with alchol, and has few attributes of a barelywine. Taste was full of that 15% everybody’s raving abut, with a sweet syrupy taste to it. as well as a dark fruits (figs, raisins). Overall not a favorite, but like mentioned, it easily could turn into something special.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
meathookjones (245) - Sterling, Virginia, USA - DEC 2, 2004
With the greatness of DFH’s other huge beers I was excited to try this and picked up a few 12ozers. This poured a nice deep orange color with a huge frothy head that dropped quickly to a bubbly collar. There was decent lacing left in this as I drank it. HOLY SWEETNESS, the nose is strong with a fruity malt sweetness that almost completely dominates the smell. Even after warming the only other smell I could detect was the slightest hint of alcohol. Taste is much the same as the smell, extremely sweet with fruity malts a little too much so even. Slight earthy hop notes can be found as well, but the 15% sure stays hidden in this one. A nice slightly bitter finish is present to try and tame the sweetness. Olde School has a very full and rich mouthfeel that coats your mouth with sweetness. Insane drinkability for a 15% but the sweetness was starting to be a little much for me by the end of the glass. Overall an excellent barley wine from DFH, I will see what happens with the other bottles in a year or so.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Megan (101) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - DEC 1, 2004
Smooth aroma, golden-red, cloudy appearance. Syrupy taste, strong flavors. It’s a lot to take in at first. Fizzy but sweet finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
PWalk (337) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 1, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 17, 2005 Bottle: Grey Lodge Pub.: Great aroma with hints of the flavor to come. Sweet on the palate with raison and malts included in the many nuances one gets when drinking this brew. Finishes smooth and much to quickly. :) One of my new favorites.

Radek Kliber (6397) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - NOV 29, 2004
Full, rich, big, liquorish aroma, vanilla, raisin, sweet, woody malt. Amber, medium carbonated, extremely fine crown. Very refined, classy. Flavours/Plate: Warm, rich malts m less alcoholic than you might expect. Very rich, powerful. Extremely smooth, refined brew. Very nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Hoss (607) - Florida, USA - NOV 29, 2004
Do you like complexity then this is a brew for you. Not a Barley Wine fan but this one could make you one. For 15.5% it did not scream alcohol at you but you knew it was there.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
humulus (339) - Salem, Missouri, USA - NOV 28, 2004
Seet hoppy aroma with butterscotch and alcohol notes. Appears caramel with light, white head and a cloudy, floaty opaqueness. Flavor of caro syrup with butterscotch and the sauce one drizzles over flan. A lime/tequila encounter (margaritta?). Very nice. Very delicious. Warms all the way down.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - NOV 27, 2004
NEW To Florida! –And I Love IT!

Rating #625
Vintage: 2004

I bought a bottle of this beer last summer when I was up in NYC, but still haven’t opened that one! We just got the new 2004 batch here in town…. and Holy Mother, It’s Phenomenal! I’ve been thinking about this beer since Wednesday when I shared a bottle with the dude that runs my local Home Brew Supply shop. What an amazing brew this turned out to be!
The body poured a glowing coppery bronze, and there was an amazingly resilient ivory head and lacing throughout the entire session. I was rather Surprised to find that the high ABV did not burn off the head. Though the aroma and flavor are what I found to be most sensational! This beer held a depth of vast complexities! Fruity submissions of peach, plum, and cantaloupe are most abundant in the forefront; and on a darker more robust side, one cannot miss the light smoky sweetness of dates and molasses. Then to add to the sweet and fruity malty depth… there is a marvelous addition and blending of citric hops in the finish! As the wonderful beer rolls over my palate and down my throat, I grab the flavors of grapefruit, nectarine, and a hint of pine! But MOST Amazingly, there is such a little mention of the 15+% abv???? This beer is simply fantastic!
I have truly found a new favorite beer for my cellar, and I can’t wait to do a side-by-side with my 2003 & 2004 bottles! GEEZ, and I only paid something like $12.50 for a 4 pack of this blissful elixir! OLD SCHOOL is now a full on Winner in my ratings!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
tiggmtl (4548) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - NOV 23, 2004
Sniff... sniff... excuse me while I make love with this beer! It just smells that good! Hazy, orange-straw coloured with a lasting cover of white head. Sweet, full, orange-pine hop flavours balance beautifully with the huge sweet malts. Low carbonation but very full bodied. This beer is wonderfully proportioned in all respects. Bottle enjoyed with DYCSoccer17, MartinT, muzzlehatch, Omhper and Rastacouere.