overall

RATINGS: 1262   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Inspired by a tale of a cask doctor who brought sluggish ales back to life by suspending a fig in them. Brewed from 100% Maris Otter pale ale malt, a blend of fine hops and conditioned on dates and figs. User Instructions: open bottle, pour contents into two snifters. Enjoy. ALTERNATIVELY: Walk hand-in-neck with bottle into the middle of the woods. Use shovel to dig 2x2 hole three feet deep. Seal bottle in plastic bag. Place in hole and pack with dirt. Memorize location and leave. Return exactly one year later. Dig up bottle, open and enjoy.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
wnewberr (100) - Huntersville, North Carolina, USA - JUL 24, 2012
One of my fav’s in the style! Strong malt and alcohol aroma, the taste matches. Clarity could be improved upon is the only complaint.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
TopherDrinks (96) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - NOV 22, 2007
Pours brownish-orange with a small but tight head. Head dissipates within a minute leaving an off white tint on the top of the liquid. Strong smell of hops with undertones of alcohol, malts, and orange. Taste is of hoppy harsh alcohol! Second taste is hoppy citrus mixed with sweet malts, sugar, and apricot. Alcohol comes through strong but does a great job warming the body (just as I see fit for Barley Wines). New aromas of apricot and dates begin to come through as my glass diminishes. Smooth mouth feel once you get past the abv. Could have been better if they didn’t make it such a big beer. But then it just wouldn’t be a true DFH after all!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
45thstbrewer (94) - Conowingo, Maryland, USA - FEB 16, 2008
Dogfish Head Olde School Barleywine is definitely a unique brew. Its good but has a strong aroma and taste of alcohol. But for me I like the 15%. Haven’t had a barleywine that strong before.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dwmiller16 (93) - Delaware, USA - DEC 23, 2012
Strong. Overwhelmingly strong. Beer aged for 1 year+ , hasn't mellowed out. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Hopgeek (90) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 27, 2005
Pours a light copper to golden, rather light for a barley wine. Creates thousands of bubbles that cling to the sides of my snifter as I give it a swirl. Looks quite thick. Smells of sweet, sweet apricots. Flavor is also sweet and the alcohol is very present here. There are some citrus notes and apricot is found again. This is thick and sticky, leaves a coat on the palate as it goes down, pleasantly warming. Wow, this beer is freaking huge, I can drink one and its enjoyable... but thats about as far as I’d go.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
kapusta (87) - Dover, Delaware, USA - NOV 22, 2007
Powerful and pungent. Nice sweet-hoppy fresh aroma. Brownish red color with just a thin head. Strong and sweet with a pine/citrus flavor. Very busy beer. I sampled this the first time nearly a year ago, and I thouight it would mellow with age. Just tried again and it tasted the same. Still very good, but there is alot going on here. Should have waited longer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ZR2Blazer (87) - Christiansburg, Virginia, USA - NOV 21, 2010
Pour - 1 finger head, dissipates quickly Aroma - Very strong nose, reminds me of strong wood glue or epoxy resin up front. Deep down I pick up berries and the fig. Taste - This one I can barely handle. This is ridiculously strong. Thick mouthfeel, thick and sugary, almost no hop finish. Finish doesn’t linger like i would expect. Would like to see what happened with age. I usually agree with the majority of the ratings, but not on this one. I almost feel like I got a bad bottle, this is barely enjoyable, not balanced at all - this is extreme.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beeratarian (86) - cleveland, Ohio, USA - JAN 31, 2010
Pours a syrupy orangish brown with thin cream colored head, Aroma of sweet honey and dried fruit with slight pine in backround, Taste is sweet, syrup, not enough hops to round out the sweetness, I would think about five years and this will be awesome for an after dinner port substitute.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
rollingwood (86) - Maryland, USA - DEC 23, 2013
Damned near perfect beer IMHO. Complex quicksilver mouth feel, boozy and warming, with a balanced hop/malt profile. I wish I had the patience to age this, but we never can keep our hands off of it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
dnlsartin (80) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JAN 19, 2009
UPDATED: FEB 24, 2009 Brilliant, cloudy, orange appearance. Medium body. Aroma of apricots, molasses, and window cleaner. Tastes of citrus, apple, raisin, oak, and whiskey. Finish is a bit sharp, “green” maybe. Would’ve probably been smoother with some age.