overall

RATINGS: 1313   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Inspired by a tale of a cask doctor who brought sluggish ales back to life by suspending a fig in them. Brewed from 100% Maris Otter pale ale malt, a blend of fine hops and conditioned on dates and figs. User Instructions: open bottle, pour contents into two snifters. Enjoy. ALTERNATIVELY: Walk hand-in-neck with bottle into the middle of the woods. Use shovel to dig 2x2 hole three feet deep. Seal bottle in plastic bag. Place in hole and pack with dirt. Memorize location and leave. Return exactly one year later. Dig up bottle, open and enjoy.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
CAmes (32) - Snohomish, Washington, USA - JAN 26, 2006
I didnít expect to be bored by a $4, 15% bottle of beer. The color is very light and unclouded. Little aroma. Not bad, but I donít think Iíll buy again.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
JFowler (30) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - JUN 26, 2006
This is the best barleywine I have sampled to date. I tend not to rate these beers as high as other types that Iím impartial to but I must say this one is very smooth. It is a meal in it self with very complex fruit and hop finish. Most beers this strong have an overbearing alcohol flavor. This one does not have that. Go see Matt at dogfish in rehoboth beach DE. Tell him your old school.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
davisnmn (30) - Connecticut, USA - DEC 28, 2009
I poured the glass full and let it breath for a few minutes and warm up slightly. I put the glass slowly to my lips took a drink, pulled back and said damn. This beer is truly a barley wine. Itís all there. Sip this beer slow and enjoy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
LawBadger (24) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JAN 27, 2009
12 oz bottle: Color is a rich amber with a thin head that quickly goes down. A very nice aroma that smells of dark fruit, molasses, and alcohol. With this being a higher abv offering, it has a surprisingly smooth finish (i.e. no alcohol "burn"). A complex taste consisting of a slight sweetness (brown sugar and/or caramel), darker fruits, and a little citrus. Iím a big fan of Dogfish Headís line-up and this one definitely does not disappoint.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beertime (23) - Minnesota, USA - MAR 9, 2006
12oz bottle- Poured golden orange in color with fizzy white head. Has aroma of apples and grapefruit. Not as much body as expected. Not like other barley wines I have tasted due to its sparkling carbonation. The 15% alcohol is hidden well but becomes more prevelant the more you drink. Decent barley wine that may get better with age. I hope so at $18 a 4-pack.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bensbrews (22) - North Carolina, USA - JAN 30, 2011
This beer brings a whole new something to the table. It is labeled a barleywine but it taste nothing like a traditional barleywine. There is some funk or sour flavor which I take comes from the yeast. If you had 120 it taste eerily similar. If you want a barleywine donít drink this but if you want a unique beer with some awesome flavor grab it! I donít think their objective was a barleywine but a literal translation of that barley and wine. Imagine a dessert wine with a hop and barley kick.

1.4
   AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
dwissm1 (22) - Maryland, USA - MAR 23, 2011
This beer tasted like Simple Syrup. WOW it was sweet and was offensive. Itís not very often that I pour a beer out, but I poured this one out. Sorry guys, but it was just WAY WAY WAY too sweet. Dogfishhead is great, but this one was pretty rough. If you like sweet beer, this one if for you!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
SuperWhite92 (22) - , Colorado, USA - JAN 12, 2009
Looks good, a nice barleywine color. Maybe a bit lighter than Iíd like, but plenty red to make up for it. Smells slightly boozy, leathery, and a bit sweet.Tastes of dark fruits, some cherry, a bit of leather, some alcohol (although not as much as I suspected).Mouthfeel is good- a bit thin. Slightly acidic (maybe the alcohol?) and a perfect amount of carbonation.I would drink this beer all night. Well, until I passed out. But it is a bit of a sipper. Overall, Iím very pleased. Iím going to buy a bunch of this and hide it form myself to see how it does with a bit of time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
schwabtana (21) - Madison Heights, Michigan, USA - MAR 5, 2015
1/2 pint draught from Ale Mary's. Dangerous barley wine @ 15% abv. Sweet, Smooth, and addictive! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
bmurray (20) - Hatfield, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 1, 2007
I had Old Guardian by Stone followed by this. For a $7 12oz bottle I expected an amazing bouquet of thick flavors, making the 15% taste like nothing. I expected a wonderfully thick, sweet treat on my tastebuds. Oh boy was I wrong. This tastes like pure alcohol. The body is of a Dogfish Head: very good. But it tastes like crap. Seriously. Maybe I havnít acquired a taste for this type of barelywine, but I could barely get it down. I understand making a 15% beer palatable isnít an easy task, but it tastes like they didnít even try. If you want a barelywine that is actually drinkable, I suggest Old Horizontal by Victory or Old Guardian by Stone.