overall

RATINGS: 1266   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Inspired by a tale of a cask doctor who brought sluggish ales back to life by suspending a fig in them. Brewed from 100% Maris Otter pale ale malt, a blend of fine hops and conditioned on dates and figs. User Instructions: open bottle, pour contents into two snifters. Enjoy. ALTERNATIVELY: Walk hand-in-neck with bottle into the middle of the woods. Use shovel to dig 2x2 hole three feet deep. Seal bottle in plastic bag. Place in hole and pack with dirt. Memorize location and leave. Return exactly one year later. Dig up bottle, open and enjoy.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
Hartung32 (215) - Indiana, USA - FEB 3, 2014
I haven't had many Barley Wines, but I have had better. Too sweet for me; would like to see it with some age on it. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
PhillyBeer2112 (2524) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - JUN 9, 2003
I'm saddened to be disappointed by this one. 60-70 deg F in snifter. Copper color, fading head. Modest (?!) aroma of cigarette smoke, gunpowder, iron oxide, maybe urine. Intense malt presence, a tightly focused sweetish flavor, with a tingle around the tongue and alcohol peppering in the finish, lingering burn. Interestingly composed but full of flavors I'm not real fond of (more gunpowder, chalk, and soil).

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TChrome (1418) - Bedford, Texas, USA - MAY 12, 2004
Beer pours lightly cloudy orange color with a big off white head that mostly dissipates. Aroma is highly alcoholic to the point I had trouble picking up other aromas. Flavor is better. Strong fruit flavors, some maltiness, but again a bit too much alcohol burn. Alcohol just is not hidden well enough for my taste. Will try again in a year or so.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 1, 2004
Poured a hazy glden hue with a small white ehad. Aromas of sweetness and slight alcohol. Flavors were very sweet with a thick mouthfeel and the sweetness seemed to linger. Not much depth to this brew as I have grown to expected more from DFH brews.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
P-tor44 (886) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - JAN 3, 2005
zach says its ugly and I agree. honey, syrupy nose, a bit of muscat grape flavor, butterscotch, late alc and whiskey, very warming and likely far too young.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Pailhead (4783) - Brownstown, Michigan, USA - JAN 14, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 16, 2005 Bottle: Aroma is rather sweet caramel and citrus and a light hop smell too. Pours a transparent copper with a decent white head but not a lot of retention. Sweet caramel up front with some citrus and a decent hop finish. Alcohol flavor in the finish increases as you drink. Kind of like a IIPA alcohol finish. This is different and doesn’t really make me think of a barley wine. I’d prefer to stick with their 60,90, or 120. A little let down with this one.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
mike mcneil (660) - St Augustine, Florida, USA - JAN 30, 2005
Being a fan of "big sippin’ beers" I figured this 15% Barley Wine was a deal at $3.49. After all WWS and 120 Minute command a $7+ price tag. However, on my first sip I realized why. Even at 15% this brew just really doesn’t have the muscle and complexity of the aforementioned two. Pours with a orange-gold color. Maintains a thin white head. The alcohol tends to really dominate the aroma and flavor with some ripe peach, apricot and white grape in the background. Would greatly benefit from some crystal malts added to the grist since the malt profile is a bit tame here. Don’t perceive the dark fruits (dates,figs) as the product description espouses. Finish shows some moderate flavorful hop profile, but is also a bit solvent in nature. Overall mouthfeel and palate is a bit on the thin side. Kinda disappointed with this one from DogfishHead.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
redlight (2316) - Orlando, Florida, USA - AUG 10, 2005
Love the label and instructions for burying it. Smells very malty! Could be a little better balanced with a bit more hops, but i am a hophead. A good barley wine.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
ElPresidente1984 (173) - Maine, USA - JAN 8, 2006
pours a syrupy copper color. smells quite sour, like rotten fruit juice. taste is similar, like fruity and some citrus, sour. again tastes similar to old juice. not my cup of tea. i think im starting to realize i dont like these high % beers. they seems to be to sweeet and syrupy and not enought like a real beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
Phatz (225) - Paradise, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 3, 2006
I was surprisingly very disappointed with this beer. It maybe that I am at fault for not knowing what I was getting into. My favorite beer is Victory’s Old Horizontal. An American Barley Wine. I also enjoyed Weyerbacher’s Insanity. An American Barley Wine. This ’Olde School Barleywine’ is supposedly an American Barley Wine. After looking it up I suppose it does meet the criteria BUT it is NOT what I was expecting! If you are a bitter beer fan, or you like that extremely floral yellow flower taste of sour lilies and tart dandelions then you can disregard my negative comments, you will enjoy this. I however, was expecting and easy drinking smooth beer like Old Horizontal and this is NOT that. Appearance: Pours out the color of apple juice. 1-2 finger white head fades fast. Good lacing lasts throughout the beer. Transparent and thin looking, like champagne. Lots of carbonation. Smell: The smell is soapy. Orange. Alcohol. Taste: Bite! Bite! Bite! SOUR, and BITTER (for what I’d expect). This is not a double IPA, where you want super hops on steroids (that has its place), this is not it (for me). Alpha Attack ;) is meant for that. I did not find this an enjoyable Barley Wine. If you can get through the bitter beer facing long enough to hold it in your mouth for a minute; once all the bitey, prickly, bitter taste has dissipated down your throat, there is infact a momentary pleasant taste of sweet caramel. SMACK! Then the bitter is back. Mouthfeel: The texture of the beer is nice; if only it didn’t bite like vinegar, it would be pleasing in the mouth. It is rather creamy and full of carbonation. Drinkability: This almost got a 3 for drinkability because as long as you cover the bitter, hoppy, rabbit food tastes, the texture and the subtly underlying sweets can be refreshing. With PLEANTY of cheese I can almost quench a thirst and come close to enjoying it. Still, I think I’d rather go with a Victory’s Old Horizontal, or a Weyerbacher’s Insanity, which I can actually enjoy without needing to hide the taste. They are much more pleasant options, if your like me. --- EDIT--- As my palate for hops is maturing I came back to say this is not as unbearable as I first thought it was just surprising to me at the time. --- EDIT (again)--- Now 7-8 months in the cellar it is unclear how much of the change in this beer is my palate and how much is the maturing or the beer. The beer is still very shard and boozy with sugar, caramel and alcohol upfront. The pine seems to have faded substantially and now it is really only distracting in the somewhat sour grassy aftertaste. It seems to be lacking the big grapefruit hop I have grown to like and instead the grassy character comes through as a dandelion stem flavor. But it is much more muted than when I had this beer 8 months ago. Everything up to the aftertaste is very nice with sweet caramel sugars and bit of alcohol bite, yet it maintains a chewy syrupy oily slick, texture. I definitely prefer this one wit some age on it. --- Hope this is helpful. Cheers!