overall

RATINGS: 1286   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Inspired by a tale of a cask doctor who brought sluggish ales back to life by suspending a fig in them. Brewed from 100% Maris Otter pale ale malt, a blend of fine hops and conditioned on dates and figs. User Instructions: open bottle, pour contents into two snifters. Enjoy. ALTERNATIVELY: Walk hand-in-neck with bottle into the middle of the woods. Use shovel to dig 2x2 hole three feet deep. Seal bottle in plastic bag. Place in hole and pack with dirt. Memorize location and leave. Return exactly one year later. Dig up bottle, open and enjoy.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
joeneugs (3471) - Livermore, California, USA - MAR 9, 2009
This was another weird one for me. It pours an opaque orange brown color with almost no head. It reminds me of apple cider. The aroma is of orange, banana, fig, and alcohol. It tastes like a cocktail. Orange, banana, apple, dried apricots stand out with notes of fig as well. Very strong alcohol reminds me of brandy or rum. Super honey sweet. With the sweetness and high alcohol content, make sure you can share the bottle with at least one other person. After about four ounces, it began to taste pretty gross. Interesting beer though.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Rib Eye (147) - USA - DEC 11, 2002
Cloudy amber and fizzy with a quickly disappating head/ w slight lacing of the glass. Flavor is elusive but only suggestive of a traditional barley wine. There is malt. There is hops. But this tastes a bit flat and uninspired. Perhaps the suggestion on the bottle to bury it and dig it up a year later would help. It could be it just needs some aging. Fresh it is definitely boring for a barley wine and definitley not worthy of Dogfish Head. Disappointing overall.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
fly (1419) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - AUG 4, 2003
I think at this very moment that the only way to rate is after 1 A.M. and having gone through four or more beers. And I will look a gift ghorse in the mouth once more. All so suspect in the state of Texas. Fruity, baby and lord knows I should have been able to pluck that date or fig, but I couldn't to save my life. I keep seeing the STYLE in barleywine style staring at me. At a freaking 15 percent I guess I should be singing but mostly I wenjoyed the conversation more than the beer, thankyouverymuch. Oh so sweet to me and fruity and cloying if I can say cloying again. I did want to like it and have it be my friend. Cool bottle with an artsy label that the likes of me feels comfortable with. Come over here and let me taste. Hmmm, I guess the fact that it is as big as it is you could almost say the alcohol is somewhat hidden. Sorry, pal(s) I want more with my more.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
11026 (1772) - Alabama, USA - DEC 23, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 3, 2009 Bottle from Matta. Medium amber colored beer. Thin white head forms slowly and fades to a small film. Some lacing. Aroma is sweet, fruit and gum. Thick mouthfeel, coating the tongue and palate. Sweet for sure but hops are also present. Alcohol warms the belly. A very good Barleywine but not overwhelming. Rerated Jan 09. Bottled 2007. Still has that gum-like aroma, not unpleasant. Medium bodied. Harsh and a bit boozy. The fig/date thing isn notworking for me at this time. Not a BW that I would choose to buy again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
DrnkMcDermott (2835) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - MAR 7, 2005
Sampled from bottle. Gunky. Pours light in color with lots of "stuff" in suspension. English hops at the front, and very sweet malts. We missed the fruit conditioning entirely. Alcohol content is high, but not too harsh or warming. We get the feeling we could do flaming beer shots with it. Too many unfermented sugars. But I’ve got three more bottles, so I’ll try again later.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
presario (4705) - Stampede City, Alberta, CANADA - JAN 5, 2006
Amber with no head. Aroma of alcohol, hops and fruit which seemed more apricot than dates or figs. I found the alcohol overpowering and too dominant. Like a fruit based diesel fuel. Thin with lots of fruit and alcohol flavours. Thanks to Poperinge for sharing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
kmweaver (3207) - Petaluma, California, USA - MAY 11, 2007
12oz bottle, most recent bottling. Pours a clear, orangish-amber color; off-white head, good lacing (per usual with DFH). Buckets of alcohol and sugars in the aroma, but not much else; maybe some dried fruits, but wow there’s a lot of alcohol here. Kind of reminds me of their spirit selections (most of which have been harsh): sharp alcohol presence, some candy sugar and bubble gum, but really not much more here than straight alcohol; almost like alcoholic glue. Very disappointing, and hardly begins to justify its 15% alcohol. Wtf? Medium, sugary alcohol finish. Not to be repeated. Most disappointing DFH beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
kenb (1102) - Oregon, USA - MAR 30, 2008
12 oz bottle via Mys Swap 3.0 (thanks to whoever sent this!). Is a ahzy copper in color with a small beige head. Nose is dirty socks and is phenolic. Tastes like a typical high abv barleywine and has a boozy woodsy finish. Not as sweet as you would expect from DFH. Body is medium/full, carbonation is just right. An average barleywine..i was expecting much more from these guys as they rarely disappoint..but this one is nowhere near their usual standard.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
zappafan99 (463) - ASCENSION ISLAND - AUG 30, 2008
Taste 8/30 Bottle (?date) Looks: Copper body, no head. Aroma: Malt, must, leather, dark fruit, biscuit. Taste: Medium to thick body, alcohol(too much really), must, some fruit. Ehhh

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
lb4lb (2555) - Austin, Texas, USA - JAN 3, 2009
Pours a hazy amber color with a short lived offwhite head. Smell is sweet, syrupy and rich and fruity. Taste is much milder than expected with slight bland fruitiness, light syrupyness and a bunch of alcohol. Warming but no burn. Rather mundane and unappealing but drinkable I suppose. Mostly garbage, however. I wont try to choke another down ever.