overall

RATINGS: 1287   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Inspired by a tale of a cask doctor who brought sluggish ales back to life by suspending a fig in them. Brewed from 100% Maris Otter pale ale malt, a blend of fine hops and conditioned on dates and figs. User Instructions: open bottle, pour contents into two snifters. Enjoy. ALTERNATIVELY: Walk hand-in-neck with bottle into the middle of the woods. Use shovel to dig 2x2 hole three feet deep. Seal bottle in plastic bag. Place in hole and pack with dirt. Memorize location and leave. Return exactly one year later. Dig up bottle, open and enjoy.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Elwood (3336) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - APR 26, 2010
Serving: Draft. It pours a clear amber color with virtually no head. The nose is rather powerful with notes of figs, alcohol, muted hop notes, and honey. The taste is overly hot and sweet. Lots of booze in this one. I agree with the rater that noted it was similar to a brandy, and a cheap one that. The palate is rich leading to a lengthy, cloyingly sweet finish. A bunch of sweetness and booze a good beer does not make.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
roder60 (1285) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 16, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 14, 2005 Figured Iíd try it since it was only $4 and is equivelent to drinking three beers... Poured a thick looking golden yellow clear color with very very very minimal head that dissapears before you get back to your table. Kinda resembles a glass of honey. Aroma is very sweet and syrupy with some fruit notes and even a little hops. Taste is very weird sweet fruit with some definite alcohol flavor. It does mask the 15% rather well, but you can still tell its there. Overall, I thought it was just too much for me. I would have enjoyed a slightly milder, less sweet version, but I am still glad I tried it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Ratman197 (10208) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - JAN 31, 2005
What a disapointment! This has nothing I expect in a barleywine except big alcohol. Pale gold color, subdude nose, and very light flavor. One of the worst Dogfish beers ive had. Come on Sam you can do better than this.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
SpudClampDawg (1029) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - DEC 30, 2006
2005 Bottle: Pours a tawny amber with loads of miniscule bubbles exploding from the bottom of my Duvel tulip. The nice frothy head quickly settles into a everlasting ring around the glass. I was really expecting nothing but ether and hops in the nose, but was surprised to find neither. The subdued aroma is slightly oxidized, with smallish notes of prune juice, caramel and peach. Rather borish for such a big beer and the body doesnít compensate for the lackluster nose either. The body lacks carbonation, creating a sluggish, sweet drink that is heavy on the caramel malts and not much more. Maybe some sugary plums as well. This is almost wort-like in sweetness, yet not viscous. What a weird experience as it finishes sweet with no hint of the high ABV. Either my bottle isnít up to snuff, or this beer automatically gets higher marks for being DFH and 15% ABV.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Funknmilla (693) - Wayne, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 29, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 5, 2007 2006 bottle enjoyed in 2007...appears to be an amber color...tiny bubbles gather on the surface, a very pretty beer..:)...honey and alcohol aromas...syrupy body with high alcohol flavor and a dry finish..!!!!-pure alcohol-!!!!...I love this brewery, but sadly I donít enjoy this product...perhaps itís the style of beer, I will investigate this further

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
LinusStick (2887) - Moon Twp, suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 26, 2007
Yet another too big Dogfish Head barley wine. I really donít understand how people enjoy this style. Aroma and taste were identical. Vicks Vapo-Rub, heavy oily malt and a strong burning aftertaste. Pour was a cloudy brown with no head. Very little carbonation. I know itís 15% but it tastes like 20%. As I keep saying I guess I am drinking BWs too fresh and maybe need to age them.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Rciesla (5499) - Exit 15W, New Jersey, USA - JUN 20, 2008
Bottle. I didnít enjoy this beer much at all. This bw is to intensely hoppy. I like more of an english style BW but the hop profile is to big for my liking. eh.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
PierreCelis (14) - USA - FEB 3, 2005
A little pale colored for a barley wine. Nose reminded me of Robitussin. First taste sweet and cloying - much alcohol. Bitter cough syrup finish. Tasted in a session with Old Crustacean and Old Numbskull: both good. Olde School was an amateur attempt. Not pleasant.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
JCB (3999) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAY 8, 2007
UPDATED: APR 11, 2011 Iím not a Dogfish hater by any stretch, but this is just ridiculous. We all know that certain styles age better than others, blah blah blah. But the damn brew ought to be drinkable in its youth and simply have a different character than its aged version. While I certainly plan to age a few bottles of this (paid for the fo-pack, after all), this tastes quite bad as is. It looks okay, smells decent, but tastes like astringent of some sort. I can faintly discern some of the additional ingredients - a whiff of fruit, a woody note here and there - but itís just a cloying mess, with all trace of craft and subtlety obliterated by the fire. Maybe Iíll take the breweryís advice and stuff it in some dirt for a while.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
madvike (2905) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 26, 2009
UPDATED: MAR 28, 2009 Bottle - Pours a beautiful reddish-amber with a thin, bubbly head thatís gone within 30 seconds. Tiny bubbles float towards the top of beer in a continuous flow like cola or champagne. The aroma is decent, with hops, sweet malt, cherries, biscuits, and a little alcohol. But then I taste it. The best way to describe the taste is it begins with a blast of alcohol, follows up with more alcohol, and finishes with a burning, alcoholey taste. I took a peek at the label and made sure it was only 15% and not 80 proof. Holy crap does this taste like vodka-flavored malt water. The only thing I can say is if this mellows out in a year or two and the burn goes away, it should probably taste pretty good. At least I hope it does, otherwise I wasted 14 bucks on a four pack of this shite. UPDATED: March 28, 2009: I have to change flavor from 3 to a 1. Thinking about this more, I canít imagine a beer tasting worse. I hope this was just a bad bottle.