Dogfish Head Pale India Ale

(RETIRED)
Dogfish Head Pale India Ale
     click to upload

Serve in Stem glass, Tulip

RATINGS: 7   MEAN: 3.5/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.12   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bryan Selders (Dogfish Lead Brewer) and Sam Calagione (Dogfish founder) brewed this beer with funky Indian spices donated by our pal Pete and his friends. Pete is the man responsible for Pete’s Wicked Ale and turning so many folks on to craft beer back in the day. The Pale India Ale is designed to be 6% abv bier de garde brewed with Fenugreek, Big Elachi, Green Elachi, Kalonji Onion, Garam Masala, and Tamarind Paste. What??!?!!?! A little more on the spices... the Kalonji Onion is actually the seed of the nigella sativa plant and is in no way related to any type of onion. The seeds are widely used as a spice across India thru the middle east. Each culture which uses it has a name for it which translate into a variety of English names; all of which are usually misleading as to the actual source of the seed. Hindis call it the black onion seed which is why our bag read "Kalonji onion" as that bag came from a Hindi market. Also, elachi is cardamom of which we used the black and green varieties (in case anybody asks). Malt-wise, Bryan & Sam used Belgian Pils, Belgian Biscuit Malt and Belgian Special B. Hops were Warrior and Willamette. Belgian Dark Candy syrup provide about 12% of the fermentable extract. Why? Because when the weather warms up folks start craving a beer with made with ’onions’. This beer is expected to go on tap at Dogfish Head Brewings & Eats May 22, 2009. Due to the limited availability of Pale India Ale, no growlers will be available.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
RMBartlett (1) - - SEP 4, 2014 does not count
A novice taster - Bottle drank. Eccentric smell, with an elegant touch to the tongue, compared to others in its lane of flavors. One of my fav IPA's to sip back and Enjoy. Thanks DFHBC!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Rotbart (155) - - MAR 18, 2012
Straw yellow in color with a full foamy head, it had a medium bitter taste. Negligible spice aroma with a rather light spice finish. Modest beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
gary07734 (500) - Tyne & Wear, ENGLAND - JUN 13, 2010
Pours blonde, spicy and mild hops in the aroma. Taste is less spicy but quite broad and flavourfull, pleasant bitter finish. Good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
CockeyeBBQ (12) - Warren, USA - FEB 26, 2010
Ok, I read all the mumbo-jumbo BS from ratebeer.com, and I’ve even included it below for your review. But I can tell you, that last thing I thought of when I tasted this beer was...hmm, that is surely the taste of an imported seed of an Indian onion. F&ck that. I started this beer drinking journey to find a brewery I could connect with. Maybe someone thinking the same way I think. Putting fenugreek in your beer because you read about the seed in the latest edition of Bon Apetit, is complete baloney! I did a quick google on it and found out that studies show that the seed actually helps increase milk flow if you’re breastfeeding. Now I don’t know about you, but my man boobs are quite as productive as I’d like them to be, and I don’t wanna introduce anything into my diet to increase them. Blah.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - JUL 2, 2009
Whoa, very spicy. The fenugreek is a real standout. Makes it smell like an Indian Curry. Other than the odd, though enjoyable. spicing, this one drinks like a really nice summer session beer. Crisp mouthfeel with lots of effervescent bubbles makes it a real lip smacker. Draft at the pub in Rehoboth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
GMCC2181 (1504) - Newark, Delaware, USA - JUN 6, 2009
Draft at Rehoboth. Poured into a pint glass, small head. Nice aroma of spices and maybe some juniper berries? Kind of a funky aroma that I couldnt quite put my finger on. Taste is funky as well. Light spices, a little roasted malt with a slight tartess towards the end. Above medium carbonation level, but light and easy to drink. I enjoyed it and would get another...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beachbum25 (1085) - Powellville, Maryland, USA - MAY 30, 2009
On tap-Rehoboth BrewPub-Cloudy amber color w/a slight tan head. Heavily spiced aroma. Spices hit you right away, really gave this a distinct flavor which made it quite enjoyable; like a Hefe on steroids! Can’t tell you how it relates to all those Indian spices as I’m not familiar w/them, but the flavors it most reminded me of were pepper & Old Bay! Had a sweet, malty backbone to it which gave this a full mouthfeel & a long finish. Definite sesson brew, would be great w/some steamed crabs. Quite enjoyable!