overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 2108   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
Big Brown Ale aged on palo santo wood from Paraguay. This beer is a 12% abv, highly roasty, and malty brown ale aged on the wood of the Palo Santo tree from Paraguay. Palo Santo means "holy tree" and it's wood has been used in South American wine-making communities. We were lucky enough to get our hands on 20 blocks of the super-dense wood and the wood was added to the ageing tank after fermentation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
kriggins (6) - , Florida, USA - JUL 27, 2008 does not count
This confusing brew is more like a cross between an imperial porter and imperial stout. Smells of a vanilla toffee milkshake, and appears blacker and more opaque than any stout. The head is hearty and dark with a hot chocolate cream appearance that leaves beautiful lacing which changes with every sip. Some alcohol is apparent as the beer warms but is not overwhelming or unpleasant. Other flavors include coffee, chocolate, walnut, and burnt oak. The palate is creamy, reminiscent of a milk stout as is Dogfish’s Immort Ale. While this beer confuses me, it also makes me happy! I don’t know if I am drinking an American Strong Ale, an Imperial Porter, or an Imperial Stout, but I know it tastes fantastic!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
bigrond (1499) - factoryville, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 26, 2008
this beer is strong, almost to strong. the abv is over the top. Alcohol is evident is every phase of this beer. American strong ale is a catch all for beers that don’t fit a certain mold. This beer is truely a one of a kind. But its real hard to drink. It goes down real slow and tough. I love Dogfish Head, but not this beer. It gets extra points for the ABV

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bumpskier (33) - Sonoma, California, USA - JUL 26, 2008
Bottle from a friend in SF. Pours a rich dark color and a fine dark head. Smells mildly of the wood in which it was aged. Any beer that has 12% ABV is going to declare it upon first inhale. However, this was quite restrained. The 12% is nicely hidden behind rich dark malt aromas. I too was anticipating more on the flavor side. More complexity from the wood and malts. Perhaps I expect too much, a beer like this is no easy task. I’m glad to have had it, next time I will wait until it gets colder outside and I can take in some smoky aroma from my fireplace to give that complexity that I missed.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
heykevin (1281) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - JUL 26, 2008
A rich dark color with a tan head. Aroma is that of an alcoholic chocolate milkshake (malted) Plenty of alcohol in the aroma but still interesting enough. Flavor is a bit lifeless, with a heavy alcoholic flavor. I don’t get a lot of wood character, but I’m not sure what I’m looking for. My main impression is that of an unroasty imperial stout. Same sort of thickness, body wise as well as alcoholic perception.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
luv2brew (196) - Chesterfield, Virginia, USA - JUL 26, 2008
Pours a deep thick dark brown with a massive chocoloate head. The nose comes acoss as mild dark chocolate. There is a sharp taste with a milkd chocolatey flavor that really gets better at the end. There is a sweetness that is molasses or maple syrup like, but not too overpowering. Although it weighs in at twelve percent, it doesn’t come across like it until you really get into this one.

moseslikesbeer (183) - conestoga, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 26, 2008
bottle. very dark pour with brown head. aroma of fruit and smoke. Tastsed like fruit and smoke. I wasn’t sure if I would like the two tastes together and I have to say they blend very well. May be a bit too strong for some people. BRAVO Dogfish Head!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dmtroyer (431) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 26, 2008
12oz. Pours a flat dark brown, almost black with a small brown head. Aroma is a blast of alcohol with sweet barley ringing in the background. Body is surprisingly lifted with vanilla, caramel, slightest notion of coffee and loads of wood. Very, very soft but the creamy mouthfeel lets them get away with it. This makes me think of an Immort Ale @ 90%, which I’m a fan of as I tend to think the Immort is a bit over the top.

decaturstevo (5743) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - JUL 26, 2008
A brown red pour so thick it leaves a sheen on the glass as you swirl it. Cherries brown sugar and toasted malt on the nose. Pepper, molasses, and abv on the flavor with the toasted malt. Full bodied with creamy carbonation. Very solid.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
robforbes (2128) - Bremerton, Washington, USA - JUL 25, 2008
pours a black with a small khaki head.
smell of dark fruit, cocoa, sour malt, touch of caramel, alcohol is present.
taste is thick, sour, dark chocolate, prunes, alcohol, wood, some roasted malt, end is somewhat bitter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Philip (436) - Illinois, USA - JUL 25, 2008
From a bottle at the Indiana Brewer’s Guild Festival, 2008. I didn’t expect to see Dogfish Head represented, but I was pleased to find them. I’m impressed again at their ingenuity in crafting another beer that blends styles and offers a new experience for the palate. Notes of cedar, caramel, nutmeg, and clove blend together with riesling grape and toffee. Beautiful hue to the appearance. Finish is brown sugar and spice. Well done.