overall

RATINGS: 1824   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.45   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Punkin' Ale is a full-bodied, spiced brown ale brewed with baked pumpkins, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar. Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale is named after the annual Punkin' Chunkin Festival held near Lewes, Delaware the weekend after Halloween.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Gachupines (858) - USA - OCT 5, 2004
Decent beer, but not inclined to purchase again. Taste is slightly spicy with taste of pumpkin. Ultimately interesting like most of their beers, but it did not connect with me like others that Iíve had. Then again, I may just not like pumpkin beers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Nel (180) - Virginia, USA - OCT 5, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 2, 2006 Pours out a light amber brown. I detect some light nutmeg and hops in the nose. The flavor is nice and malty with a slight spicy finish. I really donít detect a lot of pumpkin flavor in this one, but I still like it ok.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jimmack (1222) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - OCT 5, 2004
Clear, golden/orange color with a small white head. Sweet aroma, mostly of nutmeg and cinnamon. Sweet initial taste, then dries out nicely. Spicy flavor of nutmeg and cinnamon with very little pumpkin taste at all.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
biznizness (1071) - Mooresville, North Carolina, USA - OCT 5, 2004
I think itís different this year. Donít like it as much as before. Flavor isnít... how should I say this... as full as I would like? Something isnít right about it, like diet soda doesnít taste quite right. Love it when I first tried it but Iím just not crazy about it anymore. In fact, I donít even think Iíll pick any more up this fall.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
drinkbeer (281) - Redondo Beach, California, USA - OCT 4, 2004
Yes, this is a good pumpkin ale. Not watery like others I have tried, yet was hoping perhaps for a tad more pumpin in my punkin. Nice switch-up from "usual" styles though.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 3, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 11, 2006 Crystal clear golden body and sudsy off-white head. Squash aroma in the nose plus some mild warm spices. Nutmeg, cinnamon, and brown sugar flavors and mild pumpkin qualities. Abundant starchy pumpkin in the flavor, plus a mild chlorophenolic note. Medium body with a nice smooth texture. Enjoyable pumpkin ale overall.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Loddeer (171) - USA - OCT 3, 2004
A very good seasonal brew, although I was hoping the flavor of pumpkin and spices would be more noticable. Still pretty tasty, but could have been much better. I have yet to have a pumpkin ale that has really impressed me.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
michael-pollack (4960) - King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 3, 2004
Draught: Slightly spciy, but also hoppy and malty aroma. Dark brown in color, though clear. Small white head. Little lacing. Flavor was of malts more than anything else. Did not have a real pumpkin, spicy, nutmeg, cinnamon or borwn sugar flavor. Flavor was more of an ESB than anything else. Lack of pumpkin and spicyness was dissappointment. Easy drink. Overall, I love Dogfish Head, but this was the most dissappointing of their beers that I have had.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Crosling (1863) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - OCT 3, 2004
This Punkin ale pours a mixed fall season leaves. The head is a light tan. Huge Root Beer aroma. Sudbtle nuances of pumpkin and nutmeg illustrate the nose as well. This also kind of smells like a coke/vodka combination. It is quite wierd. It smells...just not great at all. Blah. Iím struggling to get this stuff down. This stuff is total destruction to my mouth. No lack of flavor just bad flavor and this stuff is way too carbonated.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
tomxcs (320) - Berkeley, California, USA - OCT 2, 2004
A coppery amber color, little head. Unique peppery aroma, probably due to the allspice, along with malt. Taste is at first a spicy pale ale with dry, watery pumpkin pie flavors coming in later. This was good, although when I see "pumpkin" on the label I expect to be hit with pumpkin & pumpkin pie spices. This does not happen but both tastes are very noticeable yet sort of subtle. Weird, dry mouthfeel.