overall

RATINGS: 1949   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.46   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Punkin' Ale is a full-bodied, spiced brown ale brewed with baked pumpkins, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar. Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale is named after the annual Punkin' Chunkin Festival held near Lewes, Delaware the weekend after Halloween.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 1/20
Mienzigo (6) - Dover, Delaware, USA - OCT 12, 2004 does not count
all i can say is, i live 30 mins from the brewery, and i wonít buy this one. i love a bunch of their brews, but the Punkin Ale was too overpowering with the spices. tasted more like a ginger snap dosed in nutmeg concentrate. iíve have a couple pumpkin ales and this was def my least fav

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
crazyvin (2026) - New York, USA - OCT 11, 2004
poured a deep brown color with a slight white head. A nice mix of spice, malts and hops on the nose. Pumpkin was prevelent but not overpowering a good balanced beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - OCT 11, 2004
2004 Bottle Deep and clear amber with a small white head. Spicy aroma of pumpkin pie filling. Body is full as promised and smooth as well. Flavor is fantastic as long as youíre in to pumpkin pie flavor as I am. Not over the top with spice yet just enough to make a good spiced ale. This is one of the better attempts at pumpkin brews.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (5368) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 9, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 4, 2011 I like this breweryís creativity a lot. However I find that most pumpkin beers fail to live up to my favorite which was from the John Harvards brewpub that used to be in Monroeville. With reasonable anticipation I grabbed this one. I was not disappointed. +++ Sampled from a 12 oz brown bottle the beer poured a bright orange-brown color with a medium sized tan head that faded quickly. The aroma was sweet and had definite pumpkin and spice character. The mouthfeel was relatively thick as is usual with this brewer. The flavor was spicy, mildly sweet and had notes of cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar. The beer was dry and spicy on the finish. There was a light pumpkiny undertone. One of the better pumpkin beers I have found in a bottle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
willblake (2654) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - OCT 9, 2004
09.29.04 12oz bottle. Old penny copper, visibly carbonated with big bubbles. Marbly, thin head. Aromas certainly reveal some fresh squash,sourdough maltiness, old hay, and subdued savory spices - nutmeg, ginger. Flavor is extra spiced. Lots of ginger snap with that familiar throat burn. A bit sharp, otherwise a fair, spicey brown ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Gachupines (1062) - USA - OCT 5, 2004
Decent beer, but not inclined to purchase again. Taste is slightly spicy with taste of pumpkin. Ultimately interesting like most of their beers, but it did not connect with me like others that Iíve had. Then again, I may just not like pumpkin beers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Nel (180) - Virginia, USA - OCT 5, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 2, 2006 Pours out a light amber brown. I detect some light nutmeg and hops in the nose. The flavor is nice and malty with a slight spicy finish. I really donít detect a lot of pumpkin flavor in this one, but I still like it ok.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jimmack (1223) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - OCT 5, 2004
Clear, golden/orange color with a small white head. Sweet aroma, mostly of nutmeg and cinnamon. Sweet initial taste, then dries out nicely. Spicy flavor of nutmeg and cinnamon with very little pumpkin taste at all.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
biznizness (1135) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - OCT 5, 2004
I think itís different this year. Donít like it as much as before. Flavor isnít... how should I say this... as full as I would like? Something isnít right about it, like diet soda doesnít taste quite right. Love it when I first tried it but Iím just not crazy about it anymore. In fact, I donít even think Iíll pick any more up this fall.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
drinkbeer (283) - Redondo Beach, California, USA - OCT 4, 2004
Yes, this is a good pumpkin ale. Not watery like others I have tried, yet was hoping perhaps for a tad more pumpin in my punkin. Nice switch-up from "usual" styles though.