RATINGS: 2441   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Raison D'Etre Voted 'American Beer Of The Year' in January 2000 by Malt Advocate Magazine. A deep mahogany ale brewed with beet sugar, green raisins, and Belgian yeast. As complex as a fine red wine. 36 IBU - available year round, 12 ounce bottles & draft - Descriptors: Notes of pit fruit, decadent, winey, raisiney, malty

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
McWhite (108) - Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 23, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 7, 2003 Reminded me of some of the Belgian Strong Ales I've tried, but unfortunately, my palate did not detect the raisins or beet sugar. It was decent and I realize it's classified as a Spice/Herb/Vegetable, but I'd rather have a Belgian strong any day. Re-rate: Lowered the taste a point because the last few bottles I've had have left a terrible rubbing alcohol aftertaste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - SEP 20, 2003
A unique brew. Reddish brown, tan head. Complex aroma: sweet malt, yeast, brandylike, earthy. Sweet flavor, not overwhelming, once again very complex. Slight tingle on the lips, fairly thin, but strong feel. Might not be a beer to drink over and over but should be tried at the very least.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
WastedYouthBrew (143) - Phila (Home of Geno's Steaks), Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 17, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 19, 2003 Welcome back my fellow persons and people I don’t care to recognize. For its been far to long and few to many. A great brew none the less, with an outstanding sense of purpose, I only wish to encounter more of its kind... Wow I really have to stop drinking when I write these little articles, and I apologize greatly for whoever read that, which I have already deleted. So with that being said. Its been awhile but I’m back in the saddle and starting out with an amazing beer to boot. Great color, like a fine wine, I think so, great smell that tingles the tips of your nose hairs and causes them to dance a small jig, and above all exceptional taste. Yum Yum Yum, go out and get you some.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
haddon90 (1575) - Costa Mesa, California, USA - SEP 16, 2003
A rich copper color that poured very clear and had a decent sized head. Not much aroma, and well balanced with the falvor, malt, and hops. Like alanC said, quite complex!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
flemdawg (550) - Rowlett, Texas, USA - SEP 9, 2003
Wow, that was the first words that came from my mouth after the first sip. Interesting to say the least. Red color, and slightly brown. A bit of a sweet-spice-fruit aroma. Complex flavor that consited of raisons, other fruits, a bit of spice, and some sugary sweetness. This will only be consumed once in a while to keep it tasting good.

bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - SEP 9, 2003
deep reddish brown with a nice light brown head. Sweet aroma of plums, roasted malt, and some spice. Taste is fruity with hints of plums,raisins, some spice, and caramel malt sweetness. comples, a sipping beer to be enjoyed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
1more4dessert (334) - Upstate, New York, USA - SEP 8, 2003
olfactory cues like a fine canadian whiskey, garnet red not much head good lace. tastes - prune juice, figs, smoke, dates, damn this is good sipping beer. This is the best and most adventurous brewery in the US.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DiamondD (38) - Sammamish, Washington, USA - SEP 5, 2003
Nice deep red color. Wow, what an aroma. This is a good beer. Flavor is mellow, fruity and just down right tasty. Belgian yeast is extremely subtle, yet balancing. Very well excuted beer. Long live Dogfish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
baseballguy (246) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 3, 2003
For sheer flavor complexity, this beer has to rank high. As others have noted, it is not an everyday libation, but it is truly a memorable one.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HighlanderOne (1104) - Bergen County, New Jersey, USA - AUG 31, 2003
What do I taste? What Don't I taste here - raisins, molasses, clove, banana, smoke - I'll probably taste more next time. Has an alcohol kick in the aftertaste as well. They managed to mix all the flavors together for a very palatable taste. Not a beer that you'd wanna have more than one at a time, but an extremely well made beer.