Dogfish Head Raison D Extra

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 985   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 555   ABV: 18.5%
Raison D’Extra is our amped up version of the Raison D’Etre. It is brewed from a similar grist (raisins included) to a massive 42P, giving it 20.5%ABV, along with 20 IBU and a color of 20L.
18.5% ABV in 11/2005 12 oz. release

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Beerdedone (2609) - Croydon, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 15, 2006
Bottle sampled with Stegosaurus. Pours bronze with a light tan head. Aroma of raisins, alcohol, citrus, and spices. Flavor is smooth, raisins, spices, and alcohol. One of my favorite beers, highly recommended.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ajwilliams (132) - , Indiana, USA - NOV 19, 2008
UPDATED: DEC 7, 2009 Wow, this is a unique beer. You won’t be bored while drinking it, but you will probably be half drunk by the end of your first bottle. That said, the taste is killer, the warmth is great, and the aroma is RAISON. This beer straight up has character. 8/2/09 Just opened one of these from September 2006, and the flavor is significantly improved. The age has given it a richer, darker character. The aroma is of dark fruit (yes, including raison) and chocolate. The flavor has smoothed out and features chocolate, overripe fruit, and brown sugar (and yes, raisons). Wonderful beer. Aroma: 9, Appearance: 5, Flavor: 9, Palate: 5, Overall: 18. 4.6 12/7/09 Another 2006 bottle, and this one is even better than the last, with a distinct note of coffee on top of everything else.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
haddon90 (1451) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 26, 2003
Poured a deep copper color with a quick dimishing head full of fruity aroma. Complex taste, yet very satisfying. The alcohol soothes at it went down my throat. Full of fruit, spice, and malt. One of the best beers from Dogfish! Shared one of my 2 bottles with Jeremy (jgb9348)! What a class act man.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Pwn3d (1962) - Manhattan, New York, USA - NOV 23, 2010
2007 bottle at the brewpub with James. So mind-bendingly delicious. Graham, vanilla, raisin, slight plum, fig, probably the best dfh.

BeerandBlues2 (9596) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - NOV 29, 2005
12-oz. bottle. Pours coppery mahagony with a very faint edgy tan head and slow rising tiny bubbles are the only thing disturbing this thick liquor that is beer. Huge fruity port and raisins to welcome you and all your senses to this beer, hoppy candied fruit (berries) and caramel malt, brown sugar, maple and alcohol round out the complex aroma. Dry port highly acidic drying start to the flavor, fruity candied hop that remains on the palate giving the raisins a place to dance, shortly giving way to the resinous hop and caramel malt (cookie) finish. Medium and full bodied, thick, smooth and warm palate. Each sip is better than the prior, leaving me extremely thirsty for more of this heavenly brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
tsgrayson (15) - Bainbridge Island, Washington, USA - FEB 1, 2006
The beer reminds me of flowers on a spring morning. Come on...its beer!!!! Super sweet and strong...its good..enogh said.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
rmeinert (7) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - FEB 20, 2007 does not count
Normally when I think of an American Strong ale I imagine something very hoppy and aggressive such as Double Bastard. This is completely different. I was lucky enought to have one that was cellared since ’02. The aroma was similar to the same brewery’s world wide stout, namely sweet alcohol, but it also had alto of the same smell characteristics of its younger brother: Raison D’etre. When I fist tasted it I was amazed at how sweet it was, nothing likr the other American Strong Ales I’ve had before. After my first taste of it I left it for about 15 minutes so that it could have a chance to open up. The next time I put my nose in that snifter I was knocked on my ass. Every smell had enhanced greatly but the alcohol was overpowering. Anyone who has ever been in a distillery knows how thick and dizzying the air in them is. The air in this snifter was very similar which at first made me believe that I had made a terrible mistake letting it warm up so much. I was wrong the flavor had become so nice that I had to sit down after taking a sip. The alcohol flavor was enhanced greatly making it quite hot but it was a nice warming reminder of how strong this beer actually is. Besides, what do you expect when you buy a beer that is 20.5% alcohol. I would not recommend that anyone try to drink an entire bottle of this by themselves. Your tastebuds will be exhausted after half of it and the other half will just be a waste

AndyReynolds (879) - Dayton, Kentucky, USA - AUG 8, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 12, 2008 I tried the 12 oz. bottle. Pours a light amber color with a thin white head. Strong raisin aroma that combined ripened fruits, grape, caramel, and brown sugar. Taste is similar, with a sweet finish. It went down super smooth for the alcohol content. This beer really surprised me and I liked it a lot.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
NickVega (154) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - MAR 31, 2010
Too bad the bottle is not as cool as the Rate Beer pic anymore... but at least this baby is available occasionally. First time I had this was in a goblet at DFH -- blew my mind and kind of overwhelmed my burger. Since, I’ve enjoyed many bottles -- share this one as it can put you down. Like the Palo Santo, this is a great beer to offer those folks who normally do not like beer. This is like experiencing a wonderful aged port but with perfectly light carbonation/effervescence.

patrickfannon (1239) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 25, 2010
Bottle. 12 oz. (2007 Vintage) Pours a ruby blood red with a thick, creamy, tan lace head. Slight lacing throughout. Aroma of toffee, burnt caramel, brown sugars, maple, peanut brittle, vanilla, oak, stron raisins and quad-style Belgian grapes. Medium bodied with a silk, seductively lethal smooth velvet palate. The alcohol is hidden so well, it is astonishing. Only slight bourbon and rum notes resonate in the last moments of the finish. This is a truly excellent example of a "big beer" done well. Highly recommended. Guys, bottom line: Great piece. Had to have it.