overall

RATINGS: 996   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
A big, Belgian-style Wit brewed with coriander and orange peel and fermented with Pinot Noir juice. After fermentation a fraction of the batch is aged in Oregon Pinot Noir barrels, and another fraction is aged on oak staves. The beer is blended together before packaging. This has been one of our most popular Limited Edition beers at both our Rehoboth Beach, DE brewpub and at festivals. It successfully marries the refreshing citrusy qualities of a Belgian-style white beer with the robust complexity of a bold red wine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
CheersMate (1305) - Fremont (Seattle), Washington, USA - MAR 30, 2007
An okay beer. I wasnít too happy with this beer. I thought that Dogfish Head would vastly improve the taste of the Witbier, but that didnít happen. The aroma is nice and fruity. Instead of having a strictly citrus flavor, the beer smells more peachy to me. I love the color, it is not yellowish, as most Witbiers are. There is little head, and the beer is very creamy. The taste just doesnít cut it for me. Very weak, and lasts only a short period of time. I like the better than other Witbier, but I see room for improvement. Tends to have a bitter strike towards the end, which makes this an interesting Witbier.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Goldorak (439) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 29, 2007
They werenít kidding, it really is red (a very nice crimson) and white (pearly white head that held firm)!
Acidic nose that reminded me of raspberry vinegar. I wasnít sold at first, but it sort of grew on me. Not much grape, oak or fruit peel in the nose, at least not that I personally detected.
Sweet and fruity shows that DFH know how to make Beers with solid malt backbones, and they didnít overdo it with the barrel aging that often strips the maltyness away. And it hides the 11% dangerously well. You can feel a certain raisin aftertaste, and the oak was only a minor participant in the flavor profile, kudos for that, and for an overall very well made Beer.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 5/20
Sudz (7) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - MAR 29, 2007 does not count
Really excited about this one, but was left disappointed. Interesting nose, kinda funky and weird, reminded me of the smell of a spit bucket. Not sure I liked it, but at this price I was really trying. I will say great color! The flavor was also a bit weird, almost like drinking one of those beer coctails that were popular in the í90s. Canít say I particularly enjoyed it, but Iím glad I tried.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
DubC (8) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAR 29, 2007 does not count
Pours a deep amber red. High alcohol content without being too full in body. Strong citrus aroma with a fruity taste and spicy finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DCJack (181) - Alabama, USA - MAR 29, 2007
really nice. I generally do not like fruity beers, but this dry trace of pinot noir is an excellent touch. Excellent appearance and body. Very full, alcohol content very subtle. A new favorite.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MartinT (7677) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 27, 2007
My Bottom Line:
Evocative orange peels are combined with flower petals to form a creative companion to the grape juice. The cushy carbonation and balanced spiciness are crucial in making this Belgian Witbier succeed with the Pinot Noir fruitiness.

Further Personal Perceptions:
-A veil of foam covers the rosy cranberry red.
-This is well-malted, and the mouthfeel is very classy.
-Light tartness dries up the back end, as cranberry fruitiness swirls by.
-Alcohol is very well-hidden, which seems to be a DFH standard.
-The bready yeast adequately supports the spicy flower bouquet.

Bottled in February í07. Thx Eric!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
ukoolaid (576) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 27, 2007
Pours a cloudy orange amber with a white pinkish head. Good lacing. Aroma is sweet malts and orange peel. Taste is juicy and light with coriander and pepper spices. Finishes with a lightly tart citrus. This is damn good. When Dogfish experiments itís not always perfect, but this one is great.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
TheRimmer (483) - Florida, USA - MAR 27, 2007
Bonus points for creativity. Even if a dogfish brew sucks, at least theyíre trying something innovative. This is far from suck. Pours a violet red. Smells thinly of vinous qualities, fruits, yeast. Taste was wine-like but with spicey notes, some honey, and fruits. Finished the same. Very soft, delicate taste and palate. Alcohol is hidden. Balanced perfectly.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
bb (6715) - Alamo, California, USA - MAR 26, 2007
Bottle. Amber, slight prplish, beer with a pink/purple head. Yeasty, slight citrus aroma. Yeasty, spicy, orange, slight grape flavor. Medium body. Lingering fruit and orange/yeast. Hudes alcohol well. Grape flavor gets stronger, but itís definately a strong Belgian Wit first.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 25, 2007
Ok, I get the Red and White now. Light puce amber color with a moderate off pink head. Fairly stable couple of centimeters of foam forming a lid. with light ring a lace in the wake of each sip. Floral soap aromas with hints of coriander. As it sets some fresh berry scent come out. A dichotomy of scents, there are some that I enjoy, with hints of wheat and spice; and then some seem to remind me of a cheap berry wine. While not present in the aroma, the strength does come out after a few quaffs with a mild flame and spice in the finish. Start does have a light sweet wheat and spice quality, quite typical of a wit. The middle kicks in and suddenly there is a burst of grapes and berries, there is even a light malt liquor quality (that corn/grain sweetness presence). Finish as stated prior has a certain spiciness and bitterness. Yes, orange rinds do seem to be in the forefront. LInger is rather dry with a gentle return to some malt and wheat. Itís odd, I shared my first bottle of this with some friend the other night and without thinking about rating, thought higher of this one. Perhaps my rating should be higher, or perhaps lower, as I maybe tempering this rating with my prior thought. Hell I donít know. Either way, I enjoyed the experience. I think I thought about this one too much.