overall

RATINGS: 1027   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
A big, Belgian-style Wit brewed with coriander and orange peel and fermented with Pinot Noir juice. After fermentation a fraction of the batch is aged in Oregon Pinot Noir barrels, and another fraction is aged on oak staves. The beer is blended together before packaging. This has been one of our most popular Limited Edition beers at both our Rehoboth Beach, DE brewpub and at festivals. It successfully marries the refreshing citrusy qualities of a Belgian-style white beer with the robust complexity of a bold red wine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 25, 2007
Ok, I get the Red and White now. Light puce amber color with a moderate off pink head. Fairly stable couple of centimeters of foam forming a lid. with light ring a lace in the wake of each sip. Floral soap aromas with hints of coriander. As it sets some fresh berry scent come out. A dichotomy of scents, there are some that I enjoy, with hints of wheat and spice; and then some seem to remind me of a cheap berry wine. While not present in the aroma, the strength does come out after a few quaffs with a mild flame and spice in the finish. Start does have a light sweet wheat and spice quality, quite typical of a wit. The middle kicks in and suddenly there is a burst of grapes and berries, there is even a light malt liquor quality (that corn/grain sweetness presence). Finish as stated prior has a certain spiciness and bitterness. Yes, orange rinds do seem to be in the forefront. LInger is rather dry with a gentle return to some malt and wheat. Itís odd, I shared my first bottle of this with some friend the other night and without thinking about rating, thought higher of this one. Perhaps my rating should be higher, or perhaps lower, as I maybe tempering this rating with my prior thought. Hell I donít know. Either way, I enjoyed the experience. I think I thought about this one too much.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
bgburdman9 (859) - Kettering, Ohio, USA - MAR 25, 2007
Pours a light brown with reddish hues. Aroma was of some spices, alcohol, and maybe some light grapes. Flavor was very tasty. I could taste a little bit of the oranginess and some of the lemon from the coriander. The palate on this was most impressive. I didnt get the huge sweetness that I usually get in dogfish head beers. This left a clear palate that didnt bog down my tongue. Very tastey, joe is wrong on this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
jimbowood (1036) - Freeport, Georgia, USA - MAR 24, 2007
Bottle. Pours like a shirley temple. Very nice beer. Been a long time since Iíve said that about a DFH beer. A very drinkable, interesting, fruity, sweet, but not overly sweet beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
axilla (962) - New Providence, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 24, 2007
Derfinately the darkest wit Iíve seen. Kind of a medium amber color with an off-white, foamy head. A Very nice Pinot Noir aroma with a good bit of oranages and a mild funk. Oranges come through a lot stronger in the flavor. Starts off with sweet oranges and kind of dries out a bit with the Pinot Noir flavors, the the oranges come back in the finish. A very interesting beer. Possibly the most enjoyable orange flavor Iíve ever tasted in a beer. Iím glad the funkiness I got out of the aroma was a lot more restrained in the flavor. I was a bit worried that it would ruin the beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jimmack (1223) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - MAR 23, 2007
750ml. bottle. Reddish copper color with a small off white head. Mildly vinous aroma with some coriander, oak and oranges. Yeasty, lightly vinous flavor with coriander, oranges and an odd vegetal finish. Solid, but given the price I probably wouldnít buy it again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
cewldre (268) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAR 22, 2007
Bottle: The pour of this beer must be where it gets its name. The color was red, with a nice white head to fill it in. I smelled a lot of fruit in this one. I noticed banana and orange in here. Taste is also very sweet in this one. Again, I noted some banana flavors and orange flavors. I also noticed that this one was feeling a little hot. I didnít read the Commercial descirption until now, but I noted that the beer definitely had a distinct belgian style taste to it, much like the description reads.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
LinusStick (2954) - Moon Twp, suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 22, 2007
Once again Dogfish Head lives up to what I donít like about itís "big" beers. It seems they just throw as much into the pot as possible to make a different but cluttered beer. Aroma was wheat and citrus. The taste was too much. Strong alcohol, heavy aftertaste of oranges and wheat. Thick and syrupy mouthfeel with citrusy backbone and spicy finish. Vanilla and oak come in later. I knew this beer would get high ratings because of the high alcohol content but I just canít see it. Itís too muddled.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
OhioDad (2492) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - MAR 21, 2007
750ml bottle pours beautiful reddish amber with a frothy pinkish white head that stayed very well. Aromas of grapes, wood, vanilla, spice, and yeast. Flavor is dominated by vinous notes but there is a good amount of oak, vanilla, spice, a little berry flavor, and yeast in this as well. Even a little smoke. Medium body with pretty adequate carbonation to give it a nice smooth mouthfeel. This really was pretty tasty I thought... Probably the best wit Iíve ever tasted...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
spector (906) - Lancaster, Ohio, USA - MAR 21, 2007
Lots of spices dominate the aroma.Pours a deep brown with a medium white head.Sweet malt and lots of spices in the flavor.Medium mouthfeel with a little too much spice in the finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
FoolishMortal (990) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 20, 2007
750mL bottle. Deep red-orange color with a small white head. Heavy coriander and an earthy citrus component in the aroma. Wheaty palate with some oily citrus and heavy pungent coriander. Mild grapey astringency in the finish with residual spiciness and a fair amount of alcohol heat. Mouthfeel is a heavy medium.