overall

RATINGS: 1024   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
A big, Belgian-style Wit brewed with coriander and orange peel and fermented with Pinot Noir juice. After fermentation a fraction of the batch is aged in Oregon Pinot Noir barrels, and another fraction is aged on oak staves. The beer is blended together before packaging. This has been one of our most popular Limited Edition beers at both our Rehoboth Beach, DE brewpub and at festivals. It successfully marries the refreshing citrusy qualities of a Belgian-style white beer with the robust complexity of a bold red wine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JaPe (69) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 24, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 25, 2008 Tart almost taniny flavor followed by sour yeasty flavor of a belgian. Nice crisp texture small head and reddish color. Leaves a slightly bubbly sensation on the tongue and its gone... There is a alot to this beer. Very sophisticated, but a little bit dry for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
millysdaddy (67) - Alexandria, Virginia, USA - APR 29, 2007
750 ml. bottle. Pours a clear, amber, red - very similar to a rose wine. Aroma of orange juice, wheat, and a little spice. Flavors of orange peel, coriander and sweet malt. Thereís also a mild, underlying bitterness. The finish is dry and a little bitter. Interesting and different.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cowboy7096 (64) - Arlington, Texas, USA - MAR 29, 2010
Multiple fruity tastes through from beggining to end, it seemed like the second glass was more fruity?! Almost as if it had seperated a bit , or maybe the alcohol was kicking in haha. I had to finish the last glass a little faster than I wanted and it was a bit harsh, I suggest drinking only if you have time to sip. I might not buy this again because it was a bit expensive (12.99), but it was an awesome one time gift for a spring afternoon.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MikeyMalts (64) - Davis, California, USA - AUG 16, 2011
750 ml bottle. Bought in the Spring 11í at Nugget. Appearance: Pours semi-hazy light auburn color. An initial frothy white head, that dissipates to excellent lacing. Aroma: Sweet cherries, grapes, peaches, pear, slight alcohol, oranges, lemons, Pinot Noir is there. Taste: A malty sweetness. Cherries, citrus fruits in aroma, honey, vanilla, light caramel, good amount of oak, a hint of booze, some sourness and leaves a nice tang on the finish. Palate: Med bodied. Very smooth and drinkable. Heavy carbonation that is equally pleasant. Tart on the finish, but doesnít take away from the flavor, only adds more complexity. Overall: A really delicious beer! Itís what I expected from DFH and even a little more. Would for sure buy and drink again. Try this if you have the chance. Would have let it age longer, but I had it in my beer fridge since I could only buy it chilled. --(32nd Rating)--

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
nijuro (63) - USA - MAY 30, 2007
beautiful oxblood red with a lingering white head. strong citrus on the nose, with a complex bitter orange and dark fruit taste. Cedar stands out and the balance is great.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jseifer (62) - Orlando, Florida, USA - AUG 11, 2010
Had in a bottle. Pours a cloudy amber. Tastes of berries with nuts on the finish (lol). It does not smell good. It smells like a merlot almost. That said, itís an all around great beer with a complex palette that is fun to try and pick out.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
jdhunt76 (56) - Winter Springs, Florida, USA - MAY 19, 2007
Bottle. Ruby red pour with a snow white head. Lovely, wine-like aroma with hints of cherry and red raspberry. Medium body. The orange and coriander come out in the taste, along with the cherry and raspberry I had detected in the aroma. Alcohol is only noticeable in hints in the aftertaste. With all of the flavors that go into this one, the final flavor seems a little subdued. But then again, Pinots are such delicate, subtle reds that I guess it makes sense that the end result here is likewise subtle and mellow. Not my favorite of the Dogfish lineup, but their innovative spirit really shows through in brews like this one, and that is the quality I love most about this brewer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
specksnreds (55) - USA - APR 16, 2008
This yearís lacks some of the Pinot overtone, but I love it nonetheless. Spectacular balance, disguised alcohol and a spicy aroma. Great dry finish. I think I like this yearís better than last. Donít know if itíll benefit from a little shelf time, but Iíll put one away and see.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheCorkStops (53) - Connecticut, USA - JAN 13, 2012
After a great deal of mixed emotions, Iím sitting down tonight with the Dogfish Head Red and White. I say mixed emotions because there has been very little hype about this beer, yet its very hard to find. Iíve had a few other brews with the grape-juice concept, some have been great (Otter Creek QVH) some have been mediocre. The Dogfish Red and White starts out as a Wit-style, they then add some pinot noir grape juice, ferment again, and age a small percentage in used pinot noir barrels. So I say again, mixed emotions. The Red and White pours into my glass almost glowing of reddish/orange/amber color. It is seriously one of the most uniquely colored beers Iíve ever seen. Its not clear, but not really cloudy either. Its dark amber in color, but almost brightly hued (if thatís possible). The foam is prominent at first, but probably from my vigorous pour. The foam dissipates quickly, leaving a very mild lacing on the glass. Once I take a sip, Iím very, very intrigued. The Red and White is extremely smooth and drinkable, yet fairly bold and complex. With each smell and sip, Iím getting hints of new layers. For the most part I think its much more "beer-like" than I had expected. Very subtle flavors of pinot noir fruit, but if I were not a wine drinker they may have gone unnoticed. As the beer warms, more flavors and aromas appear. Hints of orange, maybe red berries, as well as some mild spices like clove and cinnamon. Iím really having a hard time putting my finger on everything thatís going on here. At the very least I need to have another one of these Red and Whites with company. I think if Matt and I were both sampling we could help each other figure out whatís going on here.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ChapelThrill (52) - California, USA - APR 1, 2009
Bottle- 750 from BZ in Chicago. Loved the smell of this brew! I am also a wine lover... Strong scents of oak, and white wine type things like apple, citrus, and grapes. Interesting flavors blended with belgian and wine mix. Many donít like the clash, but it was very enjoyable. Definitely was appreciated more after a few sips.