overall

RATINGS: 682   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
A modern update on a 9th century Finnish proto-beer. Brewed with rye, we caramelize the wort with white hot river rocks, then ferment it with a German Weizen yeast. In addition to juniper berries foraged directly from the Finnish country-side we added a sort of tea made with coriander, cardamom, lemon grass, Indian Black Tea, and ramps leaves. The spicing is subtle and balanced and Sahtea is a highly-quaffable, truly-unique brew with a full-mouth feel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
craftycarl21 (2227) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - AUG 4, 2009
Clear amber pour with a big fluffy white head. Aroma definitely fulfills the brewing description- tea, cardamom, juniper, caramel, and yeast. Also notes of pumpkin and citrus. Flavor is quite different- relies heavily on spice and sweet malt- lots of clove, caramel, molasses, although the rye definitely comes out as well. Alcohol is amazingly well hidden on the palate. I really dig this beer, better than I expected, and better than most of Dogfish’s other strange experiments (Theobroma, etc.). Well done.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
maniac (3800) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - AUG 4, 2009
Bottle courtesy Allstar on 07/18/2009. Cloudy orange body with a medium frothy off-white head. Big spicy aroma with lots of allspice, and faint fruit. Sweet allspice, fruit, light pumpkin, and some floral notes. Medium body with moderate carbonation.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
dnstone (2140) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 3, 2009
Pour a gold color, similar to a triple, with minimal head. The aroma is spiced like pumpkin ale or winter warmer. The taste is of a lighter bodied ale with the strong spice notes of a holiday ale; the chi is very prominent and pleasant.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
SSSteve (3770) - - AUG 2, 2009
pours a hazy orange with no head. interesting herbal aroma with juniper, mint, cinnamon, rosemary, ginger, wintergreen. something that reminds of a gruit. flavor is very similar to aroma with noticeable tea notes. very herbal. a smooth, easy drinking palate with a medium body. no way this is 9%. very interesting with it’s story and organic creation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
biznizness (1071) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - AUG 2, 2009
Bottle from Brawley’s. Only 67 ratings, I guess I was lucky to grab this when I did. Looks and smells like a belgian ale, with a bit of the spicy flavor from the chai. Overall, a pretty interesting and tasty brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
OldGrowth (2663) - North Carolina, USA - AUG 2, 2009
on tap at Tyler’s Apex. Good aroma, sweet and spicy. caramel kind of sweet, lot of various spice, I wrote clove initially, but not mentioned in the ingredients, so it just has a bunch of spice is where I leave it. Hazed golden orange color, small head that faded quick, minor lace. Sweet spiced flavor. Lite body, oily creamy mouth feel, dry finish. Nice brew, It was very easy to drink and wouldn’t of guessed 9% by drinking, though the description in the beer menu told me as much. A lot of flavor with this one. A welcome surprise as I never know how these break with me. My score probably doesn’t indicate how much I liked it....

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
vtafro (3430) - Wayne, New Jersey, USA - AUG 1, 2009
Bottle. Will have to get my hands on this again. Bottle pours golden with a light white foam. Flavor and aroma are distinct, spice and black tea make for a very interesting experience definitely a must try. I feel like this beer is underrated.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
kassner (1351) - Wexford, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 31, 2009
Tasting at 3 Sons. This tastes sweet/sour with a hint of peppers. Slightly hazy golden color, with a slight oily sensation and honey. Ok but maybe too much in the blend of flavors.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
roder60 (1284) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 31, 2009
Pours a hazy dark gold/orange color with medium froathy whitish head. Aroma is sweetened fruits and a good amount of yeasty/spicey/doughiness. Flavor very tart and citric, with a bit of tea flavor and some dry booziness in the finish. Not a fan.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
pineypower (2509) - Pine Barrens, New Jersey, USA - JUL 30, 2009
Tap at Falls Church. Pours out a hazy yellowish color with a small off white head. Intriguing floral aroma, juniper is evident along with some spies. Taste is complex, juniper, floral notes, spices, citrus zest, some subtle notes of tea and a dry, actually slightly funky finish. The 2 hours I was there I saw about 4 people send it back and a few others taste and make a face similar to the face I make when I accidentally ingest weasel piss...I mean Coors. Once again Dogfish colors outside the lines and I think they hit the mark with this one. I like it.