overall

RATINGS: 689   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
A modern update on a 9th century Finnish proto-beer. Brewed with rye, we caramelize the wort with white hot river rocks, then ferment it with a German Weizen yeast. In addition to juniper berries foraged directly from the Finnish country-side we added a sort of tea made with coriander, cardamom, lemon grass, Indian Black Tea, and ramps leaves. The spicing is subtle and balanced and Sahtea is a highly-quaffable, truly-unique brew with a full-mouth feel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
SSSteve (3917) - - AUG 2, 2009
pours a hazy orange with no head. interesting herbal aroma with juniper, mint, cinnamon, rosemary, ginger, wintergreen. something that reminds of a gruit. flavor is very similar to aroma with noticeable tea notes. very herbal. a smooth, easy drinking palate with a medium body. no way this is 9%. very interesting with it’s story and organic creation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
biznizness (1124) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - AUG 2, 2009
Bottle from Brawley’s. Only 67 ratings, I guess I was lucky to grab this when I did. Looks and smells like a belgian ale, with a bit of the spicy flavor from the chai. Overall, a pretty interesting and tasty brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
OldGrowth (2868) - the Containment Area, North Carolina, USA - AUG 2, 2009
on tap at Tyler’s Apex. Good aroma, sweet and spicy. caramel kind of sweet, lot of various spice, I wrote clove initially, but not mentioned in the ingredients, so it just has a bunch of spice is where I leave it. Hazed golden orange color, small head that faded quick, minor lace. Sweet spiced flavor. Lite body, oily creamy mouth feel, dry finish. Nice brew, It was very easy to drink and wouldn’t of guessed 9% by drinking, though the description in the beer menu told me as much. A lot of flavor with this one. A welcome surprise as I never know how these break with me. My score probably doesn’t indicate how much I liked it....

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
vtafro (4506) - Wayne, New Jersey, USA - AUG 1, 2009
Bottle. Will have to get my hands on this again. Bottle pours golden with a light white foam. Flavor and aroma are distinct, spice and black tea make for a very interesting experience definitely a must try. I feel like this beer is underrated.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
kassner (1411) - Wexford, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 31, 2009
Tasting at 3 Sons. This tastes sweet/sour with a hint of peppers. Slightly hazy golden color, with a slight oily sensation and honey. Ok but maybe too much in the blend of flavors.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
roder60 (1288) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 31, 2009
Pours a hazy dark gold/orange color with medium froathy whitish head. Aroma is sweetened fruits and a good amount of yeasty/spicey/doughiness. Flavor very tart and citric, with a bit of tea flavor and some dry booziness in the finish. Not a fan.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
pineypower (2690) - Pine Barrens, New Jersey, USA - JUL 30, 2009
Tap at Falls Church. Pours out a hazy yellowish color with a small off white head. Intriguing floral aroma, juniper is evident along with some spies. Taste is complex, juniper, floral notes, spices, citrus zest, some subtle notes of tea and a dry, actually slightly funky finish. The 2 hours I was there I saw about 4 people send it back and a few others taste and make a face similar to the face I make when I accidentally ingest weasel piss...I mean Coors. Once again Dogfish colors outside the lines and I think they hit the mark with this one. I like it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Beerman6686 (5179) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 30, 2009
This poured a redish oranage color with an eggshell head. Aroma was very sweet, some spices and juniper. Flavor was nice and spicey, sweet, yet balance. Not much tea flavor, but overall a decent beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
WeeHeavySD (3361) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 28, 2009
Capped 750ml from Chevy Chase Wine and Liquor, shared with my girlfriend Cyn. Pours rich orange with a tan head. Nose is pretty damn fruity with a lot of different interesting notes. Taste is sweet, very drinkable very balanced and overall damn good. Juniper ale beers usually are not my thing but this is great!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
rocbyter (1935) - Waterbury, Connecticut, USA - JUL 27, 2009
Strong nutmeg aroma. Cloudy orange head with a airy white head. Sweet nutmeg head with a sweet and light bitter finish.