overall

RATINGS: 673   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
A modern update on a 9th century Finnish proto-beer. Brewed with rye, we caramelize the wort with white hot river rocks, then ferment it with a German Weizen yeast. In addition to juniper berries foraged directly from the Finnish country-side we added a sort of tea made with coriander, cardamom, lemon grass, Indian Black Tea, and ramps leaves. The spicing is subtle and balanced and Sahtea is a highly-quaffable, truly-unique brew with a full-mouth feel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
bobbypaulson (217) - Fergus Falls, Minnesota, USA - MAR 25, 2011
poured from a 750ml bottle receieved a case form one of my groomsmen for the wedding present. This beer is best if chilled and then opened and let it sit out and come down to room temp. The beer is a light amber color. smell of chia tea. Taste is the same. Great beer!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Nalu (216) - Washington, USA - SEP 16, 2010
Tap @ Parkway. Hazy dark gold pour with an off-white head leaving a moderate lace. Multiple flavors assault you at the first pull: spices, vegetables, fruits, maybe even meats? Definitely some tea in there. Too much going on for me and not balanced. I much prefer the Midas Touch or Theobroma from DFH.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
mjmcend (209) - USA - FEB 6, 2010
Pours dirty orange with small yeast particles. Aroma is solid coriander to ginger spiced. Slight spiced note. Almost too subtle for my liking. Slighlt over malted finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Nimrod979 (206) - Hagerstown, Maryland, USA - JUN 11, 2010
Pours a hazy orange with a tiny white head. Aroma is strong. Spicy and fruity aromas, cinnamon, pumpkin pie, gingerbread. Taste is some lemon zest, gingerbread and coriander, slight tea taste. Full mouthfeel, Good finish. Not really what I was expecting but the 9% makes you "warm" up to this beer as you drink it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
hcalsos (205) - Rælingen, NORWAY - FEB 11, 2012
Really smells of tea, together with caramel and banana. Pours a nice golden yellow beer, with a white head (floaters). Tastes of spices (cardamom and cinamon). Body is thin and dry. It was a very light to drink, exciting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
pistolpete (203) - USA - JUL 5, 2009
bomber.... a sweet brew with lots of coriander a little too much at that... overly sweet tea flavors... not really my style... expected more. ehh expected more

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
revolution2718 (203) - New Jersey, USA - JUN 2, 2013
Pours amber. The smell was not what I would expect from a beer, and the taste was the same. You get hit hard with chai, juniper, and spices. I found it to have a medicinal taste, reminded me of a cough drop. Not a fan. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
BigSound (196) - New York, USA - JUL 20, 2012
Pours light honey orange kicking up about an inch of white head that fizzes away quickly, no lacing. Beautiful aroma, notes of cinnamon, black tea, cardamon, allspice, pumkin, burnt sugars, and yes juniper berry. I’d say I whould have guessed it to be a pumpkin ale had I tryed it blind. In the flavor I defiantly get the brown sugar cinnamon, allspice that I’d expect in a pumpkin ale, but the black tea adds another layer of depth. Nice medium body and carbonation. Very nice brew, I will mention I am a little afraid as I get closer to the bottom where it looks like the yeast is starting to evolve into some kind of invertebrate. Anywho, I was surprised to find this beer for $6.99 and may go back and grab a few more to hold until fall.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Hopswagger (196) - South Carolina, USA - MAY 1, 2013
P: A vivacious apricot body housing a multitude of floaters. A nice off white bubbly thin head that has decent retention. Wet bubbly lacing that sloshes the sides but doesn’t stick. S: Cinnamon, chai, vanilla, toasted rye bread, spicy booze and juniper berries. Aroma is a cross between pumpkin pie and a chai latte. T/M: Cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, clove, juniper berries and rye bread create a cornucopia of lavish flavors. Toasted grains, chai, musty wood, dank yeast and boozy fruit follow. The aggressive effervesce leaves a tingly peppered palate. Saison like. O: This reminds me of gulab jamun but with more natural earthy essence and a dialed down syrupy sweetness. Super complex brew that has layers upon layers building an ever evolving flavor profile.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MereLikesBeer (195) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - JUL 22, 2009
So, I’ve finally gotten to my 100th beer! I decided to go with something a little special, something a little out of the ordinary, so I went with this tasty beverage. I am sharing a bottle of this with BeerBaron617, my bestest drinking buddy, and let’s just say we aren’t disappointed! It poured a really pretty light amber color with virtually no head, but the ring of bubbles around the top of the liquid is definitely white. Aroma, well, the brewer suggests that the spice is quite subtle and it’s quite the opposite - very spicy, especially cardamom. It reminds me a little of some cookies my mom makes a Christmas time (spicy cardamom triangles). It also has quite a refreshing quality to the aroma. Taste, is also quite spicy, especially as the beer warms. It’s malty, but not overly so...has a bit of a hop background, but really the tea and spice characteristics of this beer are overwhelmingly prominent. Cheers to Dogfish Head for brewing yet another wonderful beverage. They really know what they’re doing over there :)