overall

RATINGS: 689   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
A modern update on a 9th century Finnish proto-beer. Brewed with rye, we caramelize the wort with white hot river rocks, then ferment it with a German Weizen yeast. In addition to juniper berries foraged directly from the Finnish country-side we added a sort of tea made with coriander, cardamom, lemon grass, Indian Black Tea, and ramps leaves. The spicing is subtle and balanced and Sahtea is a highly-quaffable, truly-unique brew with a full-mouth feel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Blake (396) - Orange, California, USA - OCT 16, 2010
750 ml bottle - pours a hazy yellow / orange color with no head and very sligth carbonation. Aroma is heavy with floral notes - juniper, fruit, and a bit of honey. Flavor is exceptional. Full bodied with a sweet start and a smooth, floral finish. Touch of herbs, coriander, cinnamon pepper the tongue with a beautiful mix of varying flavors. Finishes sweet and lingers with a wonderful flavor that just ends this beer perfectly. An amazing beer and a new favorite of mine. A shame itís so expensive and hard to find - however, next time I see it, Iím picking up a six-pack :-)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jrmac (331) - South Carolina, USA - NOV 21, 2010
The brew pours an orange color with very little head. The nose is like a white ale with loads of citrus, honey, and spice. On the palate the spice comes through along with a very nice citrus flavor. This beer is quite good and very drinkable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
mcmisko (354) - New York, USA - JAN 28, 2012
Pours a golden orange. Tons of smell coming off! Warm chai, clove, cinnamon and citrus. Taste like candied orange with cinnamon, cardamon, clove, black tea, fresh giner and sweet malts. Thick mouth feel, like warm honey. This is a interesting beer gone perfectly right! what a wonderful marriage of spices!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
PumpkinBurger (46) - Connecticut, USA - JUN 22, 2012
talk about a really complex beer that brings a lot of different this together very nicely.. pours a dark gold with a medium off white head... nose is a mix of some citrus, some spice... flavor comes through with a lot of what reminds me of chai along with some sweetness and maybe a little banana and lemon... also got a little hint of biscuit... could probably enjoy this beer year round!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Bulk_Carrier (2575) - Temporarily, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 17, 2014
I had this in a mug due to Sahti recommendations. The appearance was a nice light yet hazy golden yellow/amber colored looking body with a one finger white foamy head that dies into the body within about thirty seconds. No lacing whatsoever. The aroma has one of the best parts of this beer and I absolutely love this (unsure how close this is truly to its style), but I get some juniper berries coming through in a earthy sort of way and I do get the cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and black pepper all coming through in a super nice way. The taste is spicy sweet through the previously mentioned flavors, I have to admit I do get the German yeastiness in the taste though I didnít notice it in the smell - still good; sticky sweet yet somewhat spicy aftertaste; dry sweet yet spicy finish. On the palate, she sits about a light to medium, ABV really isnít noticed, sessionable - hmmm...maybe slightly, carbonation is really smooth - I like it, but my lack of having "sahtis" doesnít say enough for me to tell you how good this is for its style, sorry, Iíll try to find more as I can. Overall, what an awesome brew I got in a trade, holy moley, well done Dogfish Head and will definitely look for this again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
alcamp99 (72) - McKinney, Texas, USA - JUN 6, 2014
Almost bready aroma with thin creamy head. Medium body reminiscent of a Belgian ale. Does not taste like a high ETOH brew (9%). ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DMBFAN1 (12) - - AUG 31, 2014
Not my normal beer. Great change of pace. Perfect flavor aroma texture, etc. don't need to have again any time soon but nice chai tea flavored ale. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bfeldmann (1049) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - APR 15, 2009
Post 75 mile MS bike to the bay on draft. Poured a cloudy orange color. Aroma was much like a wit, lots yeast, coriander and citrus. Flavor was much the same not sure what the dominate spices was. Full body.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Rciesla (5499) - Exit 15W, New Jersey, USA - JUL 14, 2009
UPDATED: AUG 1, 2009 Bottle 750ml pours a golden body with an off white head. Sweet clove and tea with a spicy pepper body with more tea and lighter fruit character. Wow this got me bent and i loved every bit of it. Highly underrated.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MereLikesBeer (195) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - JUL 22, 2009
So, Iíve finally gotten to my 100th beer! I decided to go with something a little special, something a little out of the ordinary, so I went with this tasty beverage. I am sharing a bottle of this with BeerBaron617, my bestest drinking buddy, and letís just say we arenít disappointed! It poured a really pretty light amber color with virtually no head, but the ring of bubbles around the top of the liquid is definitely white. Aroma, well, the brewer suggests that the spice is quite subtle and itís quite the opposite - very spicy, especially cardamom. It reminds me a little of some cookies my mom makes a Christmas time (spicy cardamom triangles). It also has quite a refreshing quality to the aroma. Taste, is also quite spicy, especially as the beer warms. Itís malty, but not overly so...has a bit of a hop background, but really the tea and spice characteristics of this beer are overwhelmingly prominent. Cheers to Dogfish Head for brewing yet another wonderful beverage. They really know what theyíre doing over there :)