Dogfish Head Three Floyds Poppaskull

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 156   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.49   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Ale brewed with cardamom and 35% aged in oak brandy barrels.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
thetomG (246) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 6, 2011
Clear light yellow/golden color. Nice layer of white foamy head. Aroma is a bit funky, but the flavor is much more enjoyable. Some nice peppery/spicy notes really shine through here. Maybe slightly more syrupy then I’d prefer, but not too bad. Definitely very drinkable. Recommended.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
soccer290 (225) - Highland Park, Illinois, USA - JAN 31, 2011
25.4 oz bottle. Two of my famous breweries combined for one beer, although I’m a little puzzled by the other ratings low numbers.. Pours a hazy yellow-golden color with a tiny white head that dissipates immediately. Smells of brandy, a lot of dried fruits, what I’m guessing is cardamom, and an alcohol aroma. Tastes of dried fruits (grapes), some brandy hints, with a bit of an alcohol warming to it near the end. Got some bite to it, but reminds me of a wine, not a beer. Not bad, though I understand the lower ratings.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Shaftie (218) - , Maryland, USA - MAY 4, 2011
Bottle shared by markwise, danka. Unique in flavor this wasn’t as hearty as I was expecting given the ABV and the belgian nature. Has a lot of stuff going on and I’d imagine it’d age well. Thumbs up.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
coharahawk (170) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 25, 2011
Tap at Roman’s. Pours clear/golden. Aroma is slightly astringent, reminds of mouthwash or Vick’s or something. Flavor is not too far off, but more reminiscent of black licorice/anise. Not a huge fan of this one, although this was a cool idea.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
jameswolfe (159) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - DEC 26, 2010
My least favorite fff ever. I liked the aroma and this is a very different beer. But it has a powerful taste that I just found as "Off"

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
HoppyAlesToYou (157) - Saint John, Indiana, USA - NOV 19, 2010
Overly cardamom on the nose, which masks any other scents. A sip does reveal the slight brandy and sweet funky Belgian yeast notes, but it is all muted by the damn cardamom. Perhaps some age would help, but I’m not willing to gamble.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
trumpetskid (106) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 19, 2012
pours golden with a nice white head. Smells of sweet spice, apple pie like. Tastes sweet, and spicy, hides the alcohol well

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
efdejesus (93) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - NOV 26, 2010
Very interesting beer. Can taste the belgian funk. Finishes with an intense sweetness that is definitely different.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
swenocha (81) - Franklin, Tennessee, USA - JAN 16, 2011
Picked up a 750ml at Friendly Package on my Thanksgiving trip to Muncie. Friendly Package guys know I usually pick up FFF beers and grabbed it from the back for me before they even put it on the shelves! Sweet! Pour is straw with a touch of amber. Small white head dissipates into a thin layer that sticks around. Aroma is mostly ginger... maybe a bit of the oak. Flavor is also ginger... Reminds me of a tamer version of Panagea (which was just too ginger for me). Slight bitter bite, some spice from the Belgian yeast, and not a lot of contribution from the oak barrelling IMHO... maybe a touch of vanilla. Some fruit (pear?) comes through after you get beyond the original ginger flavor. Not my favorite style, but very, very good. Glad I picked it up.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 15/20
storminorman (78) - Arizona, USA - OCT 1, 2011
Light yellow color with little head. Not mouth depth. The flavor is short lived. Nice light beer on a hot day.