Dogfish Head Three Floyds Poppaskull

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 155   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.49   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Ale brewed with cardamom and 35% aged in oak brandy barrels.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
bdigital (658) - Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA - DEC 4, 2010
Pours a bright gold...nose is heavy on the cardomom, sugar and a bit of oak. Slick, overly sweet palate...flavor is slightly herbal, candy sugar and toasted malt. Eh.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
mcmd (310) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - DEC 11, 2010
pours a clear golden orange. Aroma is juniper, some sort of spice, and lots of alcohol. Taste is sweet malt, Christmas spices which I assume is the cardamom, and alcohol again comes through. I really didn’t like this

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
GT2 (8283) - San Diego County, California, USA - JAN 10, 2011
750mL courtesy of CaptainCougar. Pours a slightly hazy yellow with a healthy, white head with good retention and very nice lace. In my notes I have here, "Smells like Christmas bullshit." I’m going to interpret that as wrapping paper, plastic, Christmas tree pine, and attic cedar. There are also notes of mint, lemon, spicy tamarind candies, and something odd that has been replaced by: "Christmas bullshit." The taste is mint, big alcohol, big sugary sweetness. Pretty much an under attenuated mess. Herbal spices try to restrain 9.5% abv and big candi unfermentables. Diabetic bomb.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
jameswolfe (159) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - DEC 26, 2010
My least favorite fff ever. I liked the aroma and this is a very different beer. But it has a powerful taste that I just found as "Off"

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Nellie (349) - Dallas, Texas, USA - DEC 26, 2010
What the hell? This smells totally like Iranian cardamom tea. Too bad it tastes so hoppy that it makes me frown and grimace and punch a baby. Way too hoppy.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
EricE (1368) - Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - JAN 8, 2011
Pale straw colored pour with a fluffy white head. Cardamom dominates the nose with some citrus and cereal. Very dry and bitter. Spicy cardamom. Alcohol on the end. Not much going on besides the spice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Pastor (796) - Skowhegan, Maine, USA - APR 23, 2011
Split with friends we pored the bottle into snifters and were greeted with a two finger white head that stuck around this was perched on top of a golden yellow bodied brew. The nose was sweet and spicy and it was nice enough that you enjoyed it every time you brought it to your nose. The flavor was a little bit of a mess. There is just a lot going on spices and sweet brandy sugars’. I remember thinking "Wow were is this beer going". It had a good body with ample carbonation. I must say I was a little disappointed with the collaboration between two of my favorite brewers but I do hope the collaborate on another one Serving type: bottle

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
egajdzis (5275) - Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 6, 2011
Hazy golden color with a medium sized, white head that left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of cardamom, vanilla, honey, brandy, and alcohol. Taste of a ton more cardamom, vanilla, honey, and alcohol. The cardamom really killed this for me.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
17thfloor (2429) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 18, 2010
UPDATED: NOV 22, 2010 Draft. Overwhelming cardamom aroma. Mouth drying amounts of cardamom outlast the cloying sweetness, vanilla, dough, difficult to put down for me. Not really my type of beer. I’m very curious as to what the unblended barrel aged part taste like.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
jrallen34 (3478) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 30, 2011
On tap at On Photon...Clear darkish gold, an off white head with good retention...The aroma is horrendous, eucalyptus, medicine, lotion, just garbage, makes me want to gag and not even want to taste. Way to strong and not balanced...The taste is not as bad, loses most of those terrible notes but still not great. Sweet sugar with lotion notes, like I put lotion on my hands and put my finger in my mouth too soon. This should be skipped, no reason to try.