Dogfish Head Tweason’Ale

overall
Serve in Shaker, Tumbler

RATINGS: 504   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.6   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Tweason’ale is a beer we brewed on the cusp of summer. It is a gluten-free sorghum based beer brewed with fresh strawberries from our friends at Fifer Orchards near Dover, Delaware. For the sorghum, we sourced a dark, sweet, syrup with notes of molasses and pit-fruit. We also used a a dark buckwheat honey with a beautiful hay-like, earthy-malty thing that we felt added the final touch to this Tweason’ale recipe.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
chinchill (3118) - South Carolina, USA - AUG 20, 2015
From a 12oz bottle. Looks great, including a very durable bone colored head. Smells promising but the somewhat weird flavor doesn’t follow, especially in the finish and aftertaste. Still, this is a flavorful and interesting gluten free ale.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
altonbrownd (3943) - Chevy Chase, Maryland, USA - AUG 20, 2015
Bottle from Chevy Chase Supermarket. Golden body with slight head. Nose is strawberries, sweet. Taste is fruity, floral, malts. Sweet, syrupy texture. Okay. Not great.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
tightslice (465) - Redwood City, California, USA - AUG 15, 2015
Bottle from Whole Foods Market in Redwood City, CA. Aroma is turned strawberries, yeast/mold, some wood, maybe dried apricots. Taste is hay, flowers, some earthy dryness, a little honey/malt too, but unfortunately very little strawberry. High carbonation. Reminded me of a cider or mead and if you go in with that expectation, I think you’ll be alright.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Msdrbeat (88) - - AUG 8, 2015
Smells delightful. Tastes not so great. From bottle. Tastes flat. Not like beer. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Dorkenstein (142) - - AUG 7, 2015
Big strawberry jam aroma with the honey too. Taste is cantaloupe initially followed by the grain and ending with strawberry.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Japalo (1488) - DENMARK - AUG 2, 2015
Bottle@freedom of the SEA. Three finger head. Spicy herbal. Buckwheat honey yes that rules this brew. Dry. Fine complex. I will come back. 3.7

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Brewhemia (74) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUL 25, 2015
I lile the pretty orange color this beer has. The aroma is unusual. Grape, bubblegum and dough. Smells like wine and candy. Taste resembles that of red sparkling wines to me. I actually think its quite good, except for some bittering taste that lingers. I like the sweeetness with a taste of grapes, though a sourness and the bitterness dominates. All in all the taste is not balanced and that impression stays on. Medium to high carbonation. I love that Dogfish does beers like this, in this case a style of beer original to the continent of Africa to my knowledge, but in regard to the taste, this leaves less of a good image than other great beers they have made.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Nuffield (3858) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JUL 16, 2015
I’ll say "pah!" to all the naysayers and although I can see some glaring faults, this is a fun beer experience. Orange, golden color, clear. Caramel, wood, vinyl and alcohol on the nose. Intriguing flavors with a funky honey, floral note and fruits that doesn’t unequivocally shout "strawberry". I find the sweetness to be reasonably restrained. Alcohol remains noticeable. Worth trying. Bottle.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
TheSilentSaint (98) - Ohio, USA - MAY 13, 2015
Pours light Amber with almost no head. Too sweet for my palate. Tastes like a cider. Smells and tastes yeast. You can give it a pass! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Geokkjer (6679) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - MAY 13, 2015
Bottle. Pours golden with an off-white head. Aroma of malt, some floral notes, spices, some mint and fruitiness. Flavor is sweet and malty with some floral notes, yeast, spices, mint and grains. Medium body, average carbonation.