overall
Serve in Shaker, Tumbler

RATINGS: 471   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.58   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Tweason’ale is a beer we brewed on the cusp of summer. It is a gluten-free sorghum based beer brewed with fresh strawberries from our friends at Fifer Orchards near Dover, Delaware. For the sorghum, we sourced a dark, sweet, syrup with notes of molasses and pit-fruit. We also used a a dark buckwheat honey with a beautiful hay-like, earthy-malty thing that we felt added the final touch to this Tweason’ale recipe.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
subs (14) - - MAR 27, 2012
Bottled. Strawberry aroma, light beer pours with a small head. Has a bitter type taste with a little bit of honey.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Quasimodo (217) - chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 27, 2012
Some nice strawberry in the nose but not much in the flavor. Thin body. Dry and a little tart. Very light drinking beer.I don’t think it’s as awful as some of the reviews here suggest, but I can’t say I like it enough to buy it again.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
jmagnus87 (2438) - Rockford, Illinois, USA - MAR 26, 2012
12oz bottle poured into a shaker. Pours a clear gold with a half finger of white head. Aroma of strawberry cough syrup with a hint of honey. Taste is light sour. Medicinal strawberries with something weird in the aftertaste. Could be the sorghum... Light bodied with a thin texture. Fizzy carbonation and not much of a finish. Overall, I’m not really diggin this beer. It’s not bad enough to pour out but it is nothing I would buy again. DFH, please retire this one!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
moocow9386 (37) - New Haven, Connecticut, USA - MAR 26, 2012
12 oz. bottle. Pours a clear amber/copper with a small amount of off white head that disappears quickly with little or no lacing. The aroma is actually pretty subdued; there is only a small hint of tart strawberries with some honey and grass notes. There is even less strawberry in the flavor. There is some tartness, but it seems to be dominated by the sorghum grassiness. The taste is actually a bit offensive, but the beer got slightly more drinkable over time. I enjoyed the momentary tartness, but the finish was also pretty watery. This is probably because there were really no malts or hops to speak of; the taste is so heavily constituted of the soghum and buckwheat. This was my first experience with a gluten-free beer and is certainly not something I would go out of my way to buy again.

1.4
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 4/20
arminjewell (6293) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAR 25, 2012
Pour out of bottle is clear yellow, thin fizzy white head. Aroma is bleach, some odd chemicals with some sweaty socks, a hint of strawberry and slight honey as well. Taste is some odd honey and strawberry notes, with some very odd chemically middle and what is a recurrent bleach phenomenon, very sweet and unappetizing finish. Not good, even gluten free this should taste better.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
pari6819 (55) - Florida, USA - MAR 25, 2012
Lots of strawberry on this one. It initially was very medicinal in its first taste, but it settled down as I went along. It wasn’t absolutely terrible, but then again it was not spectacular. I could not finish my bottle, I felt the need to move on.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
drowland (6083) - Valdosta, Georgia, USA - MAR 24, 2012
3/24/12. 12oz bottle. Clear copper pour, almost orange... it kinda reminds me of Jello. There’s a small khaki head that’s gone instantly - barely a film, and no lacing. I had a 100% buckwheat mead recently, which was... interesting, so let’s see how this goes. Slightly fruity aroma with molasses and... medicine. Almost astrigent, and slightly sour. Weird conglomoration of flavors... medicine, sour milk, fruitiness, and a weird, lingering flavor of sour hay and malt. My my... if you need gluten free drinks, quit drinking or drink cider. This is awful. I’m not going to finish it, and I have another bottle. Thankfully I split the 4-pack with someone else.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Aml42000 (622) - Washington, USA - MAR 24, 2012
Clear orange with a pink hue. The strawberries are heavy on the nose. The palate is a lively balance of effervescence and slightly sweet honey. Light bodied with a medium finish. Not sure what other raters were looking for from a gluten free fruit beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
SSSteve (3788) - - MAR 24, 2012
bottle. orange with a slight pink hue and a small white head. strawberry in the nose with strong medicinal notes. flavors of strawberry, bitter-unsweet malt and a used up piece of spearmint gum. abv astringency and phenols in the finish. the strawberry is it’s best characteristic. light body. i’ve had better gluten-free beers.

1.1
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
Ernest (6264) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - MAR 23, 2012
Bottle. Head is initially small, fizzy/frothy, white, mostly diminishing. Body is light to medium amber. Aroma is lightly malty (grain, cereal, husks), with notes of airplane glue, ammonia, burnt plastic, bile/vomit, honey, and strawberry. Flavor is moderately sweet, lightly to moderately acidic, lightly bitter. Finish is lightly sweet, lightly to moderately acidic, lightly to moderately bitter, unclean. Light to medium body, watery texture, fizzy carbonation. Goddamn, what the fuck?! What an abomination. Holy crap...things like this make me wonder how brewers let stuff like this go out on shelves. This is not quite as ammonia-rich as those two Crispin ciders I had, but it’s strong and disgusting, and chemical-rich in many other ways. Sure, most G-F beers suck pretty hard, but this is honestly one of the worst. The attempt at covering up the train wreck of chemicals with honey and strawberry kind of makes things worse, providing a vomit-like odor as a backdrop to the higher alcohols and disturbing phenols. I’m not exactly a fanboy of DFH, but I certainly expected a lot better than this. A certified drain pour with a middle finger flipped at the empty bottle.