overall

RATINGS: 508   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.57   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
The idea for this beer germinated way back in 2003 when the three guys (Sam from Dogfish, Greg from Stone and Bill from Victory) formed the BUFF alliance (Brewers United for Freedom of Flavor) - a noble endeavor with the goal to highlight the passion and camaraderie of the American craft brew movement.
So, BUFF didnít really do anything (beyond talk a lot of talk) until 2010 when the three brewers finally got together to jointly brew at beer at the Stone Brewery. Saison du BUFF will first be brewed at Stone and then replicated at each of the other two breweries - same recipe, same ingredients, three different breweries throughout 2010.
Plans call for Saison du BUFF to be a 6% alc/vol Saison brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. This beer will be brewed three times, once at each brewery using the same recipe. The expected release dates for each brew are as follows:

h2o4u2 (11) - jacksonville, Florida, USA - APR 13, 2012
This is a fantastic beer! I was expecting to be overwhelmed by herbs, but to my surprise I was met with a slightly hoppy palate with a note of parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. This is a really good beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
matty (204) - Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 10, 2010
12 oz bottle. Poured with a fairly thick head that slowly dissipated. Very little lacing down the glass. Gold in color. Very strong yet pleasant aroma - herbal. Light mouthfeel with a slight dry finish. Herbal flavor with something that I canít put my finger on. Very good, will try to get again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
dwyerpg (4579) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 9, 2014
I really liked this. A nice light flavor that is both floral and herbal. It has a great zest to it. And cheap to be coming from these brewers, which makes it quite sessionable.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
AJofDenver (71) - Colorado, USA - SEP 23, 2010
The appearance of this beer has a pale golden color, the head is frothy and white. The aroma of the beer starts sweet and then ends with a herbal resin. The taste starts with medium sweet and ends with light bitter like sour. A great beer!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Dr.Drei (24) - New York, USA - AUG 6, 2014
I poured this from a bottle into a tulip glass at home. Last week, I enjoyed it from the tap at Tap & Mallet when visiting a friend in Rochester, NY. The following is based on my experience at home with a bottled version. It pours clear. The head is not as robust as one finds in many saisons. That said, it seems well-carbonated. The aroma is not strong, with hints of citrus and phenols. The bitterness is light to medium, but there is a fruitiness to this beer that is characteristic of some hops as well as the saison yeast. The finish is not as dry as many saisons, having a sweeter aftertaste than many others. Overall, this is a very nice beer worthy of the attention of any fans of saisons.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
russwbeck (117) - Tyrone, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 27, 2010
I bought 2 12oz Bottles of the Dogfishhead and Stone versions of the Saison du BUFF and drank them side by side on two separate occasions. This is my review after the second tasting. Very light pour with a small 1-2 finger head, minimal lacing, but a small film remains atop the beer as you drink. Much less head and much less lacing than the Stone version. Citrus right up front, with some other herbs. I think Iím getting some rosemary. Great smell. Herbal and hoppy taste, much more smooth than the Stone version on both occasions. IMO it tastes better than the Stone. Smooth and light on the palate, much less carbonated (less punch) than Stone Final Verdict: While Victory looked and smelled better, I enjoyed the taste of DFH and while I would I would never turn either down, I would take DFH by a slim margin.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Heathen (1470) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - DEC 7, 2010
THOUGHTS: Really close to the Stone version. I think this one was a little sweeter and the aroma was a little less intensely herbal, but I think there may have been a little more in the flavor. The hops seem a little more pronounced, too. Or maybe I was just a little mored accustomed to it. TECHNICAL: Bottle. Poured an ever so slightly hazy, light to almost medium gold with fairly nice carbonation and a large, sudsy, ever so slightly off-white head that mostly diminished and left fair lacing. The aroma had light to moderate light bread, cracker and pale malt; moderate lemony hops; lighter pine hops; light to moderate funky yeast; lighter dusty hops; and a pretty good amount of herbs, but less distinguishable than the stone version, although there was definitive rosemary at the end. The initial flavor was sweet, acidic and light to moderately bitter; while the finish was lightly sweet, rather to heavily bitter and moderate to rather acidic with a long duration. There was pale malt, white bread, lemon, mixed herbs a bit of funk and some piney hops. The slightly fuller than light body was rather dry with fizzy carbonation and a rather dry and slightly metallic finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jaysonwhelpley (9) - Florida, USA - JUL 16, 2011 does not count
This is still my top beer of every one I can remember. I had the 2010 batch and was super excited when I saw this in my new-dad gift from my step father. Itís the absolute perfect summer beer. The mid level sweetness, significant hoppy bitterness, that touch of acidity that makes lemonade so quenchingÖ Iím just sad that itís so hard to find (especially in PA). The parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme are evident in it and makes it taste like a perfect summer day would. Spicy/herbal without being too much, and it plays so nicely with the hops. The haze borders on cloudy like every good Saison should and the citrus notes in my nose and on my tongue are incredible. There is a reason this has .2 points higher than any other beer that Iíve rated. I need to get my paws on more!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
S_Side_Smitty (467) - Lakeland, Florida, USA - APR 5, 2012
Pours light gold with a medium white head. The aroma is over-ripe grapefruit, yeast, and a peppery spice I canít describe (maybe thyme). Taste is absolutely beautiful! A hoppy grapefruit flavor blends almost artistically with the rosemary & sage to make something that is almost savory. This is really unique. The herbs really come out in the finish. Talk about complex and balanced. This would go great with some "home cooking". Chicken & Dumplings come to mind.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
rangerred (936) - Johnson City, Tennessee, USA - APR 11, 2012
12oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a slightly hazy deep yellow with a rocky one finger head that slowly fades. Smells yeasty and spicy. Much like a saison but with a little something extra. The spices definitely stick out. The flavor is slightly lemony at the beginning with an underlying yeastiness typical of the style. The spices is this beer become noticeable with thyme really sticking out to me. They all compliment one another, though. The finish is very dry with a touch of alcohol. Overall, what an amazing beer! I love saisons anyway but the little bit "extra" in this just puts it over the top. I picked this up on a trip to Ohio and wish I would have grabbed several more bottles.