overall

RATINGS: 2150   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.09   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
This listing encompasses: A) the November, 2001 release (18% abv), B) the November, 2003 U.S. (but not U.K.) release (18.8% abv), C) the November, 2004 release (18% abv), and D) the November 2005 release (17.8% abv) and E) all subsequent releases due both to their similarity in alcohol content and a lack of change in recipe. None of the releases’ labels provides its ABV, however:
2001 - (18%) displays the unaltered words "Vim and Vigor" on the label, gold cap
"Vim and Vigor" is crossed out only on the 2002 release (23%), which is not rated under this listing
2003 - U.S. release (18.8%). No "Vim and Vigor" present, gold cap.
2004 - Bright yellow cap, no date stamp
2005 - Bright yellow cap, date stamp
2006 - Dark green cap, date stamp
2007 - Dark green cap, date stamp
2008 - Yellowish-green cap, date stamp
World Wide Stout is one of the world’s strongest dark beers. It is brewed using six different yeast strains over seven months and then aged for half a year. Dark, rich, roasty, and complex, World Wide Stout has more in common with a fine port than a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer (released in early winter with very limited availability).

BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - FEB 12, 2004
18.8 version. The best Imerial Stout, and possibly the best beer I've ever had. Mouth watering toffee, chocolate aroma. Poured like oil with no lasting head. Bursting with chocolate, caramel, roasted nuts, coffee, and of course, alcohol. I was expecting to be laid out by the alcohol wallop, but it was only noticed at the swallow. Dangerously smooth and delicious. Sadly, at $9 for a 12oz. bottle, and being so rare, I doubt I'll taste more.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 18/20
GodsStar (3) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 11, 2004 does not count
A vender urged me to try this brew. He keyed in the high alcohol content which intrigued me. I was blown away by the effect of the brew! WOW ! The taste is a little like thinking you're going to use maple syrup on pancakes but you pour it on and it ends up being molasses. In fact, it’s a little syrupy itself. More champagne than ale, I recommend this brew for true beer lovers who enjoy a good “Kick” from their ale. This kicks ALL the Canadian “high octane” beers out of the running.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Terminus (3283) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - FEB 1, 2004
2003 18.8% bottle-Pours pitch black with very little tan head. smell of plums and roasted dark chocolate. palate is about as thick as you can get. flavors of chocolate, coffee, smoke and vodka. This beer is just to much for me. 12% imperial stouts are about the limit for me to consume.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
firemedic713 (169) - Palm Bay, Florida, USA - JAN 31, 2004
Damn: wow: Smells of dark chocolate and alcohol. Great malt presence. The beer is intensely dark with a medium tan head. The taste is richly complex ; dark chocolate, raisons, coffee, cherries, plums and liqorice. The alcohol presence was surprisingly mello. My advice: drink slowly and savor every drop.This is not a beer, this is in a barley nectar.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Blockhead (11) - USA - JAN 25, 2004
Ok, you don't know me, so my opinion is just that, another opinion. However, I will assure you that I am very well versed in beer, particularly stouts. A buddy and I got our local beer retailer to get this brew and we were quite excited. I've been waiting many years to find it, and was surprised that we were finally going to be able to try it. We paid $7 a beer (we split a case). We each went home and simultaneously took our first swig while on the phone so we could immediately compare notes. We eached swigged and there was a long silence. It's obvious that lots of time and effort went into this beer. TONS of flavor. Unfortunately, even the 18% makes one wonder if we had inadvertently picked up someone else's half-drunken beer that someone had dumped their unwanted bourbon into. Sorry fellas, the alcohol content overwhelms every good aspect of this beer. The nose is alcohol, the first taste is alcohol and the after taste is alcohol. Might as well just drink a nice scotch instead. two thumbs down. For the life of us we can't figure out what all the hype is about. Even worse than Belzebuth, which is just simplu undrinkable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Darkover (1518) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 23, 2004
2003 version: Very black with a small brown head. Aroma of alcohol and some roastiness. Flavor of sweet dark fruits and alcohol. I liked the 23% version much better.

bu11zeye (11971) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - JAN 22, 2004
(Bottle, 2003 Version) Pours a black color with a small tan head. Had a rich aroma with flavors of roasted chocolate, alcohol, and coffee. Very thick and heavy, but alcohol is covered up nicely for a 36 proof beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
crazyvin (1991) - New York, USA - JAN 22, 2004
2003 version- very dark and heavy beer! Has a rich aroma both sweet with alcohol and roasted chocolate. Taste was a mix of alcohol, coffee notes chocolate and hops. very enjoyable

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheRimmer (483) - Florida, USA - JAN 17, 2004
I was apprehensive about trying this due to the ABV. i thought it'd be too much for a beer. in a way it was. the aroma was alcohol, i got very faint malt sweetness out of it. the initial taste was incredibly sweet and filled with potent raisins. the finish i wish was more complex. it was nothing but alcohol, much like sniffing a vodka bottle, that kind of sensation. Due to its potency i really didnt find much going on, the flavors are overpowered by the intense alcohol. however i think they did a marvelous job at controlling the alcohol tastes as i was able to drink this without gagging. very port like, yet still remains very beer like. I'm still not sure where i really stand on this. If you want a decent buzz, drink one of these.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ztrvz (218) - st paul, Minnesota, USA - JAN 16, 2004
i've wanted to try this for a while, and i had to come to FL to get it. it's, really, everything i expected and maybe more. rich, dark caramelly odor, some coffee and chocolate. initially very sweet and a tad burnt, then the bubbles start to tickle your tongue. an incredibly long complex finish assaults your palate. there's just enough bitterness to offset the sweetness. you can't really taste the alcohol, but you can feel it in your esophagus (and i could see it upsetting any ulcers one might have). i'm glad to make this #100.