RATINGS: 2182   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.09   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
This listing encompasses: A) the November, 2001 release (18% abv), B) the November, 2003 U.S. (but not U.K.) release (18.8% abv), C) the November, 2004 release (18% abv), and D) the November 2005 release (17.8% abv) and E) all subsequent releases due both to their similarity in alcohol content and a lack of change in recipe. None of the releases’ labels provides its ABV, however:
2001 - (18%) displays the unaltered words "Vim and Vigor" on the label, gold cap
"Vim and Vigor" is crossed out only on the 2002 release (23%), which is not rated under this listing
2003 - U.S. release (18.8%). No "Vim and Vigor" present, gold cap.
2004 - Bright yellow cap, no date stamp
2005 - Bright yellow cap, date stamp
2006 - Dark green cap, date stamp
2007 - Dark green cap, date stamp
2008 - Yellowish-green cap, date stamp
World Wide Stout is one of the world’s strongest dark beers. It is brewed using six different yeast strains over seven months and then aged for half a year. Dark, rich, roasty, and complex, World Wide Stout has more in common with a fine port than a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer (released in early winter with very limited availability).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
PorterPounder (6390) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - MAR 4, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 30, 2009 Rerate A bit too much sweetness this time around - still overall very solid though. Original 4.5 Just an all around, damn good stout. Black as night appearance with a tight off-white head. Sweet, licorice like aroma. Has elements of a port more than a beer. Flavor presents chocolate, chicory, licorice, and faint cherries. Mouthfeel is oh so smooth and pleasant - coats your mouth luxuriously. Gets better as it warms - a bit of nuttiness and cotton candy sweetness comes through in the finish. Worth the $7.49 a bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Aurelius (4717) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - MAR 4, 2004
Raisinette extract aroma - chocolate, fruit, vanilla and alcohol. Coffee, fruit, chocolate, tangy acidity, medium sweetness, masks the ABV extremely well. Palate was burdensome for me -- tart fruit hung around too long. This is a fine brew. I think I would have liked more hopping, but I wouldn't turn down another glass.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
johngalt1977 (3) - Slinger, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 4, 2004 does not count
Pours thick as oil making no noise as it flows into the snifter. Very, very little head allows an explosion of bouquet. Smells like a raisin cooking in a frying pan with a little rum in the bottom. Beautiful. The sip rolls across the tongue, releasing that wonderful bouquet into my mouth and out my nose. The smooth, hot flavors of raisins and very ripe plums are simply round in the mouth. Very good beer. Not one for every day, like a very fine wine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
FlacoAlto (4006) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAR 2, 2004
Vintage Bottled 2003, Sampled February 2004
Pours a deep black color and is topped by a thin brown head. Strong aromas of fruit are stirred up as I pour this beer into my glass. When I go in for a deeper smell I get a strong aroma of alcohol on top. Underneath are roasted notes, and more plummy/ figgy / fruity notes, as well as some chocolate aromas, anise, and a sweet molasses note.

The beer has a pretty thin feeling to it as it first hits the front of my tongue, as I get a full amount in my mouth the viscosity of this beer is discovered. It is thick and coating in my mouth. It is fairly sweet with some strong malt flavors. The finish is lightly hot from all of the alcohol that is packed into this beer. It has a fairly muted roast character, a chocolate character is what comes through. There is a very fruity aspect to this beer that is evocative of a roasted/ caramelized/ concentrated/ condensed fig or plum.

Definitely interesting as a concept beer, but it is too much, or perhaps not enough, to drink, except perhaps on rare occasion. It is does have well integrated flavors with no jarring characteristics, even the evident alcohol is on par with the other flavors that are found in this beer. The intense fruity character was most surprising to me, I was not expecting such concentrated fruit flavors.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Ungstrup (30953) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - FEB 25, 2004
A pitch black beer with a small dark brown disappearing head. The aroma is of rope, tar, alcohol, and raisins. The flavor is very sweet with strong notes of coffee and chocolate and hints of alcohol. It is very sweet - probably the 18% ABV, that does it. A wonderful beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DarkElf (3050) - La Jolla, California, USA - FEB 24, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 25, 2004 Exceptionally sweet and comparatively mild dark roasted malt is the overriding flavor of this beer from start to finish, with the finish being extraordinarily sweet; The initial flavor has a strong hint of dry Champagne, but that flavor quickly fades, though the mouthfeel remains to some extent; The bitterness is probably moderate, but very mild compared to the sweet maltiness; Nose is distinctly that of dry Champagne with a strong sweetness as well; Pitch black in color and opaque; Minimally carbonated with a nearly non-existant, tan head that quickly becomes merely a small ring around the inside of the glass; There is some lacing but is understandably minimal; While I'm a big (quality) Champagne fan, the initial combination of Champagne flavors and beer just doesn't quite sit right and is a slight distraction; Hides the 18=% alcohol extremely well;As much as I like sweet beers, this just might go beyond even my definition of beer, but still is irresistable

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Mads Langtved (2244) - Copenhagen K, DENMARK - FEB 24, 2004
Black as tar! Amazing! Alcoholic aroma. Raisins, very nutty. Actually it is refreshing! Quite sweet and coffeish. A great, great brew. I am really astonished by the grand complexity and flavour of this beer. GREAT!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
badgerben (4651) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - FEB 23, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 8, 2005 2003 vintage, tasted February 23, 2004 : Black body with a lasting but thin head. The nose warns of the impending flavors. Hints of chocolate and coffee are overwhelmed by the prevailing rum and pure alcohol flavors. I will hunt down another bottle to cellar and see if it matures into something great, but for right now, this is by far the most disappointing beer I’ve ever had. I’m not sure how others found complexity, but it struck me as a boring stout ramped up in alcohol content. Re-Rate, December 8, 2005: I got another bottle of 2003 WWS to finally try again, now that my palate has experienced a wider array (especially Impy stouts) and I had hoped this would save this beer for me. Sadly, no. It was just as plain. Alcoholic malt that’s not as sour as a malt liquor. Same score as before, except palate went up by one. Depressing.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ARMed (622) - Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 20, 2004
To me this is not a beer! This is a port wine stout! The problem with this beer is that is has no head. This is actually starting to grow on me. very warming. It is perfect on a witner's night in front of the fireplace.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Baroque1977 (25) - Southeastern, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 16, 2004
Great beer, hides the 18.8% ABV very well... But, at $9 a bottle where I live, a tad bit overpriced, when I can get a six pack of Victory Storm King for $9!