overall

RATINGS: 2137   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.09   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
This listing encompasses: A) the November, 2001 release (18% abv), B) the November, 2003 U.S. (but not U.K.) release (18.8% abv), C) the November, 2004 release (18% abv), and D) the November 2005 release (17.8% abv) and E) all subsequent releases due both to their similarity in alcohol content and a lack of change in recipe. None of the releases’ labels provides its ABV, however:
2001 - (18%) displays the unaltered words "Vim and Vigor" on the label, gold cap
"Vim and Vigor" is crossed out only on the 2002 release (23%), which is not rated under this listing
2003 - U.S. release (18.8%). No "Vim and Vigor" present, gold cap.
2004 - Bright yellow cap, no date stamp
2005 - Bright yellow cap, date stamp
2006 - Dark green cap, date stamp
2007 - Dark green cap, date stamp
2008 - Yellowish-green cap, date stamp
World Wide Stout is one of the world’s strongest dark beers. It is brewed using six different yeast strains over seven months and then aged for half a year. Dark, rich, roasty, and complex, World Wide Stout has more in common with a fine port than a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer (released in early winter with very limited availability).

aracauna (3114) - Georgia, USA - NOV 19, 2002
<P>Imperial Stout Blind Tasting notes (11-16-02): The aroma is loads of alcohol. Roasty, some chocolate, talcom powder/chalkiness. Pretty much same flavors as aromas, but slightly more burnt. Less creamy but not too thin. A little sweeter than most but not too sweet. <P>It pours with a nice easy head. The head starts out really foamy, but gradually developes pock marks at the larger bubble burst. The beer is black. I held this beer up to the sun and it only got darker. Nose: caramel, chocalate and a hint of coffee. Flavor, Sweet, sweet, caramel, chocolate and I pick up a tiny bit of pear underneath it all (one of the yest strains perhaps?). Hazelnut? Actually comes across very cappuccino-like. I actually had to dock it a point for being a too sweet and too rich. Mouthfeel very creamy. This heavy sweet beer is not something you’re going to want to chug or drink on a really full stomach. But being as strong as it is, you don’t need to be drinking much of the stuff anyway, you stupid drunkard. Thanks austinpowers.

Racegoer (353) - Indiana, Indiana, USA - NOV 15, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 22, 2003 Deep, Dark. not a light shown thru, I drove a hundred miles for 4 of them.Rich, malty, thick,flavours of coffee, alcohol,and extremely complex, and a pure pleasure, 18%ABV is quite hidden, so good I had to light a Punch Punch Cuban cigar,exceptional, spectacular, nothing less than the best,a cost of $8 a 12 oz. bottle and worth much more than that.True Winner here, Absolutely Recommended, search and destroy !!!! Let us all Hail the KING of Stouts, finally my first perfect score of 5</> .

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Jayb0 (1042) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - NOV 15, 2002
BOTTLE: Fun once but I wouldn’t get this a second time. Not really well balanced imho, too much alcohol presence and an aftertaste. Get the raison d’extra as an execllent alternative

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
VA Homebrewer (525) - Portsmouth, Virginia, USA - NOV 15, 2002
2001: Pretty darn amazing and - as always from DFH - unique. Needless to say, everything about this beer is HUGE; Huge alcohol, huge malt, huge aroma, huge long aftertaste. Alcohol is readily apparent on the nose, but there are enough dark fruit and tobacco aromas to mitigate the alcohol. Same applies to the flavor profile. Intensely malty and sweet, it is nearly cloying in the finish (my only real complaint). Dark fruit, dark chocolate and a thousand other flavors to decipher. Pleasant - especially if it were a cold winter night and you were sitting by the fireplace with a good book.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - NOV 13, 2002
A velvet shroud was placed over my head...a soft and gentle thud, then.....nothing. I awoke hours later, not knowing where.... Pitch black, but blood red around the very edges. Velvet smooth, thick, luxuriously sweet malts - more of a dark fruit taste (fig,plum) than of coffee. Virtually no hint of alcohol in the taste - compared it with Expedition in the same session. This one will force you to re-examine your comprehension of ’STOUT’.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
phillymonksman (60) - Ardmore, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 12, 2002
UPDATED: APR 2, 2003 This beer was too intense for me! This is not my style of beer. I hated the taste. Updated 11/12/02 I'm going to have another and give more information. Re-rated 4/2/03: I finally got back to this beer. Very dark beer that looks like motor oil. Smells like a strong wine, with the expectation that this is going to be an intense very high alcohol beer. Palate feels very nice and smooth. I'm shocked at this from memories of the first time I tried this beer. Room temperature brings out flavors I've never tasted. Fruity sour apple, sugary taste. The chocolate winey flavor explodes in my mouth. There is a sour and bitter bitting taste that I'm shocked to say I'm enjoying. Warm intense feeling after-ward.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
CrimsonGhost1971 (188) - USA - NOV 8, 2002
This is one kick ass stout. It’s like a party of flavors headbanging in my mouth. Sweet, raisin, java, oh what flavor! The alcohol is hidden real well. A true favorite. ;)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
hopnpop (69) - Wexford, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 8, 2002
Update: Sorry folks, I neglected to put a 10 in for flavor when rating! Feeling a quart low, I picked up a case of this black gold. Actually, I had ordered the 2002 batch about three weeks ago & was anxiously awaiting its arrival. This is some heavy duty brew here! Upon pouring, one quickly discovers this beer is opaque to say the least. Surprisingly, there was a tiny bit of head. The aroma of this beer is sweet, fruity and alcoholic. Tasting this beer is a heavenly experience! Coffee, roasted malt, fig & raisin immediately come to mind. The complexity of this beer is amazing. Eventual numbness of tongue, lips & brain is quickly inevitable. This is a brew for special occasions & would nicely complement a fine cigar.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
CaptainCougar (7132) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - NOV 6, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 17, 2004 2003 version sampled on 7/17/04: Pours the same thick oily dark brown with a thin dark tan head that dissipates quickly. Body is viscous enough to lightly coat the sides of the glass. Aroma is rich and sweet with plenty of caramel, some milk chocolate, plums, raisins, and even some Baltic porter-style lage yeast. Body continues with its sweetness and nice complexity, but the alcohol starts to come out in the finish with a burn. Not as good as the 2001 version, but perhaps it needs some time to age. Still a quite drinkable monster of a beer... 2001 version sampled on 11/6/02: Pours like oil with a rich beige head of the same viscosity. The aroma is sweet, malty and thick with hints of coffee and dark chocolate. Syrupy, roasted malty undertones dominate the palate. The foam coats the side of the glass as I tilt it toward my mouth in an attempt to avoid the inevitable. This is an incredibly well-balanced brew which only gets better as it warms. This is the best job of masking alcohol that I have ever had. Oh...and I'm not kidding when I say I'm driving to Delaware this weekend to pick up a case.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
NDmullet (208) - South Bend, Indiana, USA - NOV 6, 2002
I figure the bottle is around one year old, considering they release this in early November. Split into two separate chalices, an aggresive pour yielded a bit of head. My first impression is it smells like a refined version of Sam Adams Triple Bock (although such a comparison is an insult): soy, molasses, and alcohol. It sticks to the glass like no other beer I’ve had. Absolutely delicious sweet, choclate-y malt dominates. When cooler, the finish is a bit smoky and astringent, but as it reaches room temperature...maybe one of the best lingering aftertastes around. Not to mention how they mask all that EtOH?! Gets better with every sip. Outstanding. An ideal brew for my 150th.