overall

RATINGS: 2191   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.09/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
This listing encompasses: A) the November, 2001 release (18% abv), B) the November, 2003 U.S. (but not U.K.) release (18.8% abv), C) the November, 2004 release (18% abv), and D) the November 2005 release (17.8% abv) and E) all subsequent releases due both to their similarity in alcohol content and a lack of change in recipe. None of the releases’ labels provides its ABV, however:
2001 - (18%) displays the unaltered words "Vim and Vigor" on the label, gold cap
"Vim and Vigor" is crossed out only on the 2002 release (23%), which is not rated under this listing
2003 - U.S. release (18.8%). No "Vim and Vigor" present, gold cap.
2004 - Bright yellow cap, no date stamp
2005 - Bright yellow cap, date stamp
2006 - Dark green cap, date stamp
2007 - Dark green cap, date stamp
2008 - Yellowish-green cap, date stamp
World Wide Stout is one of the world’s strongest dark beers. It is brewed using six different yeast strains over seven months and then aged for half a year. Dark, rich, roasty, and complex, World Wide Stout has more in common with a fine port than a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer (released in early winter with very limited availability).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MartinT (8855) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 25, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 20, 2006 2001 : The Horned King of the Underworld today welcomed his lifelong adversaries for a meeting at the summit of his infernal depths...All around the round table sat erect and proud behemoths of their own world...Of course, a friendly alcohol fire reigned throughout this grandiose moment and surrounded every one of its godly participants with warmth and yet, subtlety...A temperamental, colossal chocolate Zeus laughed shoulder to shoulder with a hyperbolic vanilla Osiris...At the back I beheld the somnolent presence of a sweet Buddha, struggling to withstand his powerful, creamy girth...Even the dreaded cigar-smoking Mahomet was commingling with a secretive, raisiny Yahve...A discussion in which, need I say, sultry dark fruit flew about...Dionysos, special caterer of this magnificent soirée, had obviously cooked up quite a heterogenous feast...Red meat and wild desserts in abundance as well as fountains of a viscous, dark wine, in which I gluttonously partook and, I think, which distorted somewhat of my visions of this evening...oh well...I, witness to all this, could not help but bask in the wondrous ingredients of this bacchanalia...All of these richest discussions and most sumptuous foods were, to me, dwelling in my very chalice...I was dining with divinity...A thousand bows to hopsrus for giving me a ticket to this dinner of dinners...4.7/5...

2003 : Chocolate drooping due to the whiskyish alcohol...Thinner than the 2001 and so less creamy...3.6/5...

2004 was as classy and flavorful as the first, with a surprising head of foam for its massive girth...An incredible sipping specimen...4.3/5

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
YogiBeera (2554) - New Jersey, USA - NOV 25, 2002
Whoever thinks that’s not a good beer, has something wrong with his tongue!!! Wonderful chocolate malt aroma, reminds me of Jaegermeister. Black! Wonderful smooth fullmouth chocolate taste. Great!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
beerisyummy99 (1) - New Jersey, USA - NOV 24, 2002 does not count
This beer had an incredibly overbearing alcohol taste. It smelled very appetizing and looked like a fine stout, but reared it’s ugly head once it hit the tongue. I don’t understand how anyone could think the alcoholic taste is "hidden", "masked", or even subtle. This stuff tasted very similar to the Manishewitz we’re forced to drink at Passover. The overwhelming wine taste leaves much to be desired and leave the drinker wondering what possessed him to spend $6.50 (US) on an awful tasting bottle of super-caloried (660 in a 12 oz.) beer. It’s far too sweet and the aftertaste lingers much too long. If I just want to drink something that’ll get me smashed for cheap, I’ll stick with Olde English or St. Ides.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jpknight22 (171) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - NOV 22, 2002
The most masterful beer I have experienced. Very rich with a nice, sweet roasted flavor that hides the alcohol better than you could ever imagine. I tried this nearly back to back with Stone Imperial Stout, and the Stone had a stronger alcohol flavor than the Dogfish Head, with half the alcohol. One of my favorites! Thanks to hopsrus for the trade...

aracauna (3356) - Georgia, USA - NOV 19, 2002
<P>Imperial Stout Blind Tasting notes (11-16-02): The aroma is loads of alcohol. Roasty, some chocolate, talcom powder/chalkiness. Pretty much same flavors as aromas, but slightly more burnt. Less creamy but not too thin. A little sweeter than most but not too sweet. <P>It pours with a nice easy head. The head starts out really foamy, but gradually developes pock marks at the larger bubble burst. The beer is black. I held this beer up to the sun and it only got darker. Nose: caramel, chocalate and a hint of coffee. Flavor, Sweet, sweet, caramel, chocolate and I pick up a tiny bit of pear underneath it all (one of the yest strains perhaps?). Hazelnut? Actually comes across very cappuccino-like. I actually had to dock it a point for being a too sweet and too rich. Mouthfeel very creamy. This heavy sweet beer is not something you’re going to want to chug or drink on a really full stomach. But being as strong as it is, you don’t need to be drinking much of the stuff anyway, you stupid drunkard. Thanks austinpowers.

Racegoer (354) - Indiana, Indiana, USA - NOV 15, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 22, 2003 Deep, Dark. not a light shown thru, I drove a hundred miles for 4 of them.Rich, malty, thick,flavours of coffee, alcohol,and extremely complex, and a pure pleasure, 18%ABV is quite hidden, so good I had to light a Punch Punch Cuban cigar,exceptional, spectacular, nothing less than the best,a cost of $8 a 12 oz. bottle and worth much more than that.True Winner here, Absolutely Recommended, search and destroy !!!! Let us all Hail the KING of Stouts, finally my first perfect score of 5</> .

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Jayb0 (1122) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - NOV 15, 2002
BOTTLE: Fun once but I wouldn’t get this a second time. Not really well balanced imho, too much alcohol presence and an aftertaste. Get the raison d’extra as an execllent alternative

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
VA Homebrewer (525) - Portsmouth, Virginia, USA - NOV 15, 2002
2001: Pretty darn amazing and - as always from DFH - unique. Needless to say, everything about this beer is HUGE; Huge alcohol, huge malt, huge aroma, huge long aftertaste. Alcohol is readily apparent on the nose, but there are enough dark fruit and tobacco aromas to mitigate the alcohol. Same applies to the flavor profile. Intensely malty and sweet, it is nearly cloying in the finish (my only real complaint). Dark fruit, dark chocolate and a thousand other flavors to decipher. Pleasant - especially if it were a cold winter night and you were sitting by the fireplace with a good book.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - NOV 13, 2002
A velvet shroud was placed over my head...a soft and gentle thud, then.....nothing. I awoke hours later, not knowing where.... Pitch black, but blood red around the very edges. Velvet smooth, thick, luxuriously sweet malts - more of a dark fruit taste (fig,plum) than of coffee. Virtually no hint of alcohol in the taste - compared it with Expedition in the same session. This one will force you to re-examine your comprehension of ’STOUT’.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
phillymonksman (60) - Ardmore, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 12, 2002
UPDATED: APR 2, 2003 This beer was too intense for me! This is not my style of beer. I hated the taste. Updated 11/12/02 I'm going to have another and give more information. Re-rated 4/2/03: I finally got back to this beer. Very dark beer that looks like motor oil. Smells like a strong wine, with the expectation that this is going to be an intense very high alcohol beer. Palate feels very nice and smooth. I'm shocked at this from memories of the first time I tried this beer. Room temperature brings out flavors I've never tasted. Fruity sour apple, sugary taste. The chocolate winey flavor explodes in my mouth. There is a sour and bitter bitting taste that I'm shocked to say I'm enjoying. Warm intense feeling after-ward.