Dogfish Head World Wide Stout 2002 (23%)

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 386   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 690   ABV: 23%
This listing encompasses the November, 2002 release (23% abv). This release can be identified by the use of black ink to cross out the words "Vim and Vigor" printed on the label.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
jaymobrown (1676) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 9, 2002
Super thick and dark, it stains the side of the glass brown. Absolutely no head. The alcohol really gets pushed through here. Plums, raisins, thick malts, caramel, and dark roasted wooded flavors. The alcohol is so dominant though. As the beer warms it jumps out and controls everything. Also had the pleasure to do a side-by-side sample with the 18% and the alcohol in the 23% is really powerful. Good, but watch out.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
beerdedbastard (22) - Willoughby, Ohio, USA - DEC 8, 2002
I will echo all the other "WOWs" I heard from people who have tasted this. This was a draft sample; Huge vinous nose of sweet and sour cherries and dark fruit,grapes and sweets.Huge explosion of flavor on the palate with a continuation of a cherry-port or brandy smoothness and a warming yet not overpowering(yea right!)alcohol follow-through. A crisp,fine carbonation.Huge residual sugars evident in a brandy-like coating of the glass,post sip. Aromas and flavors intensify as it warms. NOT meant to be served too cold. Its an awesome experience. Not for the un-suspecting user(I can only imagine "joe six-pack" getting this by mistake and pouring it out);but something to savor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JCW (1275) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 8, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 19, 2003 Drank this a cellar temperature. There was a pretty strong aroma of alcohol. It taste like combination of alcohol, malt and coffee. I"m not sure I"d call it beer, strong stuff to be sure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Suttree (5186) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - DEC 8, 2002
Drank at cellar temperature. Alcohol is apparent in the nose. It taste like, hmm - Take a quality port, mix with your favorite coffee, and add a touch of dark chocolate. Incidentally, I put the remainder back in the fridge and drank the next day (i.e. right now) and cold seems to mute some of the vinuosness and highlight the malt flavors. Non-playin grown up beer here.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Racegoer (353) - Indiana, Indiana, USA - DEC 8, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 31, 2003 12-08-02 & then updated on 2-21-03 Ok, we did a side by side by side tasting with 3 Floyds Dark Lord Imperial Stout ,WWS 18%, & WWS 23%,Insane alcohol, you can actually feel it going down,like liquid fire,coffee,cocoa, malt, lethal if taken in huge doses.I will say I thought 18% was a little bit better, only time will tell if this one improves.Vertical tasting (I have 5 bottles left) 12-31-03 its been a year since I had one of these and they have been aging in my cellar, they have mellowed nicely quite a significant change over the past year rich rudy robust coffee, chocolate covered cherries and molasses, warming and a perfect fit for the new year. and the alochol has subdued, Really I am amazed at the difference over last year's tasting, The 18% is still better and I have not yet had the 21% so I can't compare that one. Score improves from a 4.0 to the current one, can't hardly wait till next year! Recommended !

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
herbjones (742) - Orange, California, USA - DEC 7, 2002
Big huge brew. On Tap at the strong ale fest 2002.Nose is a big malty brew with so much going on. More like a port than a beer. Great brew, huge potential not for the light of heart.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
JohnC (3000) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - DEC 7, 2002
Enormous! on tap at the strong ale fest 2002. flavors of dark cherry, chocolate & port. Jet black w/ creamy mouthfeel.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
apoptosis (1317) - Denver, Colorado, USA - DEC 6, 2002
UPDATED: APR 19, 2003 How can this be called a beer? It's unbelievable how well 23% alcohol is masked, but it's equally unbelievable how much sugar must be put into the wort. Definetly for dessert. Very heavy. Brown sugar, maple and coffee - but mostly molasses. Nice, very nice. I will buy more to keep around for special occasions, and when I want to sleep really well. If only it wasn't so syrupy and heavy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
notalush (4910) - Denver, Colorado, USA - DEC 6, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 4, 2009 [had again recently - soooo sweet - why did I love this so much back in the day?] The write up on this beer that I got from my beer dist. said that a bottle of this beer was 666 calories, which is so very fitting because if Satan drank beer, this would be it. This is more of a cross between a dessert wine and a chocolate liquor, but this is a good thing. Chocolate, brown sugar, molasses, coffee, with a dominant, syrup-sweetness, combine to make this beyond any ordinary beer. My girlfriend and I bought several bottles (at 7.99 a piece, but well worth it) and made the mistake of opening a bottle a piece. I sure hope we can finish them. I’m two-thirds done, and I feel dizzy. I’ve got two more bottles, and these suckers are getting set aside to age for a very special occassion.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - DEC 5, 2002
Its a six pack in a bottle! Reminds me very much of Samichlaus, perhaps a bit thinner. Alcohol is well hidden, although seems to bring forth a warmth in your stomach. Hints of wood, chestnut, milk chocolate, molasses, roasted coffee beans and caramel. I noticed that my eyes stung with an alcoholic burn when I exhaled through my nose taking a sip....I thought it was funny. I think beers like this are sort of gimmicky and a $9 bottle of beer is a little extravagant, but its fun to try, and share with a friend.