overall

RATINGS: 923   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.57   EST. CALORIES: 183   ABV: 6.1%
Dominion Oak Barrel Stout is rich and smooth, a draught brew so popular at our Brewup that we found a way to bottle it for a wider audience. We combine seven different malts and two hops to create a delicious stout, that we dry-hop with fresh vanilla beans and toasted oak to finish our little treasure. The result is a stout that has the bourbon barrel flavor we all enjoy, and hope you will to.

Note: made with oak chips and vanilla beans, not aged in barrels. Available bottled and draft outside of the brewpub.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
waeltzy (53) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 25, 2005
Super smooth stout. Aroma was a sexy sweet vanilla with normal malty dark chocolates and warm caramel. I instantly thought "campfire". The flavor was oak and forest. I smelled a hiking trip I went on last summer. The flavor of dark chocolate and good malt balanced well with the hops. very dark color and the head cut out early but some foaminess lasted throughout the glass. Good dark lacing. I definitly liked this beer more as it warmed. I struggled to find the bourbon but i certainly tasted the vanilla. Thin when stacked up against other stouts but definitly a good brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - MAY 25, 2005
June 10th bottling, from slob. Poured dark with a huge brown head. Aroma was instant vanilla, followed by roasted chocolate and caramel. There is also the underlying oak/wood smell. Taste was nice. There was all the regular stout flavors, but there was defiantly vanilla, and the oak was a nice compliment, not over powering. The only weak rating was the mouth feel. But I may be spoiled by all the IMPís I have had. Nice. Thanks hard rocking SLOB!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
liquidcrack (45) - Ohio, USA - MAY 15, 2005
draft. very dark brown color with creamy thick head. not on my top of list of stouts. a little too much "tree" for me. not as full of a stout as my liking, to thin.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
brentfeesh (1207) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - MAY 14, 2005
A treat for me from Jamie (From the Vine), Thanks! First off, this brew improved dramatically as it warmed. At cooler temperatures I did not care for any part of it. Poured a deep tawny brown with minimal head. The aroma was thin smelling but had some sour oak, vanilla, burnt malt and caramel, and sweetness that grew on me. The first taste was a bit astringent with an overall cream soda style body. The flavors that jumped out at me were burnt malt, molasses, vanilla, and definitely wood. Not great in my opinion, but I could understand why someone might really enjoy this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 16/20
OhioDad (2493) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - MAY 12, 2005
Deep dark brown pour almost black. First a frothy tan head but it dissipates rather quickly to just a ring around the outside of the glass. The aroma is somewhat bitter coffee, licorice and roasted malt. Taste is chocolate and caramel covered oak trees with vanilla nuts growing high in the tree.. Not a full bodied stout.. Seems kind of light on the palate but quite creamy.. Maybe even a little watery. The oak flavor is fantastic in this one though. Very nice taste. The finish is smooth and leaves kind of a nice vanilla flavor in your mouth. A solid stout all in all.. Other than the palate I liked this one.. I like to chew my stouts and this one was a little watery.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
llgrgg (18) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAY 12, 2005
Bottle. Dark, Rich color with big fluffy creamy, caramel head. Nose of sweet coffee, caramel and hint of vanilla. Taste of caramel, coffee, and vanilla. I have just started the stout thing and must say.. AWESOME BEER

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Panzuriel (1362) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - MAY 7, 2005
Very dark brown Liquid with a fine light tan head. Nose of Dark roasted coffee bitters. Warming mellow coffe bitters which finish cleanly with a nice aftertaste of black coffee with maybe a hint of cream. Mouthfeel a little less full than imagined. Stil, the Mouthfeel is fluid and satin.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
mkobes (2141) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - MAY 6, 2005
Bottle. Deep dark black in color with a nice fluffy head. Roasty aroma. Chocolate and caramel notes. Hint of vanilla. Chocolate and roasty flavor. Roasty like coffee. Full bodied. Clean tasting. Smooth. Nice beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
bsawatzky (153) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 3, 2005
a decent stout. black with dark colored head. some roasty nose and flavor but nothing too complex or deep. decent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
MullMan (1099) - New Jersey, USA - APR 25, 2005
black in color and garnet at the edges. dark tan dense foamy head. aroma is roasted malt softened by cocoa and faint vanilla. light to watery mouthfeel, soft roasted malt flavor. chocolate milk too. a little vanilla extract flavor, then dry in the middle. finish is vanilla cream soda, smooth and slick.