overall

RATINGS: 875   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58   EST. CALORIES: 183   ABV: 6.1%
Dominion Oak Barrel Stout is rich and smooth, a draught brew so popular at our Brewup that we found a way to bottle it for a wider audience. We combine seven different malts and two hops to create a delicious stout, that we dry-hop with fresh vanilla beans and toasted oak to finish our little treasure. The result is a stout that has the bourbon barrel flavor we all enjoy, and hope you will to.

Note: made with oak chips and vanilla beans, not aged in barrels. Available bottled and draft outside of the brewpub.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Biggs88 (17) - Philadelphia, USA - NOV 5, 2009
UPDATED: NOV 11, 2009 This is a perfect stout every way you look at it. First off. The pour. It pours like a normal, every day stout untill you see the head. Or lack there of it. Unlike other stouts that tend to be over carbonated to give the novice beer lover the impression itís a quality stout because it has a huge head. No no no. This beer has a modest one inch head. Thats all you need. Thats all you get! The aroma is that of chocolate, smoke, vanilla, and malt with a light sweetness at the end of the smell. The taste is truely amazing. No matter WHERE you are, once this stout hits your lips and tounge, you are instantly transported to a log cabin where you are curled up next to a fire place in the middle of nowwhere with 5 feet of snow on the ground outside. I tell no lies!!!! This beer has HUGE flavor. Chocolate and vanilla undertones with the firm malty stout as the main show. Not to mention the toasted oak somewhere in the middle. I am VERY pleased with this beer. If you can, buy it and try it. There will be NO let down. I would pay $9 for just one bottle of this quality beer. But I get a SIX PACK for just $9.25!!!!!! I cannot believe the price of this. This beer is made by true beer lovers. How and WHY they sell it so cheap is beyond me. This is a Cadillac beer at a Kia price.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
thormodsrud (3) - NORWAY - SEP 24, 2013 does not count
A proper stout. Good colour, very nice aroma with a bit of spice. Little foam. Very drinkable

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
shakespeare33 (197) - Washington DC, USA - OCT 14, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 11, 2010 One of my favorite beers and I rarely get to enjoy it beause it isnt produced out West.. Went back to DC over the christmas holiday and couldnt get enough of this amazing stout.pours a deep delicious nutmeg brown with a potent hoppy smell. I am not a stout drinker but this is one exception. Hints of the oak barrel aroma billow above my tankard.. Smooth taste with dressings of vanilla bean, caramel, and bourbon overtones allows the taste to mature with each sip... The oak barrel sublteness is the icing on the cake and lifts this stout into pure perfection.. One of my all time favorites!!! Great to the last drop....

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
sfarbry (1) - USA - NOV 29, 2007 does not count
My new fave! Love the chocolate taste :) But I canít find it anywhere!! ..................................................

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 18, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 19, 2004 This was a really great stout. It poured a jet black color with a tan head. The flavor was very complex, with smoky notes, hints of coffee and vanilla, and even some chocolate. This is well worth a try and highly recommended.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
salzy (14) - USA - NOV 5, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 23, 2008 This is wonderful. I really like it as well. The cask taste with the vanilla is breath taking.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
fredjaz (112) - Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA - DEC 3, 2007
What a great brew! By far the best Virginia beer Iíve had so far. Iíd love to try it on draft. Silky smooth well balanced taste. I could and will drink this regularly.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MacDaddyOJake (274) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - MAR 6, 2006
This was a most wonderful beer. On tap at Capital Ale House (Innsbrooke). Dark black with a dark tan head. Nice lacing, and a wonderful aroma of a typical stout, but with slight vanilla and bourbon notes in it. Taste was much of the same. Im not sure I have ever enjoyed a beer as much as this one!!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Hazmatt (363) - Virginia, USA - DEC 13, 2006
Bottle. Dark brown with a short lived tan head. Aroma is robust, vanilla with hint of smoke. Excellent bourbon barrel flavor right away. Malty with heavy vanilla flavor that is itís own entity within the sweetness. Low to moderate carbonation and hop character. Very well done.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
twindog (251) - Hampstead, Maryland, USA - JUN 28, 2008
this beer is great very creamy taste color of the beer is very dark about a 2" ten head almost a buttercream linger stays on your tongue ( good beer )