overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 2460   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. íCourse thereís always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Jdawgz (1) - USA - OCT 15, 2005 does not count
This is the best beer Iíve ever had. Let me qualify that: Iíve just started trying craft beers, but of the ten or so Iíve tried so far- Yes, a pretty small amount, but so what- This was truly an eye opener. I never had a beer that tasted as complex as the 10% alcohol Double Bastard, and it almost tasted like hard liquor to me, a brandy or close to it. I canít quite describe all the flavors this brew boasted, and while it seemd like a íbig beerí to me, I certainlyt noticed the alcohol, a warm fuzzy feeling almost after the first taste, anmd then heavy malt, many other flavors, but mostly a nice alkie heat. Iíll let yíall know more as my taste buds develop. I assume thatíll happen from some of the posts yíall leave, but now I canít tell whether Iím tasting big old blackberries, or toasted somethings. I know I like it alot and that Iím about to stop drinking Baltica as my go to. This is certainly more expensive, but at 10% alkie, it translates pretty closely to the brews Iím used to. Thanks a bunch for putting me on to this kind of brew. I wouldnítía known about it unless yíall pointed me in the right direction. Aní Iím pretty trashed right about now. Much obliged.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - OCT 2, 2005
UPDATED: APR 23, 2011 3 qt 5.4 oz bottle (which is bloody huge). Pours stark ruby with a massive, persistent beige head that leaves thick, rocky lacing. The aroma contains hops, hops, hops, hops, and caramel malt. The flavor... wow. A plethora of robust caramel malt is awash in a veritable ocean of hops. As promised, this does assault the palate. Even after the swallow, it is as if the beer is still in my mouth for several minutes. This is brutal, in a good way. Wow. Just wow.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
NachlamSie (3000) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 2, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 11, 2007 giant bottle. Pours ruby red with a solid tan head. The aroma is an assault of hops with a good malty foundation. Some pine and dry fruit notes also. On the first sip I learn that this is a palate destroyer. Huge robust hop taste, great caramel tones, some dry fruit notes. This is one aggressive beer indeed. It will be quite a chore to finish this 3 quart bottle, this is one gigantic beer. (Nov. 15, í06) Split a bomber with Muenster. This is every bit as runious as I remember. Itís a giant beer with tons of biting hop attack with a flood of malt to balance things out. I detected a bit of candy apple in the finish with sweet biscuits and the aforementioned pine, citrus, caramel onslaught. Yeah, this one lives up to the smack-talk. [Dec 11, 2007] <------- of the í07. Okay, I went into this one with expectations this time. Double Bastardís sheer strength would not surprise me. This is a very good beer, itís very bold and complex. The malts provide a familiar biscuity, caramel flavor, yet also divulge into the vinous, fruity, vanilla territory. Hops are fairly strong on this one. Itís a huge beer with a lot to offer, but in the end I canít say I actually enjoy it any more than Arrogant Bastard. Of course, Arrogant Bastard itself is a delicious, well-crafted brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MikeMac (185) - Wyandotte, Michigan, USA - OCT 2, 2005
Finally got my hands on some! Pours dark brown with a ruby tint when held to light. Faint off whit to brown head that disappeared quickly. NIce carmel smell with mild cirtus raisins pine and hop aroma. Flavor had chocolate , molasses hop flavor , light cherry , and some vanilla flavors. very impressed with this brew! And the price makes it even better..

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
MrManning (2009) - Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 17, 2005
Thanks goes out to IMTHEOPTIMATOR for sending me this baby! Double Bastard makes me feel like an unworthy heathen. I bow down and beg forgiveness! I want to be worthy! Pours dark amber body with a huge off white bubbly head. Aromas are pine trees, citrus, vanilla, massive hops and caramel. Taste is srtong pine, grapefruit, molasses, vanilla, wood, and lots of hop bitterness. Wow. I could drink this all the time. Great lingering cirtus flavour. Awesome!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bethmatt0421 (337) - Covington, Kentucky, USA - SEP 10, 2005
I smelled this for five minutes trying to disect it. A very complex aroma, some hint of chocolate, maybe even vanilla,but not much. Earthy, with hints of raisin. smells a little like whiskey. Strong tastes of chocolate and hops. very lightly sweet. Very smooth palate, all the way through with just a slight tingly feeling on the tongue.Soft carbonation, Oily-creamy texture, long finish, thick bodied and it leaves a warming feeling in the chest, due to the high alcohol content. Itís one of the better looking beers sitting in the glass that Iíve seen so far.Hazy dark brown with an amber red tint, with a thin beige-white head that laces the glass. My first Stone Brew. It packs a whallop! I think itís a make or break beer due to how strong it is

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
nwbeer (3) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - SEP 8, 2005 does not count
This beer is great at any time, with food or not, with reason or not. Itís one of the Big Beautiful Beers of the beer world.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Hazmatt (363) - Virginia, USA - SEP 6, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 3, 2006 Bottle. Oh Bastard! itís so delectable. Dark brown, brown head, aroma is so involved itís hard to describe...molasses, chocolate, caramel. Bold, aggressive brew. Heavy maltiness, alcohol warming, chocolate notes, somewhat creamy, highly hopped but well balanced and very complex. Man, I hope to have this on tap one day.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
csbosox (1229) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - SEP 3, 2005
Figured it was time to drink after holding for half a year (if not more). Itís late at night, I drank some cheap wine and had a smoke, but I feel confident to make a good rating. 22oz bottle, 2004 release. I think ClarkVV sent this too me in the "stone" trade where I got 6-7 of their beers. Poured into my NB worthy glass a shade over 52į. I can smell the malt already. The color is reddish orange, almost a light brown. The head is never impressive and dies down to nothing but a few bubbles quickly. when swirled, the beer just coat the glass. The smell is like a big íol west coast barleywine, a la SN Bigfoot. The aromas are of malt, caramel, biscuts, raisins, turbino sugar, and some spice. Really nice nose. The initial taste is huge, slighty sweet caramel with some hops begging to get in, when the hops invade, they put up an epic fight with the malt. This is a Stone beer and the hops win, but the malt put up a valiant fight. The hops are floral and spicy and a bit abrasive. There is a lingering bitterness. I am not sure, but the age might have helped this beer, was it formally a DIPA? The finish is the hops and some alcohol burn, it is not bad, but I fear what will happen when this beer gets another 10į warmer...This is a big, agressive beer and I can imagine many people hating it and many people loving it, I am not in either of those camps. It is a good beer, but maybe a touch hot and abrasive without the payout another hot beer, Rochefort 10 is giving me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
xenthem0nk (101) - Oregon, USA - AUG 21, 2005
Bottle. Dark brown in the glass with 1 minute head. Although I can tell that this ale is complex and Stone are great brewers, it aint my thing. It does deserve good ratings due to its nature however, but it wont get good ratings from my taste bud preferences. The commercial description is great marketing. Lots of strength in the nose and taste. Alchohol in both. Pine, malt, hint of raisin, bitter fruits and hops. I didnít like the alchohol burn combined with these flavors, but I can think of several people who would LOVE it.