overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 2456   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. íCourse thereís always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
MrManning (2009) - Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 17, 2005
Thanks goes out to IMTHEOPTIMATOR for sending me this baby! Double Bastard makes me feel like an unworthy heathen. I bow down and beg forgiveness! I want to be worthy! Pours dark amber body with a huge off white bubbly head. Aromas are pine trees, citrus, vanilla, massive hops and caramel. Taste is srtong pine, grapefruit, molasses, vanilla, wood, and lots of hop bitterness. Wow. I could drink this all the time. Great lingering cirtus flavour. Awesome!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bethmatt0421 (337) - Covington, Kentucky, USA - SEP 10, 2005
I smelled this for five minutes trying to disect it. A very complex aroma, some hint of chocolate, maybe even vanilla,but not much. Earthy, with hints of raisin. smells a little like whiskey. Strong tastes of chocolate and hops. very lightly sweet. Very smooth palate, all the way through with just a slight tingly feeling on the tongue.Soft carbonation, Oily-creamy texture, long finish, thick bodied and it leaves a warming feeling in the chest, due to the high alcohol content. Itís one of the better looking beers sitting in the glass that Iíve seen so far.Hazy dark brown with an amber red tint, with a thin beige-white head that laces the glass. My first Stone Brew. It packs a whallop! I think itís a make or break beer due to how strong it is

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
nwbeer (3) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - SEP 8, 2005 does not count
This beer is great at any time, with food or not, with reason or not. Itís one of the Big Beautiful Beers of the beer world.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Hazmatt (363) - Virginia, USA - SEP 6, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 3, 2006 Bottle. Oh Bastard! itís so delectable. Dark brown, brown head, aroma is so involved itís hard to describe...molasses, chocolate, caramel. Bold, aggressive brew. Heavy maltiness, alcohol warming, chocolate notes, somewhat creamy, highly hopped but well balanced and very complex. Man, I hope to have this on tap one day.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
csbosox (1229) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - SEP 3, 2005
Figured it was time to drink after holding for half a year (if not more). Itís late at night, I drank some cheap wine and had a smoke, but I feel confident to make a good rating. 22oz bottle, 2004 release. I think ClarkVV sent this too me in the "stone" trade where I got 6-7 of their beers. Poured into my NB worthy glass a shade over 52į. I can smell the malt already. The color is reddish orange, almost a light brown. The head is never impressive and dies down to nothing but a few bubbles quickly. when swirled, the beer just coat the glass. The smell is like a big íol west coast barleywine, a la SN Bigfoot. The aromas are of malt, caramel, biscuts, raisins, turbino sugar, and some spice. Really nice nose. The initial taste is huge, slighty sweet caramel with some hops begging to get in, when the hops invade, they put up an epic fight with the malt. This is a Stone beer and the hops win, but the malt put up a valiant fight. The hops are floral and spicy and a bit abrasive. There is a lingering bitterness. I am not sure, but the age might have helped this beer, was it formally a DIPA? The finish is the hops and some alcohol burn, it is not bad, but I fear what will happen when this beer gets another 10į warmer...This is a big, agressive beer and I can imagine many people hating it and many people loving it, I am not in either of those camps. It is a good beer, but maybe a touch hot and abrasive without the payout another hot beer, Rochefort 10 is giving me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
xenthem0nk (101) - Oregon, USA - AUG 21, 2005
Bottle. Dark brown in the glass with 1 minute head. Although I can tell that this ale is complex and Stone are great brewers, it aint my thing. It does deserve good ratings due to its nature however, but it wont get good ratings from my taste bud preferences. The commercial description is great marketing. Lots of strength in the nose and taste. Alchohol in both. Pine, malt, hint of raisin, bitter fruits and hops. I didnít like the alchohol burn combined with these flavors, but I can think of several people who would LOVE it.

alobar (3098) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 20, 2005
Truly "Liquid Arrogance." Chocolately color with a creamy head. Caramel, chocolate, and pine aroma. Taste of caramel, pine hops, and spices. A wonderful combination. This is the first beer Iíve ever drank that sent me to the dictionary.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Firemoose15 (567) - Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 19, 2005
Out of a bottle. Aroma of caramel, raisin and some piney hints. Poured a darker amber with a nice off white head. Taste was very enjoyable, caramel and cherry, spice and hops combined quite well. Palate was nice and warm and inviting. Once again Stone is solid as a rock when it comes to making libations.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
richlikebeer (838) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 18, 2005
much thanks to my former apprentice, firemoose15, for bringing this one over, plus giving me another one for my own enjoyment. poured a deep amber with a thick creamy off white head that retained itself for the duration of the glass. sweet caramel and maple syrup components to the aroma, along with some pine and raisins. sweet caramel flavors, cherry and maple, along with pine hops and spices. smooth combination of the flavors and a slight warming sensation from the abv leads me to ask the question...does Stone make a bad beer?

mrkimchee (1414) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 31, 2005
deep reddish brown, well retained beige head. aroma of mixed dried fruit, cakedy malt, cherries and rediny hops. big and bold full mouthfeel. flavour starts sweet and tangy but quickly moves boozy and piney with lots of bitterness. very.