Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 2467   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. íCourse thereís always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
1FastSTi (3346) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 7, 2005
UPDATED: APR 16, 2007 Thanks to kramer17801 for this 2004 bottle. The brew pours to a think khaki head that leaves lots of lacing. The body is a red garnet color. The aroma is very strong. Lots of dark fruits, oaken barrels, English walnuts, some sorta fruit jam. Almost like a really over the top brown ale thatís been barrel aged. The flavor seems to carry some Amarillo hops with lots of sweet components. Again, I detect lots of things that remind me of a brown ale, but a really over the top brown ale. Oaked walnuts, maple syrup, strong "strange" hops, sweetness. Itís like they made jam out of hops and walnuts. Perhaps a chutney? Anyway, this is pretty intense and still quite enjoyable. The palate well masks the 10% alcohol. I donít "taste" it, but there is definitely a warming effect. Medium bodied yet really smooth and not very lingering. I liked the "regular" bastard a little better. Both are good brews.
Thanks to Chuck for sharing his 2004 bottle. I arrived at the final total of 4.2 of my previous rating without realizing I already rated this.
2003 vintage consumed on 4/15/2007. The beer pours to a very clean red-hued body with a bubbly tan head. Excellent lacing. The aroma is English toffee and nougat. Sweet sherry and nicely aged malt. The hops are still apparent. The flavor is much like the aroma and is full of nicely aged barley, sherry, nougat, and toffee. The palate is creamy, moderately full bodied, lightly bitter peanuts. 8, 4, 8, 4, 17

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TomDecapolis (4618) - Milton, Delaware, USA - NOV 4, 2005
Thanks to egajdzis. Pours a translucent red amber small off white lacing head. Aroma of dark fruits, alcohol, caramel and vanilla. Flavor is nice and creamy, roasted malts and nicely balanced by some great bitter hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BitchesBrew (715) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - NOV 4, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 30, 2006 [bomber] Pours a nice red-amber color, with a white head that sticks around for quite a while. A really beefed-up version of the standard Bastard: major hops, major malts and some subtle vanilla. The alcohol certainly has a greater presence in this brew. This is an excellent, strong brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
weeare138 (936) - Collegeville, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 4, 2005
Thanks to egajdzis for this... Appears a dark amber with an ivory white head. Spotty lacing is left on the glass . Smell is of tons of malt, hops, along with some oaky vanilla going on. Taste is of the same aromas. Very nice and hard to put into words. All I know is that I like it. Mouthfeel is super smooth with a sweetness that comes through. This is awesome but some abv is evident and youíll be able to tell.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
adrian910ss (2434) - philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 27, 2005
2004 22 oz bomber. Pours a amber brown color with a very thick creamy beige head. Aroma is very malty with hops prominent. Also smells like a freshly cut oak tree. Taste has that brandy feel to it. Powerful stuff. Very hoppy and malty with hints of nuts,caramel and vanilla. Slightly stronger and better than Arrogant Bastard.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jeffsloane (10) - USA - OCT 26, 2005
Doesnt quite measure up to its cousin at any level except possibly appearance. Really the question you might be asking yourself is "why?". The it becomes glaringly obvious: 10% holy shit! So, while it doest taste as great as Arrogant bastard, this stuff can get you pretty fíd up.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ruggedman (647) - Portland, Maine, USA - OCT 17, 2005
Honestly the Arrogant Bastard is better. This is just a bit too much bastard for me. It really is a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate...but then again I guess thats the point. Itís still good for itís complexity since it took me quite a while to figure it all out. So for that I must say itís impressive. Iíll continue to be an arrogant bastard fan, but iíll leave this for you big bastards out there.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Jdawgz (1) - USA - OCT 15, 2005 does not count
This is the best beer Iíve ever had. Let me qualify that: Iíve just started trying craft beers, but of the ten or so Iíve tried so far- Yes, a pretty small amount, but so what- This was truly an eye opener. I never had a beer that tasted as complex as the 10% alcohol Double Bastard, and it almost tasted like hard liquor to me, a brandy or close to it. I canít quite describe all the flavors this brew boasted, and while it seemd like a íbig beerí to me, I certainlyt noticed the alcohol, a warm fuzzy feeling almost after the first taste, anmd then heavy malt, many other flavors, but mostly a nice alkie heat. Iíll let yíall know more as my taste buds develop. I assume thatíll happen from some of the posts yíall leave, but now I canít tell whether Iím tasting big old blackberries, or toasted somethings. I know I like it alot and that Iím about to stop drinking Baltica as my go to. This is certainly more expensive, but at 10% alkie, it translates pretty closely to the brews Iím used to. Thanks a bunch for putting me on to this kind of brew. I wouldnítía known about it unless yíall pointed me in the right direction. Aní Iím pretty trashed right about now. Much obliged.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - OCT 2, 2005
UPDATED: APR 23, 2011 3 qt 5.4 oz bottle (which is bloody huge). Pours stark ruby with a massive, persistent beige head that leaves thick, rocky lacing. The aroma contains hops, hops, hops, hops, and caramel malt. The flavor... wow. A plethora of robust caramel malt is awash in a veritable ocean of hops. As promised, this does assault the palate. Even after the swallow, it is as if the beer is still in my mouth for several minutes. This is brutal, in a good way. Wow. Just wow.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
NachlamSie (3025) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 2, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 11, 2007 giant bottle. Pours ruby red with a solid tan head. The aroma is an assault of hops with a good malty foundation. Some pine and dry fruit notes also. On the first sip I learn that this is a palate destroyer. Huge robust hop taste, great caramel tones, some dry fruit notes. This is one aggressive beer indeed. It will be quite a chore to finish this 3 quart bottle, this is one gigantic beer. (Nov. 15, í06) Split a bomber with Muenster. This is every bit as runious as I remember. Itís a giant beer with tons of biting hop attack with a flood of malt to balance things out. I detected a bit of candy apple in the finish with sweet biscuits and the aforementioned pine, citrus, caramel onslaught. Yeah, this one lives up to the smack-talk. [Dec 11, 2007] <------- of the í07. Okay, I went into this one with expectations this time. Double Bastardís sheer strength would not surprise me. This is a very good beer, itís very bold and complex. The malts provide a familiar biscuity, caramel flavor, yet also divulge into the vinous, fruity, vanilla territory. Hops are fairly strong on this one. Itís a huge beer with a lot to offer, but in the end I canít say I actually enjoy it any more than Arrogant Bastard. Of course, Arrogant Bastard itself is a delicious, well-crafted brew.