overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 2341   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. ’Course there’s always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
IndianaRed (2393) - Boise, Idaho, USA - DEC 23, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 21, 2006 Sampled an ’04 bottle after cellaring for nearly 2 yrs. I would say that over all the flavor has mellowed and smothed out better than I remember from a year and a half ago. Adjusting overall score up a bit. FYI: "Lacerative" 1 : to tear or rend roughly 2 : to cause sharp mental or emotional pain to ’03 Bottle Pours a dark murky redish brown with litle head very nice fine persistant lacing. Aromas are a strong malt and hps combo with some fruity apple and melon notes. Flavors are a very thick robust hefy dark malt. fairly sweet with plenty of bite to it. There is a rich woody flavor as well. Feel is very heavy and smooth. Aftertaste is I think quite strong. Harsh. Not to the dossapointment of Stone I’m sure. Interesting and bold. Will not be a regular in my fridge though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
eleusis (70) - Denver, Colorado, USA - DEC 22, 2004
Very nice thick brew with a mostly malt flavor. Dry and crisp though. Slightly harsh. Decent but not complex enough of a flavor to be one of my fav’s.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
JonR888710 (999) - Cochabamba, BOLIVIA - DEC 21, 2004
Bloody-brown body that is relatively clear. Head is medium-thick, toasted-brown bubbles. Smells of pine, melon,papaya, tangy citrus and sugar malt. Taste is broad and strong, and thankfully, not too sweet, as many Stone beers are. Lots of melon/pine hops riding on a nice roasted malt base. Lemon and alcohol warm the palate as well. Aftertaste is very bitter but just enough to make the inside of your cheeks sweat, certainly not overly arrogant. 10% alcohol is also subdued. I received this bottle from my great friend Jeremy (jgb9348) and it has a year of age on it, which is perhaps why everything was so mellow about this ’aggresive’ beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 11/20
davidCC (130) - New York, USA - DEC 21, 2004
Ok I for one think that this beer is not good at all. It tastes like Molson Triple X which tases of cabage water. Anyway you really have to like strong ale’s to like this beer, so don’t go spend a dime unless your sure. Good aroma was its one saving quality.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - DEC 20, 2004
2004 Poured a dark reddish brown with a light tan head. Aroma of citrus and floral hop and sweet malt. Flavor starts sweet and malty and quickly turns to grapefruit and citurs hops and a big bitter hop finish. Big body thick, chewy, sticky, and viscous.

BuckNaked (1230) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - DEC 20, 2004
22oz Bottle 2004: Ruby brown color with a medium tan head. Medium bodied, syrupy, perfect carbontion. Aroma: grapefruit, floral notes, very hoppy, with some caramel and sweet malt. Taste: this could pretty much be a barleywine. Very hoppy, grapefruit, flowers, earth, grass, citrus, fruits, berries, but what makes this beer good is the solid malt behind those hops - sweet toasted grains, caramel, a hint of chocolate. Finishes sticky, bitter, syrupy, with notes of tea, hops and alcohol.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
HopasaurusRex (195) - Glen Ellyn, Illinois, USA - DEC 20, 2004
04’ vintage-Such an interesting beer. I used to think it was an Imperial IPA, but it really is an American Strong or Stock ale, so its correctly identified here. I’d actually like more hop character to come through, but that’s just me. A very nice malt profile and very well integrated with enough hop bitterness to back it up. I hope I’m worthy enough to enjoy it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
willblake (2652) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - DEC 19, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 25, 2006 12.19.04 Bomber thanks to, um, ah, er, ahhhhh...I forget who sent me this sweetheart, but I thank you. Ruby red and brown pour with full and lasting head. Aromas fill the air of fruitcake, grapefruit, gasoline, and cat piss. Big malt front on this brew, typical Stone, then massive grapefruit pith bitterness. If I had blind tasted this brew I might be shocked by the flavors, but it’s not -- it says Stone right on the label and I see the gargoyles and all and there’s some nonsense written on the back of the bottle insulting me and daring me to taste this concoction. Damn, I would truly enjoy living somewhere that I could get these everyday. Anyway, palate is outstanding, syrupy smooth with gum tingling hops. The stuf gets better with each sip.

updateNow Stone is sending this elixir to NJ and I can only say that I was right, its presence has added to my overall enjoyment of life. Massive, sticky, numbing, and necessary. Thanks Stone.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BennyTicklez (621) - USA - DEC 17, 2004
pours burgundy/brownish with a small white head. Big hop aroma. Is this a barleywine? Huge warming sensation after just one sip. Way bitter all the way through. Over the top from start to finish. A good one for sure.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
VAYankee (327) - Virginia, USA - DEC 17, 2004
Clear, dark reddish brown body with a thick cream colored head. Aroma is strongly hoppy and fruity with an underlying malt sweetness. Starts fruity, on a modest malt backbone, alcoholic and slightly harsh; finishes dry, alcoholic, and lightly bitter.