overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 2377   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. íCourse thereís always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jercraigs (8059) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 29, 2005
2004 Release, Rated Jan 2005. Ruby body, with a big fluffy off white head. Aroma is similarly hoppy to the Arrogant Bastard, bit maltier. Massive hoppy bitterness barges across the tongue, pulling a rough malty alcoholic fury behind it. Surprisingly balanced with the alcohol and malt providing a backbone for the overreaching hop assault nicely. Medium to full bodied, surprisingly smooth. Please sir, can I have some more?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
elektrogeist (158) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JAN 29, 2005
Double the bastard double the fun, they just got this in at Leeís for the year along with the 8th anniversary. Careful how much you drink though, after sharing half a bottle between me and my friend we were definitely feeling the burn. Great stuff!

jesse (1) - USA - JAN 27, 2005 does not count
Been out of beer circles for a while till my brother showed up with this intense elixer! OMFG - PWNED - This is so intense I love it. I cant ddescribe it like some of the great reviewers here bUT I REALLY LOVE IT AND I GUESS THAT what matters. -jesse

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - JAN 27, 2005
2004: Poured ruby amber brown with a nice tan head...smell is hops; resin...taste is up front a little sweet and fruity...definate dark fruits; cherries, plums, prunes...then more hops...the mouth turns bitter and the bitterness grows quickly followed by the sweet burn of alcohol...while good and complex, this is over-rated...we rate extreme qualities highly but I feel they need to atleast blend or balance somehow...kinda like a pile of salt, sugar, black pepper, cayenne, and MSG all in a row...and put a little on each finger...they just donít segue into each other...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
wnhay (722) - Princeton, New Jersey, USA - JAN 26, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2006 Thank you Liquorama for making this tasting possible. Iíve only sampled this so far. The pour is very similar to the Victory Old Horizontal. It is dark brown with an even creamier head. The aroma is awesome with hops, oak, pine, pineapple, graitfruit and plum. The malts are very noticeable. The taste is a 10 plus. It was so much smoother then I was expecting it to be. There was citrus, pineapple, graitfruit, bread, hops and more hops, pine, plum, malt, cherry, and I think some Kiwi as well. This is really awesome. One of the best beers I have ever tasted. Arrogant Bastard is wonderful, but now I am spoiled. Correction this beer appears similar to Arrogant Bastard, but is very different. I see it as an American Strong Ale and a Barley Wine at the same time. The beer turns into a Barley Wine as it warms because there is more Brandy in the taste as it goes down. This is what makes it a classic. Re-rate-This is as great as ever. However as a friend pointed out there might be something better out there. That is why I donít give it a perfect score.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
cathcacr (636) - Oregon, USA - JAN 26, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 24, 2006 This isnít merely a lacerative muther of a beer, itís [CENSORED -- the Admin considered my very apt, very over-the-top review too much even for this site]

Okay, by unpopular demand, a clean(er) version: Because he is hard, you will not like him, but the more you hate him, the more you will learn, amateurs. After succumbing to oral invasion by this nasty mutha, this repulsive swine, this domineering SOB, this offense to all common decency, motherhood and apple pie, after a long train of usurpations, abuses and tyranny against my palate, after he expectorated in my eyes, bent me over a table and Double Gang Banged me in the posterior region to the point of intolerably ecstacy, I forever became his dirty little hop-whore begging to be smacked some more a la Tuesday Weld (that naughtier, more prurient version of Jessica Lange) in an epic Sergio Leone masterpiece -- and I ainít shariní my horde. How you like that, beeeeyatch?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MI2CA (1340) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - JAN 24, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 26, 2006 22oz - Original rating 01/24/2005 6,3,8,4,17=3.8 - 2004 release - Mild aroma. What is there smells of plums and malt. Dark mahogany with a small tan head and slight lacing. Taste is where this beer takes off. Strong flavor of dark fruit and malt with some hoppiness for good measure. Lingering taste begs for more. Not my favorite Stone brew, but Iíll have it again after it ages.

RERATE 01/04/06 - 22oz - 2005 release - Aroma is a ton of carmel malt. Also toffee, raisin, and a big hop back. Pours deep brown with no head and decent lacing. Flavor is creamy carmel, toffee, raisin, and a strong hop back. It wasnít until the beer approached room tempature that the hops in the aroma and flavor really stepped forward and slapped me in the face. Palate is sticky, tart, and sweet. Still a bit hot and I wonder how the 2004 in my cellar is holding up. A very tasty brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
EdPaulsen (117) - Rochester, New York, USA - JAN 23, 2005
for me, about as over the top as it gets. the hops with this one stick with you for minutes after each sip. other than the intense taste and full body, there is not a huge alcohol taste to back up the 10%abv. maltiness appears in the form of a huge body rather than sweetness, or grainy tastes. that i suppose is my only beef with it, not well balanced or pleasurable enough to warrant its price or rarity.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
dortmunder (961) - Herdecke, GERMANY - JAN 23, 2005
Bottled. It pours a rather clear ruby red colour with a big, slightly off-white head. Sweet, cookie and molasses aroma mixed with notes of nuts and dark fruits. Initially it tastes sweet, caramelly and heavily malty. Then, even more so as the beer warms up, cocoa and molasses come to the forefront, and some hints of dark fruits, especially plums. Ends pretty bitter, and the bitterness lingers, but the finish is also quite sweet. Itīs between medium- and full-bodied, and has a somewhat smooth mouthfeel. The alcohol is well-hidden. I actually expected something more extreme and bitter, but found the bitterness not over-whelming, working rather nicely together with the rest of the flavours and characteristics of this beer. Thanks to saarlander for this one.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
nchoward (24) - Iowa, USA - JAN 22, 2005
This is a great big brotha beer of the Arrogan Bastard. This 100+ IBU beer is heavilty malty and excellently balanced. Fruity (dates, raisins) in taste and finishes with a mild to medium bitter hops bite. Get this in the 3L bottle. Thatís the best way to drink it.