overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 2344   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. ’Course there’s always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
SlackerMads (1623) - Greater London, ENGLAND - AUG 10, 2014
Bottle date 10-06-2013. Craft beer shit talk on the back of the bottle is about as long as the bible, so tldr that either. Clear chestnut brown with a medium sized diminishing beige head. Nuts, caramel, booze, brown sugar, sherry, over ripe banana, grapefruit astringency. Full body, oily texture, medium carbonation, medium/heavy sweet and bitter. Hot finish. Rough and clumsy. Not very pleasant and no sense in paying for this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Experiment_Ale (1013) - Dallas, Texas, USA - AUG 9, 2014
At Justin’s house warming party. Pours murky brown with white lacing. Aroma is cardboard, nice molasis figs, on the complex side. Taste, is as expected. It’s a very nice barleywine, just not my style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Garrold (1372) - Sheffield, South Yorkshire, ENGLAND - AUG 8, 2014
Bottle from Brewdog, Sheffield. Big, boozy, chewy, sweet, toffee malt. Overripe orange. Light, spicy herb. Taste is orange sweet. Spicy dry. Burnt bitterness. Big, chewy toffee palate. Finishes big. With added bigness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Orosinii (1) - - JUL 27, 2014 does not count
Lovely ale - properly layered brilliance best to savour on a sunny afternoon with a BBQ. Rich initial caramel malty texture, not too much alcohol for the strength but it is there hiding, slightly smokey with a with a small hop kick. Just Devine!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
duganc (13) - , New Jersey, USA - JUL 20, 2014
2013 Bottling. Another night, another Rocky Patel Edge Lite and now a Double AB added to the equation. Pour is a thick dark amber with a thin ring of suds that stick to the goblet as I sip. Malt and slight orange peel aroma - nice! Alcohol not as forward as one would expect for an 11.2. Lingering bitter finish. Just reward after an out-n-back overnight backack/camping trip. Will be adding three to cellaring stock for annual reviews. Yum!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
rentonj7 (43) - USA - JUL 18, 2014
2013 bottling Aroma: Thick dried fruit, plums, raisins, slight caramel. Appearance: Deep cherry amber. Very little head. Tiny bubbled lacing that’s edging towards brandy. Taste: Dried fruits, lots of sweetness to go with the alcohol, some piney hops, caramel. Every sip seems to reveal another layer. Cherries slipping into the picture now. Palate: Medium/full body, carbonation is more lively in the mouth than the glass. Starts off syrupy/stick and then slightly dry finish that bitters. Overall: This is a world tour of flavor and aroma. It really hides the abv well. I may prefer the oaked version for a more regular occasion, but this really knocks my socks off. Outstanding.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
tambrico (50) - New York, USA - JUL 3, 2014
This is such a badass beer. To me this tastes pretty much the same as Arrogant Bastard, just with more alcohol and perhaps a bit more character. I appreciate its complexity and its brazen character, but I can’t say I really enjoy drinking it. But at the same time hell yeah I’d drink it again.

jbuskirk (444) - Holdrege, Nebraska, USA - JUL 2, 2014
Stone’s Bastard releases never fail to blow my mind. For me, Double Bastard proved to be every bit as enjoyable as the other releases that I’ve, well, enjoyed (Arrogant Bastard and Oaked Arrogant Bastard). The malty caramel note that this brew starts off with is sublime. The spicy, herbal hop kick that comes after that is even better. Did I say better than sublime? I suppose that doesn’t make much sense. Yet, I do indeed consider Double Bastard to be twice as good as Arrogant Bastard. Admittedly, that’s a paradox. I consider Arrogant Bastard to be perfect. How can something be two times more perfect? Exactly. Infinity times two still equals infinity. That’s the nature of the Bastard series. Every beer is better than the last... even though the last one was perfect. Shit, maybe I shouldn’t drink so much before I post these reviews... Anyway, Double Bastard has a gorgeous amber-red color with a lovely off-white head. Aroma has boozy sweetness, dark fruits, and pungent hops. My bomber was bottled on 9/01/2013 which meant I was a mere 2 months and 1 day away from a year-old bottle. Oh well. The hops were still plenty aggressive but a bit refined. One thing’s for damn sure: the body was thick and the mouthfeel was warming in the best possible way. Okay, so I guess that was actually two things. Sue me. At the end of my tasting, I couldn’t find any gripes with this beer. I also fully enjoyed reading the bottle notes. Any brewery that uses the word "masturbatory" when talking about their ale is okay by me. Double Bastard made my night by giving me balls-out flavor with a healthy dose of class. I wouldn’t expect anything less than that from Stone.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
VastActiv (2859) - Oulu, FINLAND - JUN 26, 2014
Bottle at Pikkulintu, Helsinki. Originally rated 30122011. Colour is cloudy brown with small white head. Aromas and flavours: Fruits, sweetness, caramel and malts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TXBadger (1398) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUN 25, 2014
Pours a deep amber color with off-white head. Caramel malts, floral notes, and some citrus on the nose; follows onto the palate. Finishes with more malt.