Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 2485   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01/5   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. ’Course there’s always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
heemer77 (5210) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - NOV 23, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 25, 2006 New rating. I have figured out that I prefer some of Stone’s beers after a couple years of aging. The peanut shell character goes away and the hops smooth out. This should not be drank green. Oranges and hay in the tase with an aroma of similar character with a few years on it. This pours a light brown and red color with a thin head. The aroma is bread and rotten oranges. Not pleasurable. The mouthfeel is very thick and sticky. This has cinnamon spice, pears, salted peanuts. Ths is nothing special. I am not sure why I seem to get salty peanuts in a few of Stone’s beers, but it really throws me off. The alcohol is very well hidden. Thanks MrFacto for sharing this.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
phiconners (149) - Massachusetts, USA - NOV 22, 2004
Pours a beautiful dark copper. Taste is strong, and it truly takes Arrogant Bastard to the next level. Some fruit tones, strong hops. The alcohol is well masked, but you get a slightly warm feeling afterwards. For such a stong beer it is incredibly smooth. This one is at the top of my list.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Mangino (1027) - Mississippi, USA - NOV 22, 2004
Pours dark wine-red, small head. Aroma of oranges, malts, hops, and spice. Lots of malt in taste, similar to a barleywine. Very assertive, flavorful. Palate is "assaulted". A very nice brew. Thanks Shag, you bastard!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
MIBRomeo (2570) - Wisconsin, USA - NOV 22, 2004
the aromah hinted of hopps and light malts w/ a bit of citrus. It poured a light red hugh w/ a tiny soap buble head. The taste reminded me of a barley whine slightly sweet w/ a bitter aftertaste. The palate was very rich and creamy with some nice carbonation. Overall it was a great beer my only complaint would be in the slightly dry aftertaste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Reid (2138) - Salem, Oregon, USA - NOV 21, 2004
Ahhh at long last I have thee in my clutches!! Long have I waited for the Bastard to "set me free". What an absolutlly gorgeous beer to look at,dark red,garnet in the light,small streams of carbonantion, great frothy off white head, that recedes to leave luxurious lacing, excellent..when the entry "beer" comes up in an encyclopedia this should be the one in the picture. Very vineous,toasty aroma,sweet,smells of prunes,figs and fruitcake. Again quite sweet indeed, to taste but its a dark,slightly decomposed sweetness, like prunes,figs and dark wild berries,after the sweetness a great bitterness,and a warming alcoholic tang.Warming all the way down, but in reality the 10% alcohol is barely noticable. Exceptional mouthfeel on this creamy smooth and a great warming after taste. I have to say this a beauty of a beer and very drinkable,,maybe dangerously so, for a 10% beer. review was for the 2004 release.

footbalm (1219) - Western Minneapolis Suburbs, Minnesota, USA - NOV 21, 2004
pours a mohagany/reddish brown witha little creamy head.Nose is sweet and big on the dark fruits.Syrupy goodness.Unlike the syrupy medicine when you were young this potion contains a combo of Dark cherries and a caramel candy creation.Thick on the palate.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
crazyvin (2026) - New York, USA - NOV 21, 2004
reddish-brown body with light tan head, minimal retention. Sweet aroma almost fruity with some spice. Full heavy hop flavor mixed with sweet maltand alcohol.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - NOV 20, 2004
Reddish amber color, full tan head. Very mild aroma, some light, spicy hops, a pinch of malt. The flavor was much better, fruity, spicy, hoppy, with a decent kick of alcohol. Fuller bodied, some alcohol, but not too much. I’m disappointed. I have another bomber though so I’ll see if that one’s any better.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
shoeshineboy (81) - Youngstown, Ohio, USA - NOV 20, 2004
This is the first beer i took the time to rate in a while.... cause it was good. arrogant bastard boo! Double Bastard Hurray!!!

rajendra82 (999) - Alpharetta, Georgia, USA - NOV 19, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 24, 2006 This bomber (accompanied by a second – making this a pair of doubles) came to me courtesy of clvand0, as part of a great trade.

The beer was poured into my usual goblet reserved for strong hoppy beers of this kind. The pour looked dark reddish amber in color, and the initially creamy head soon died out to a thin layer of bubbles, and stick lace patterns.

The aroma was very alcoholic, with a good dose of strong piney and grassy hops thrown in. Mild is not the word that came to mind when my nose approached the rim of the glass.

The taste was very hot and sweet, with caramel, raisins, pine tar, grapefruit rinds, and tobacco juice coming to the forefront. There was a bit of rubber like off flavor, but I attribute it to the greenness of this bottle.

Sticky and full on the palette, the aftertaste was strangely vacant. Warming alcohol content set my ears ringing after each sip. And a sip is about all I could take each time my lips touched the rim of the glass. At this point in time the beer is not very drinkable, but in a few more years, it ought to be a thing of beauty.

It’s been nearly a year and a half since I acquired this bomber via trade, and I read today that this beer tastes best at this age. My palette has evolved quite a bit since the last time I tried this one. It is time to find out if this beer has undergone some evolution as well.

The beer came out the traditional color of barleywine, which to me is burgundy with a touch of orange. The first pour was clear, and had a one finger thick head with remarkable staying power. Carbonation in the underlying beer was gentle looking but steady. The aroma was multilayered malts with vanilla, hazelnut, toffee, and chocolate. Not many hops were detectable using the nose. The taste was amazingly complex as well. Flavors of chocolate, oak, black pepper, raisins, and mandarin orange were found in each sip. The mouthfeel however was a little pricklier than I remembered. Radiating warmth was felt in the belly, letting the alcoholic strength numb away all angst about letting this sit in a warmer than recommended cellaring closet. I can see this one going a few more years along the ascending path. Unfortunately no more bottles are left in the cellar to test the theory. Time for a Chattanooga beer run soon I think.