Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 2481   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01/5   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. íCourse thereís always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ragesaq (71) - Arizona, USA - NOV 6, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 14, 2006 2004 bomber: Wow! That was my first impression. Having been a long fan of Stone Beer I had high expections but not really sure what to expect. Aroma is a fruitierwith a hint of spiced candied fruit. Flavor is sweeter than the arrogant bastard, more blended and balanced, an almost spiced kick behind the most delicious malt flavor ever. High in alcohol, but not quite as prominante in taste compared to the ABA. Once you adjust to how powerful this ale is, its pure beer indulgence. Second bottle a few days later further improved my opinion of this beer. Top it all off with one of the coolest bottle designs I have ever seen.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Padron4KM (735) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - NOV 6, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 22, 2007 2004 bottle Pours a beautiful orangey red, with a small reddish tan head that dissipates quickly. spotty lace left behind
Aroma is sweet fruits and flowery hops.
flavor is sweet, creamy then grapefruity, then sweet candied fruit, then citrusy, ending with a ruby red grapefruit with a spoonful of sugar finish.
The kind of taste that leaves your tongue tingling and your lips smacking for more.
alcohol is well hidden.
That is until you finish the bottle.
05 version sampled in 07. aroma is loaded with caramel and fruit. Hops are still evident in the flavor, balanced by sweet malt and subtle fruitiness. Long grapefruit finish still intact. This baby has really held up well. Wish I had more because I donít think it is anywhere near itís peak.

07 version is a little less assertive in the beginning, but after it warms for a bit the hops really shine. ABV is extremely well hidden yet again. I have a case this year, so I should be able to cellar a some. Orig. 8-4-8-4--18

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
verymerrymonk (413) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - NOV 5, 2004
2004 bottle: A dark brown body with a huge, fluffy tan head. Aroma is huge: fresh hops, sweet fruit, and alcohol. Flavor is slightly sweet, followed by an awesome, dominating, bitter kick and finishes dry. I will have to stock up on this one while it is available.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cAPSLOCK (156) - Dallas, Texas, USA - OCT 20, 2004
What a lovely and luxiourious beer. The aroma sets the bar VERY high. It Hoppy, a little flowery, and slight undertones of malt and alcohol. This beer is much more full bodied and round than itís little brother. It does not really have the spikey upfrontness as a regular bastard. ;) But this is because it is just all things wrapped up in one drink. FAR more strong booze wise than it tastes. ;) Unlike ABA, it is more equally balanced between malts and hops, with malts getting the edge slightly. This is a hard beer for me to describe since it is able to be ALL things except weak.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
785pro (10) - California, USA - OCT 17, 2004
This is by far my favorite Ale to come out of Stone Brewing. Very sweet, and hoppsy. I love the ruby red/brown color. Excellent ale.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
marcus (7990) - Sacramento, California, USA - OCT 14, 2004
I had heard so many good things about this beer that I saved it for a few months to drink on my birthday. That was a good decision, since it turned out to be one of the best beer drinking bouts in my long life. Talk about flavor: malt, hops, alcohol, sweetness, fruitiness - this beer has it all, blended together artfully. Afterwards, I took a happy, dizzy nap and woke up ready for another.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Crosling (1864) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - OCT 4, 2004
UPDATED: APR 15, 2005 The Double Bastard poured a clear ruby brown with a generous head floating on the top. The nose was full of rich tropical hops and a very high malt presence. The flavors of this beer were what I had come to expect from any Stone brew: extreamly complex and an assault on the palate. Flavors of all kinds of fruits, huge hops, and a malt sweetness that balanced so well together. This is a huge beer. Big Malt, Big Hops and the alcohol is very evident and warming.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Rentalman (103) - British Columbia, CANADA - SEP 29, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 24, 2004 (Draft) This beer is worth driving to the USA for. Like the other Stone beers I have sampled this beer was no multinational lager drinkers swill. The people at stone have an agressive eye for the unusual. A touch more hops and it would be even better i think.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
redave (165) - squaw valley, California, USA - SEP 18, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 3, 2007 Havenít had this for several years or so, back then i wasnít quite so enamored with it. Not that i didnít like it, i guess i felt if it was double then i was expecting to be blown away with over powering intensive flavors, and if i remember right, i was surprised that it seem mellow in comparison to single bastard. Fast forward to today... 2006 release. [after several years of double IPA, and other massive ales, Iíve learned that double doesnít mean approaching painful, in fact many double IPAís are in some ways more mellow that regular IPAís, the extra malt seems to smooth out some of the edges... same for this] Pours a similar color to single bastard. dark brown amber, more dense, if not exactly cloudy, nice thick creamy head. sticky lace all the way down. Aroma nice but not intense, some sweet maltiness, with some spices. Taste, a full flavored beer, when you let the flavors swirl around in your mouth the complexity of many flavors is what attracts me to these bigger ales. an earthy like flavor [a totally good way] hops complex malts good stuff! [ serving type: bottle ]

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
smahtnicole (15) - boston, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 15, 2004
This ale made my stomach hurt and my nose run. I had to literally choke back every gulp, the promise of CheeseNips the only thing that got me through. Yet I have never, never never never, been so insulted by a beer in my life as I was by the Double Bastard. I could not live with myself if I did not finish this atrociously horrendous beer: Iím no goddamned pussy.