overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 2381   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. ’Course there’s always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
kwoeltje (2232) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - NOV 22, 2003
(bottle - 2003 batch) deep copper with nice off white head. Hops aroma. Much more balanced than ABA--yeah there's all the hops, but there's a lot of malt as well. Outstanding.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 22, 2003
Pretty garnet color and lustrous cream head. Terrific mouth-watering spicy aroma. Brings some killer hops but contains the perfect balance of cherry malt sweetness to temper this beast. I anticipated an overly aggressive beer but found this to be a godly and sublime beer to sip on. Slightly less nuanced than other high octane brews like Dreadnaught. However I'm already dreading the day that this beer sells out and I find myself craving something that I can no longer have. Time to stock up.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Terminus (3283) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - NOV 22, 2003
2003 bomber-Well well, i walked into my local liquor store here in Las Cruces, NM and what do i see? BOMBERS OF DOUBLE BASTARD. I only bought 2, but i went back today and bought 3 more. anyways, i drank this beer to celebrate my 98% on my GIS exam. This beer is HUGE!!! one of the most balanced ASA's i have EVER had. For some reason this brew reminds me of Three floyds behemoth barleywine in all levels. This beer is awesome fresh and to me, it does not need aging. perfect marriage of hops and malts, probably the best i have ever witnessed in a strong ale. pure drinking bliss!!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
omnivore (270) - San Francisco, California, USA - NOV 20, 2003
Prettier than the Arrogant Bastard in color. More ruby looking. Lacy head. Hoppier aroma. The flavor is wonderful. It's thicker (tasting), smoky, malty, the hops are much more subtle. Slight orange and honey? after taste. It's REALLY nice. Easy to drink. Dangerous... I'm going to have to buy every bottle I see.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bsour (78) - Boise, Idaho, USA - NOV 20, 2003
2003 vintage. It's been a while since I have had this beer. It's better than I remember. Dark brown/red with excellent off-white head. Good lacing all the way down the glass. Aroma tells the story of an abundance of hops and alcohol. The flavor bites quick with lots of hops, alcohol, and slight orange flavors. After it goes down, the bite from the alcohol is very prevalent with citrus flavors lingering throughout the mouth. Great beer. What else does Stone brew?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
flutetokill (523) - Fresno, California, USA - NOV 20, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 7, 2004 Very nice orange color with a ruby glow. Extremely hoppy aroma, full of grapefruit and other citrus. Very sweet malty caramel flavor with a very bitter hoppy bite. One extreme beer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
clvand0 (350) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - NOV 19, 2003
2003 Edition. I've been waiting to try this one for a long time - I also need to re-taste Arrogant Bastard now that my tastes have matured. Served from a 22oz bomber and poured into a Belgian trappist-style glass. This one pours a very nice dark ruby color with a medium tan head that leaves a small trace of lacing on the glass. The alcohol is very evident in the aroma. Fruits (grapefruit?), malts, and the alcohol are the main parts of this most powerful aroma. The malts are strong in the taste and it has a syrup-like characteristic. Grapes and caramel were upfront in the flavor along with a strong alcohol taste. Almost reminds me of red wine in the aroma ... Great beer. Loved it. The description on the back of the bottle is spectacular as well.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
alcoholica (128) - Dublin, Ohio, USA - NOV 18, 2003
Red in color Small head. Some many different aromas that it is hard to pinpoint what they are. Very powerful beer 3 of the 25 oz. beers could knock you on your ass. Extremely malty and sweet with a very bitter bite. This is one hell of a beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
GreatStelle (363) - Chico, California, USA - NOV 18, 2003
very fragrant. Nice dark brown color. the 10% ABV is well masked with lovely flavor. While the traditional bastard is hoppy this is quite malty. This beer deserves high ratings along with the other fine beers from stone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Frank (3026) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 17, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 10, 2005

My second sample of this mean bastard left me somewhat less impressed than my first. Yes, this is a huge beer and that’s to be applauded but it lacks complexity aside from a huge wallop of hops. Fun to drink but certainly not stellar.

Original</P>The arrogance is unbelievable. Brown-orange in color. Next to no head as is generally expected on a huge beer like this. Nose is strong with both malt and hops. I especially notice a certain fruitiness--pineapple, I’d say if I had to guess. Thick as hell with a sharp bite up front that smooths out in the finish. Bitter, bitter, bitter, and heavy. Huge. Damn.