overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 2379   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. ’Course there’s always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Perkeo (322) - Portland, Oregon, USA - NOV 2, 2003
Oily looking, orange amber hue, clear and bright in appearance; earthy, resinous aroma, not overly large on the hop aroma, balanced. Sweet at first, with an all most immediate hit of hop acid, evergreen and orange juice, not so much grapefruit, with a wisp of smoky dryness and carbonics on the finish, with the standard caramel/brandy interplay in this sort of beer. Well done, sets a pretty high standard for over-the-top yet balanced American barleywine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ubiquibeer (140) - Cleveland, USA - NOV 1, 2003
2003 bottle. The beer had literally only been in Ohio for an hour before I got my grubby little beer geek hands on it. Nice tan head, dark amber/red color. I smell hops, malt, fruit, more hops, and some more hops--oh, and some alcohol. Good googly moogly! Taste malty, sweet, grapefruit, but not as bitter of a finish as I had expected (feared). Actually, the finish is devine. Amazing how such a big beer can finish so tender and loving. I AM worthy, albeit just barely. I expected a jacked-up arrogant bastard, but what I got was a delicious, balanced brew. This is tasty but not for the faint of heart. I wonder what this 2003 vintage would taste like in a year or so. Gotta love Stone.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
sloth (2532) - Ceciltucky, Co., Maryland, USA - NOV 1, 2003
2002 bottle. Large lasting tan head. Beautiful, clear ruby brew.Malty, fruity, somewhat piney and some alcohol notes in the nose. Full body, creamy, chewy mouthfeel. The massive malt and hop flavors are well balanced and make for a highly drinkable brew. Alot going on here, fruity, Caramel malt, hops, more malt and more hops in large doses leads to one spicey dry finished killer beer.Friggin lovely!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
unclebleen (620) - California, USA - OCT 30, 2003
I have had this many times but just now getting the chance to rate this wonderful beer. Poured a nice dark red/amber color with a medium very even head. Aroma is very, very hoppy with strong malt and alcohol notes. Taste is like an Imperial or Double Arrogant Bastard. Everything jacked up a notch. The malt, hop and alcohol is even more intense. Big bodied. Yet another great beer from the Stone gang.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - OCT 26, 2003
Wowm this was some powerful stuff. I think I like the arrogant bastard better. This was alot like the 120min IPA, resembling IMO a barleywine. Very tasty and extremely complex, this is something to really be admired.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
xsketchyx (184) - Oregon, USA - OCT 12, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 24, 2004 Split a 3 Litre bottle with some friends. One beer everyone should try. Seems more like a barleywine...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 29, 2003
UPDATED: APR 11, 2006 This brew poured with a beautiful burgundy body topped by a medium thick head with good lacing left on the glass. Then the aroma of sweet caramel malt with god strong hoppy accents and a hint of alcohol hit my nose. My first tast was full of sweet and fruity malt with caramel notes and a good hoppy background. The finish was slightly sweet but mostly bitter and hoppy. I took another sip and another and another (you get the picture) and WHAT THE HELL? All I could taste was bitter hops with a tiny bit of the sweet caramel flavor showing through. I had to take a break. After about 5 minutes, I tried it again and....back to the first thing I tasted. I took a few more sips and BITTER! HOPS! BITTER! HOPS! Man! This beer kicked the hell out of my palate. I’m glad I wasn’t planning on rating any other beer that night. Full bodied and slightly dry.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
slushy (28) - Niagara Falls, New York, USA - SEP 24, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 27, 2003 Copper with a tan head. Oh my! The aroma is wonderful! Oranges, apples, and caramel in the nose. Thick on the tongue with enough bitterness for anyone. Warm alcohol in the throat, dry finish. Nice caramel aftertaste with a dash of pepper. One balls to the wall Strong Ale!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BBB63 (6154) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - SEP 17, 2003
Rating #600! On Tap: Deep ruby hue with strong tan head and excellent lacing. Major piney and citrus hop nose with additional hints of plum, milk chocolate, toffee, molasses, earthy yeast, honey and pepper. Fruity and piney taste supported by nice malt thickness and sweetness. Finish is sticky and some alcohol is slightly noticeable (cleans the palate really). Did I detect a undertone of peat and sea salt? This medium to full-bodied brew has a lush and lively mouthfeel. Outstanding beer! Big hops are very well balanced and it's warming alcohol presence is not overpowering. Highly recommended!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
3fourths (8229) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - SEP 4, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 31, 2009 Big sugary thick nose. Hops and alcohol show up late in the drink, and it’s a little musty in the finish. Nice flavors of dark, old fruit, lots of alcohol in the nose. Good carbonation and body. Dark murky deep amber hue with a dark tan head. More alcohol in the nose than Arrogant Bastard, but the overall sugar taste is not something I enjoy. I like AB more than this one.